Sign in to follow this  
janeonal

Apostille!

Rate this topic

I seem to be reading all the time about Apostille, in relation to legal documents in Turkey, but I'm really unclear as to what it is, and how and where you obtain such a thing, particularly in the UK. Can anyone enlighten me please? In simple terms please, not 'legalese' :rolleyes: Jane

Those links explain the process really well.In short the purpose of an apostille is to confirm the legitimacy of a document issued in one country for its use in another. So a power of attorney issued in the UK but covering transactions in Turkey would need to be apostilled. A power of attorney issued in Turkey for use in Turkey wouldn't need to be apostilled. The last document I had apostilled was a grant of probate issued in the UK for use in Turkey. In practical terms you will need to visit a notary public in your home country with your identification and sign the document to be apostilled in front of them. They will then attach their seal to the document and send it off to the foreign office to be formally apostilled or legalised.Not all lawyers/solicitors in the UK are also notaries public and you can find a list of notaries on this site UK list of Notaries PublicLast time I had a document apostilled it cost about

It is simply like that. Apostille signature makes the foreign legal document valid in Turkiye.

I seem to be reading all the time about Apostille, in relation to legal documents in Turkey, but I'm really unclear as to what it is, and how and where you obtain such a thing, particularly in the UK. Can anyone enlighten me please? In simple terms please, not 'legalese' :rolleyes: Jane

The apostil is the product of the fevered imagination of some mitteleuropa bureaucrat intent on devising new and fiendish ways of creating more jobs for bureaucrats, generating income for the state and driving all normal people doolally. It's an official document that verifies that another official document is an official document. Great. Why stop there? Why not have another offıcial document to verify that the apostil is an offıcıal document? And another and another and another.It turns a happy and honourable event like getting married into a kafkaesque experience.Excuse me for screaming but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Thank you all so much for your replies, very helpful indeed. I shall go away and read those links now Abi. Karyn, thats exactly the sort of explanation I was wanting, very clear. Phew,

The apostil is the product of the fevered imagination of some mitteleuropa bureaucrat intent on devising new and fiendish ways of creating more jobs for bureaucrats, generating income for the state and driving all normal people doolally. It's an official document that verifies that another official document is an official document. Great. Why stop there? Why not have another offıcial document to verify that the apostil is an offıcıal document? And another and another and another.It turns a happy and honourable event like getting married into a kafkaesque experience.Excuse me for screaming but aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh.

Hi FilHave you seen the film Brazil?Your rant reminds me of it!!So I just found some quotes...."This is information retrieval not information dispersal.""This is your receipt for your husband... and this is my receipt for your receipt.""I assure you, Mrs. Buttle, the Ministry is very scrupulous about following up and eradicating any error. If you have any complaints which you'd like to make, I'd be more than happy to send you the appropriate forms."etc etc etc!!!Sue