Jump to content

Baths of Roxelana

Sign in to follow this  

These baths in Sultanahmet, Istanbul were built in 1556 for Suleyman the Magnificent, by the architect Sinan and named after Suleyman's wife, Roxelana. They were used by the congregation of the Aya Sofya, which had been converted to a mosque. The ladies' and men's entrances are on opposite ends, the two halves forming a symmetrical structure. After 1910 it was used for other purposes, but it has been restored and again operates as a hamam (public bath).

Sign in to follow this  
×