Church of Constantine Lips

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

This ancient Istanbul church was founded by Constantine Lips Dungarios, a Byzantine naval commander, in the 10th century, and dedicated to the Immaculate Mother of God. In 1261, Empress Theorora, wife of Michael VIII Palaeologus, added a second church and a funerary chapel, where she and her sons were buried. It was converted to a mosque in 1496, and given the name "Feneri Isa," or "Lamp of Jesus," in honor of Isa (Jesus) who was the leader of a sufi brotherhood who worshiped here.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0