Kurabiye

Rate this topic

The new bakery in Kas makes lovely kurabiye as well as different types of bread to the 'normal ekmek'. I bought some a few days ago and whipped up some of the cream off the milk I get from my neighbour and ate it with strawberry jam and whipped cream. It was beautiful, I'm going to do it again this evening.

post-2722-1275565642_thumb.jpg

oh this will cause a fight in our household..just last night i was asking again so what is kurabiye husband in your opinion..he says cookie and not the way you once made it....now that was then..then today i see tour pic and think to myself...mine looked...well similar...so what the **** was hub on about...ok so maybe the cream and jam thing may not get him going (does me!) but i thought i did it ok..and went by what the internet description listed as best method..now this was last yr and frankly i forgot how i did it....cant promise i will do soon....never got over the anger of hubs laughs from the 1st trial/error...but proves to me maybe i was on a winner...shall try again one day or have i totally got it all wrong here and maybe i made something my hubs got confused with names wise...lovely pic here..salivating hasnt stopped since i 1st looked!! why cant i live next door to you!! :Dok i get it now..did a google search..how many types came up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! blimey...how on earth am i supposed to guess what type hub meant or prefers.. :lol: time for a one to one and homebake challenge :D partner to partner/ head to head...doh..wont work only one oven :Dwell stages could work...i say whats the point if u can buy them local..good point!! our baker is the happiest man in the area in my opinion..biggest smile anytime of day...nice chap (well hes the one who sells the cakes n all but ironic sometimes his bread isnt as nice!)

I've been offered lots of kurabiye in my time in Turkey and I can honestly say that most of it was truly unappetising, just dry crumbly biscuity things but, a few more enterprising bakers have added things to them which makes them much better. Obviously your baker, Cukur, makes them more like scones so that you can actually cut them without them falling to bits. Looks great with the jam and cream.

Our local baker makes useless kurabiye (in my opinion-but he sells it!!) but makes very nice wholemeal bread. :D

After reading Lucid's post I did a google search and found that there are lots of different types and most of them seem to be like biscuits. The ones that I get are more like a cross between a scone and a hot cross bun. I warm them up in the microwave first which makes them a bit more soft and pliable, they stay in one piece when you eat them then.

Lucid find out how his mother makes them, you can't go wrong then :)

I've got a recipe for kurabiye made with oats and coconut - I've made them a few times and you cannot go wrong with them. Give it a try Lucid! The recipe came from a Turkish magazine so the ingredients are measured Turkish style, in glasses and spoons but it works. Here goes:Yulaflı KurabiyeIngredients:I tea glass sugar1.5 tea glasses soft butter or margarineI eggI sachet baking powder300g oats1 water glass (not a tumbler) dried coconut4 soup spoons of plain flourOven - 170CPut all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine it using your hands. It will eventually come together but if it's a little dry, just add a drop of milk. The mix should stick together, not be a batter.

Using an ice cream server, make 24 balls of mix and put them onto baking paper on an oven tray, squashing eac one down slightly to make that traditional kurbabiye shape.

Bake for 25-30 mins.

They are very filling and stick your teeth in that gratifying way! :)

'scoobydoo' sounds fab..will try..and get back to forum on results (if it worked!!)C = yes i thought the one you posted above looks like a scone kind of and less of a cookie/ biscuit style'find out how his mother makes them, you can't go wrong then 'you are so right!...cant imagine they buy them in...so there must be a method around somewhere in her head!and they make their own baklava too (not often) so there is scope for some family ideas to be shared here.....god forbid they missunderstand the hint and think ive been reborn a housewife! but at some point there is just no hiding from the fact i have to make the kitchen my own!! :)

ohhh Cukur I'm drooling..... it looks lovely, I miss scones with fresh cream and jam....they were also my Hubby's favorite sweet pastry back in UK....

Your so lucky to have real milk and so able to make real fresh cream........

Yes I too wish I lived nearer, mind you ....dont think you'd appreciate it if I did, you'd never have any buns and cakes left and the tea pot would be on constantly....

I made some Victoria Scones a couple of weeks ago, I offered one to Hubby and said they taste just like the scones we used to get in UK but sorry no cream or jam.......... he bloody refused cos there was no cream and jam.... I"ve bought some stuff as I"m going to attempt making a cheese cake............. I have a brilliant Recipe that never fails but it contains carnation Milk (which you cant get here) so this is a new one for me to try.... I'll let you know how it goes...........scoobydoo that recipe looks nice..... I like oat biscuit and coconut so I should really like these.... I'll get some stuff then attempt to make them...

Wish I had some of curkur's fresh cream :)

Debbie, have you tried buying the tubs of "kaymak", usually near the butter and cheese in supermarkets? It's very like clotted cream so incredibly wicked but very yummy! You might find hubby likes it with jam on the scones next time you make them!

Is it any wonder I've got my mother's hips??? :)