Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

They're Back....

Rate this topic

Those of you who remember my last year's sufferings know what I'm referring to...those tiny black blighters who love blood:(I was under no illusion that no matter how much cleaning and powder I put down the fleas would be back again next year in late July/early August which, according to a knowledgeable friend of mine, is the egg-laying time in Turkey for fleas. It's no coincidence that the bug-busters (who are no use incidentally) leave their business cards in the doors of all the houses around here in the summer and a man comes around with a wheelbarrow laden with various pesticides and powders.I am not going to turn my new floor into a sandpit as I did last year with the old paraquet so will just change the bedclothes (I get bitten in the night so it's obvious where to concentrate on the most), powder the mattress and wash the bedroom floor today.Tomorrow is my cleaning day (I clean every Sunday as it gets so dirty here you can't just leave it) so I'll concentrate on the floors. Laminate tenders to gather a lot of dust as you probably know if you have these floors.My bar-owning neighbour said we ought to get the stairwell fumigated but it cost 400 TL and with all the neighbours away I am not paying for this all myself. As usual a lot of this is due to negligent and uncooperative old f**** neighbours.Turkish people seem to only think of themselves and no wonder there's that saying about 'don't buy a house, buy the neighbours.' To be honest I wish I had a stand-alone villa with no neighbours but I suppose that would have other problems:)Welcome to summer in old Istanbul!

I do feel for you Benh I really do. I have an ongoing problem with rats and squirrels in the roof. Unlike british houses we don't have a loft area, the wooden planks that form the ceiling are attached to the rafters. For over a year we have been battling with these pesky creatures using poison which had some effect and did kill some as we did find a large rat by the house that was in the last throws of death and above the spare room where there must have been a nest above because one day I walked in it to get to the balcony to put the washing out I opened the door and there were hundreds and hundreds of blow flies flying around, it was horrible. All seemed to get back to normal and then a new batch of rats moved in and the noise was awful as they fight such alot, Night time is awful because they are always running around and eating the wood beams. I fully expect the roof to fall down on top of us one day. The worst thing is all the mess that comes through the cracks between the planks it's not nice.Last week my husband got his rifle as the dogs were after something that was in a cupboard under the BBQ on the downstairs terrace, next thing is a hear a loud bang and a very delighted husband who showed me this enomous dead rat. Since then all has been silent in the roof until this morning when I heard something running around above me, not sure if it is a squirrel or a rat. Time will tell if they are back.

Oh dear you are both suffering. I believe that nowadays you can get plug in things that emit a high pitched noise that is audible to animals so it keeps them away. For fleas also there is a machine that attracts and kills them but I think they aren't available in T.You'll just have to keep hoovering and emptying the dust bag outside Benh, that's what all the experts say is best! Alternatively get a flea collar for yourself. :)

Abi, wow - your story makes mine pretty tame. Horrible really! A combination of extreme heat in the summer, old buildings, bad state of repair and WOOD are what bring these horrors to us.Wish I had a rifle here - but it's the neighbours I'd shoot - if I was lucky ever to catch sight of one! They are better at hiding than the fleas really.I saw one of the workmen who had renovated next door and he said they were in the basement and it was a real horror down there with loads of fleas and he showed me his ankle to prove his point. He said they will not do the common parts (basement and stairwell) without payment which is reasonable and I said I would gladly pay my contribution but as you know from my posts, the neighbours are all away/uncooperative and the chances of even getting in touch with them are slim. I will wait until the property developer is back on Monday and see if he will help and impress upon him the pointlessness of having a posh and pricey flat when the common parts are falling to pieces and infested with nasties. Meanwhile I will change the bedclothes, wash the floor and spray with an insect killer called Detanmax which the gym trainer recommended and powder the mattress with the powder. I'm sure it won't get rid of them but maybe will keep the numbers down.