Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

Neighbour's Fire Alarm

Rate this topic

The young student who rents the flat above mine has a fire alarm which would wake the dead. It is a huge ugly red light that looks like a fire engine beacon and the noise it makes quite literally would damage the eardrums, especially outside in the corridor. This week it has started going off by accident and she (in common with the rest of this house) is never at home. Both times she luckily got hold of her flatmate who got back here as soon as he could to switch the darned thing off.My question is - what to do if I can't get hold of either of them and this thing starts off? I mean in particular the weekends when Im usually completely alone in the house.I suppose the police would take ages to come. Would I get into huge trouble if I smashed the thing with a broom pole (even supposing that would turn it off)? It is unbearable. She keeps promising to call the electrician to look at it but of course never does and if I press her on the subject she gets angry.

This might not be lawful or politically correct but I would smash the bloody thing the next time it happens. But that's me, and I've never been known to use a toffee hammer when a sledge hammer is available.

I agree but I don't want to get into trouble for criminal damage:) I have messaged her and she promised to call the alarm company to get it fixed. I am still shaking from the noise. It is literally unbearable.

Tell her you will call the Zabita office and get them to sort it out if she won't. I have attached a link to a thread that Lostinparadise posted about problems with a neighbour and the Zabita sorted it out for her. Go to comment number 9.Link

Thanks Abi that thread was very interesting. What awful neighbours there are in this country:( And the same pattern of absentee landlords. A few years ago when property was cheap Turks were buying bunches of properties for letting out. Ok but at least be responsible for your property. In my house I'm usually the only one in the house at weekends and now everyone is out of town until after the Bayram.

You do suffer with that apartment of yours! :beerchug[1]: