Getting Married In Turkey To A Turk

Rate this topic

Charlotte

post-4911-1275250878_thumb.jpgHi Everybody.

I am pretty new on this site but i was hoping for some good helpfull feedback.

I am a Dutch Girl, living in the Uk for the past 10 years, I am engaged to my Beautifull Turkish man and we got married infront of an Imam last February. To legalise our marriage for law I would like to know if I can classify myself as being English or Dutch ? I don't vote in The Uk and never register myself or anything like this.

I am just back from Turkey where we got serveral documents from him, like a kopie of his ID, birth certificate and some sort of single certificate (stating he is never married before)Also, If i would class myself being Dutch and have my papers from Holland all sorted, Can i still get him back to The Uk where i work and live OR can i then only get a Dutch Visa for him ??

I was looking at a settlement Visa for 2 years, which would be the best, i ThinkCan anybody help me on this ?? All tips would be much appriciated .... Lots of love ... Jasmin

Welcome to our forum Jasmine. Unless you have taken British Citizenship you cannot say you are British. You may be able to get your husband into the UK because you have lived in the UK for 10 years but I am not certain. If you can't bring him to the UK like that I can't see the Dutch government giving him a visa to enter Holland as you are living in the UK and in any case even if he did get a Dutch visa it would not allow him to enter the UK as I understand it.

I am hoping that Sirin will be along either tonight or in the next couple of days as she know a lot about visa applications and will be able to help you.

Hopefully there will be a way and wish you luck and look forward to read future posts on your progress in this matter as it will be helpful for others who find themselves in the same siutation. :)

Hi AbiThanks for your replayI am realy worried now you knowMoving back to Holland is not realy an option and becoming a british Citizen is a lot of hassle.

Offcourse i will do it if nessasary. I will wait to see what Sirin has to say in this matter.

Ones again, thanks for your replay and i will defo keep you informed ! :)

''becoming a british Citizen is a lot of hassle'' why is becoming a dutch citizen easier?? i should tell my husband to move there then!! :) cant answer your question really but i do have a dutch friend who married a turk who is about to take his exam to be able to move to holland...funny old world isnt it!! all living else where......good luck anyway :P nice picture

Welcome to our forum Jasmin. I would contact the home office to see how you stand because MAYBE as you are a citizen of a EU country the same rules MIGHT apply to you as to a UK citizen.

Anyway, Good Luck. :)

Hi Jasmin,Welcome and congratulations!

I would say that firstly your are Dutch, and also an EU citizen, but how Dutch law works with your husband getting an EU passport I don't know. With a Dutch passport, surely he's be legal in UK?

Good luck.

Sue

With a Dutch passport, surely he's be legal in UK?

Good luck.

Sue

Hi Sue..... I'm afraid with Turkey not being part of EU things are much different.... for him to even have a dutch passport he must first become Dutch Citizen..... after which time he would probably be able to use his dutch passport to gain entry into UK (but I'm not 100% sure on this as he first Turkish Citizen) Hi Jasmin.... I too cannot really help regarding getting your Husband (when you are legally married) a 2 year settlement visa for UK.... as like you say although you have been living in the UK for past 10yr you are still Dutch Citizen...... if you don't have UK passport you are not UK citizen..... so maybe the rules are different.... hopefully sirin will come along and be able to help....

Hi Sue..... I'm afraid with Turkey not being part of EU things are much different.... for him to even have a dutch passport he must first become Dutch Citizen..... after which time he would probably be able to use his dutch passport to gain entry into UK (but I'm not 100% sure on this as he first Turkish Citizen) Hi Jasmin.... I too cannot really help regarding getting your Husband (when you are legally married) a 2 year settlement visa for UK.... as like you say although you have been living in the UK for past 10yr you are still Dutch Citizen...... if you don't have UK passport you are not UK citizen..... so maybe the rules are different.... hopefully sirin will come along and be able to help....

HI Debbie - that's what I meant!!

I meant once married to a Dutch citizen, he would then need to become a Dutch citizen (maybe by living there for a few years), then with an EU passport he could live and work in UK.

Hi Sue, Debbie, Lucid, Sunny & Abi,Thanks for all your comments but still not much of a help im affraid :D Am I the only one that finds all this very confusing ?? Why can nobody, including the home office not just tell me what to do ?

The Dutch consulate or the English one don't even know ! They keep sending me back and forth.

I don't know where the start or the end is at the moment.

What a mess !! Sirin ... Help me !!

Hi JasminI would think that once you are married, you would apply for some sort of spouse/indefinite leave to remain visa, and then after a certain period of time you could change it to a permenant residency/citizenship.

The question is are you allowed to do this in UK or must you do it in Holland.

Sorry, can't be of any more help!!

Good luckSue

Jasmin, your question is very different as you are a Dutch national trying to bring a Turkish national into the UK and none of us it seems have any experience so I can only imagine that you must be tearing your hair out.

I am wondering if you should contact the UK Border Agency Visa Services I have provided a link below. If you go into the customer services section and then click onto the enquiry section you can ask them the question.UK Border Agency

Hi Jasmine

I found this info from the UKBA web site, I haven't copied everything but I have given you the link.... you should read the info as it tells you what the criteria is for to be able to apply...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partners...scivilpartners/

If you are currently outside the UK

If you are subject to immigration control and you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen or person who is settled here, you can apply for permission to come to the UK in this category.

Your husband, wife or civil partner must be at least 21 years old (or 18 years old if you or they are a serving member of HM Forces), and must be:

■currently living and settled in the UK; or

■returning to the UK with you to live here permanently.

As you can see, the bit I highlighted does state either UK citizen OR settled in UK (which you are) you along with everyone else in this situation will have to show your settled, show your rent or mortgage agreement and also provide enough financial evidence to prove you can support both your self and your Husband if he were to be granted the visa...

Wow ... this is great guys !

Thank you....

Have just send a massive email to UK border force and waiting for reply now !

All this visa sh*t drives me up the wall ! :D First I need to find out if i can marry him as an English person cos that seems to be so much easieras only going to the registra office, put my name in the book for 21 days and get my inpediment form.

As from holland I need so much more, which i understand is very normal.

Keep the good tips coming ....

I WANT TO GET MARRIED IN JULY/SEPTEMBER !!! With your help we might just make it ! :lol: -x-

Hi Jasmin - Hallo en welkomSeems I was missing in action - but I think you've had lots of information there! Presumably you have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK? Assuming that that's the case, then once you're married, you can apply for a Settlement Visa as a spouse. At the end of the 2 year settlement visa, he would apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. As you know yourself, there's no need then to apply for Citizenship unless he wants to - but it may have more benefits for him than for you, as it will allow him freedom of travel in Europe.

For the Settlement / Spouse visa, with you as his sponsor, the main criteria to fulfill will be to show that you have adequate accommodation, that you will be able to support him until he's able to find his own job, and proof that your relationship is genuine. Proving his skills and what jobs are available in your area will be important, as you will need to satisfy the entry clearance officer that neither of you would attempt to apply for public funds, and would not be in poverty.

Once you get to the point of applying, I'd be very happy to help out if I can with any visa application queries you have. I'm not an immigration adviser (although I'd know how to put you in touch with one if you needed it), but I've had experience of visa applications for over 8 years now.

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage!

Do EU citizens need 'Indefinite Leave to Remain'?

As far as I can tell No. The UK Border Agency states on their web site:"As an EEA or Swiss national, you have the right to live and work in the UK (known as the 'right of residence') if:■you are working here (and have registered or obtained permission from us if this is required - see Employment below); or■you can support yourself and your family in the UK without becoming an unreasonable burden on public funds"

Hi Sirin..

Thank you for popping into the forum.

I live and work in a hotel, so giving him a job and accomodation and get that in black & white is no problem.

So you think i only need a International Birth certificate from holland and my non-inpedement form from the registra office here ? to get married in Turkey ?

I can not thank you guys enough ! Keep the right info going please...

Still no reply from Uk Border Force.

Sirin, thank you for offering your help in the future, I think i might need it ! :D Maybe you can help me with the translation of some official documents aswell ? Or am i very cheeky now ? :lol:

Can somebody translate this is normal, basic english :( Because i think i found my answer now ... Just to make sure Citizens of EEA member statesCitizens of countries in the European Economic Area (other than British and Irish citizens) and Swiss citizens obtain permanent residence status automatically after five years' residence in the United Kingdom exercising Treaty rights[9] rather than ILR. The rights of EEA citizens are not governed by UK Immigration Regulations[1] but rather the EEA Regulations.

Under the law as it existed between 2 October 2000 and 29 April 2006, a citizen of an EEA state or Switzerland could be granted permanent residence on application after four years' residence in the United Kingdom exercising Treaty rights (five years from 3 April 2006). Prior to 2 October 2000, citizens of EEA states were deemed to be permanent residents immediately upon taking up residence in the UK to exercise Treaty rights.

The change in the law in 2000 was retroactive. Hence, for example, a German citizen who arrived to work in the UK on 1 July 1986 would have been treated as a permanent resident between that date and 1 October 2000. From 2 October 2000, the status would be reverted to that of a temporary resident if an application for ILR was not made. On 30 April 2006, with five years' residence exercising Treaty rights accrued, that person regained permanent resident status.

What do you guys think !!

Can i get married for English laws ?? And not by Dutch laws ... :(

I think you need to apply for permanent residence status if you haven't all ready done so. As you have lived and worked in the UK for 10 years this should not be a problem.

Good luck. :(