Referendum On 12th September

lostinparadise

Could anyone out there fill me in on what exactly this Referendum is about and how it works. Or point me in the direction of a website that does this. (I have been searching with google but have not found anything that really answers my questions ).I understand that only a couple of the amendments in the package were opposed by the opposition parties. Does this mean that if the 'No' vote wins the Referendum, the other amendments will go through?? Or wil the whole package be dropped?I'd like to learn more about the amendments themselves also.

hi lostinparadise,you really seem lost ;)here is a link to a turkish news article about the details of the amendment.http://www.haberturk.com/gundem/haber/5418...isecek-maddeleryes, the whole package shall be voted. that is either totally rejected or totally accepted. the most important amnedments in teh package are the ones concerning the sturcture of the constitutional court and that of the high board of judges and prosecutors. the amendment shall give the government more say on the structure of both. the supporters of the amendment says this will bring more democracy (failing to explain how (?!)) whereas the rejecters claim that this package is to enable the government (the executive power) control the independent courts (the judicial power) which is totally against the doctrine of separation of powers. As a lawyer, my personal opinion is to say "no" to the amnedment because of the same reason, even more strongly after the prime minister himself exlpicitly said they want to interfere in the structure of the courts. One more thing I remember from 15 years ago, it was the same Mr. Erdogan who said, "we shall do what we aim to do after we get the constitutional court and the supreme court". that is why I have strong doubts about the future of my country and I will definitely say no.

Thanks very much Pinar. I took Turkish citizenship and have registered to vote. But I wanted to understand what I am voting about!From my experiences of living in other countries, I feel too much government power and control is NOT a good thing for the country. Also looked in more detail at some of the amendments ...what looks at first like a nice idea ..'womans rights' then went on to say that women could be eductated in minority languages. That will keep them even more behind the doors of their homes, and prevent them integrating in society and the workplace!! And why educate girls differently from boys??I will be voting No also.

Thank you for the explanation Pinar. As LiP said, it is difficult for us to understand what is going on even though we've been here quite a long time.To be honest I don't have much interest in politics no matter which country they are in and I wouldn't trust a politician further than I could throw him/her.

Who said I was burying my head in the sand? I will certainly vote on Sunday 12th. All I was saying was that I don't spend the hours that Turks do discussing politics! There are too many hidden agendas for most foreigners to follow with any degree of certainty. As I said before, I do not trust politicians and the individual has very little influence on things that happen and I say that as one who has served on a UK Quango for a few years!

Ah if you are voting, then sorry...I misunderstood. Yes you are right about all the elements below the surface here in politics. I hope they don't go down th extremist path although as they are mostly fond of money here and extremism and para don't mix, I somehow think it unlikely but you never know.

Unfortunately it seems to be heading towards a more religious state. Not good for women especially!

A friend arrived on a BA flight at 4.00 am along with a Thomas Cook flight and before they went through passport control there we 10 people manning ballot boxes. I have asked a Turkish friend if they were really ballot boxes for the referendum and they confirmed they were. I fear the judiciary system wrote their own death warrant when they tried to outlaw the AK party in 2008 and as Erdogan is the most litigious of all Prime Ministers this would definately be beneficial to his hobby. No guesses for which way I will vote.

Not if I had to wear the same gear as women have to in places like Iran and Saudi Benh. One of the reasons that I moved here was to take advantage of the weather and the sea and if I couldn't go out in sleeveless tops and shorts and go swimming without hinderence then I would have to find somewhere else to live. :(

Sunny I thought you moved here because your husband is Turkish? In amy case, after a long marriage of course it would be no problem to get him permanent residence in the uk should things here come to that which i hope they won't. Like you, I believe people should be able to choose how they dress. I somehow doubt Mr Erdogan wants to end torurism here but you never know because these days Istiklal is full of Arabs and as they have more spending power than the average British tourist from an economic point of view i suppose they wouldn't miss the Brits here.

I didn't move here because my husband is Turkish, I'd been living here four years before we married.I wouldn't want to move back to the UK, I'd have to find somewhere else!In spite of the Arabs coming to Turkey I think the country would lose far too much revenue if it frightened other nationalities away.

Sorry, I meant rather that you had the chance to go back to the UK when you got married but elected to stay here:) I don't know whether I agree with you - there is far more money in the Middle East than in Europe (especially right now). As long as the AKP keep a cool but friendly relationship with the US I honestly don't think they'd worry too much. They are much more culturally aligned to the Gulf States and others like them.

Archived