Banana Cake

Rate this topic

Come on Cukur get your mixing bowl out.... ....

I love bananas but find I'm throwing more and more away as they dont seem to keep the same here..... so today before I was about to throw 3 very ripe ones away I thought.... hang on.... lets search the web for a banana cake recipe.....

Came across this recipe- http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7380/banana-cake.... it took all of about 5-7mins to prepare (my kind of recipe) it took me longer to wash up after........ and it tastes great... I cant take a photo cos Hubbys got the camera phone on him at work...... and I've had 3 pieces so far so they may not be any left later.... I thought it would be nice with some custard......... ahhhhhhh Bananas & custard......... I've also made some Orange Marmalade (first time ever) and it tastes great.... although it was a lot of messing around preparing and cooking....

Trouble is.... if I carry on at this rate I'm going to be putting a little bit of weight on ...

I've eaten all my bananas and I'll be getting some more on Friday, market day, so I'll probably make it on Saturday. I find bananas don't last in the fridge at all and I only buy six or eight at a time. The small local ones are delicious, much nicer than the big straight EU regulation ones, I won't buy them on principle.

I get my marmalade from our member KasDolphin here, she makes great marmalade. If I made it for myself I'd probably end up making a dustbin full, I love it.

Hi Debbie,I love banana cake, and plonk an over-ripe one in many cake mixes!!

Did you know that you can freeze bananas?

Just peel them and I break them in half and put them in a bag in the freezer. I use them up by adding them to a smoothy made in a liquidiser. You could use ice-cream and make a milkshake.

I don't like to throw fruit away, so it usually ends up in a smoothy or a cake!!

Sue

Did you know that you can freeze bananas?

Just peel them and I break them in half and put them in a bag in the freezer.....

That's excellent, I never knew you could do that, I'll be able to buy more now. Thanks a lot Sue

Et voila! I used 3 small Turkish bananas and added a heaped teaspoon of cinnamon, yummy! When I'd got all the dry ingredients into the bowl, I realised I'd not got any margarine or butter so I measured 170g of sunflower oil and added it instead. It's turned out really light and fluffy - and miraculously keeps disappearing! :hysterical[1]:

Hi Sue.... and thanks for the tip, I never knew you could freeze bananas....after defrosting though can you eat them as normal or are they only good for baking or smoothies...

scoobydoo...... your cake look scrummy, and a good tip adding the cinnamon.... glad it turned out ok adding the sunflower oil..... yes I found mine to be very Moorish....

Cukur..........

I agree with scoobydoo I think adding olive oil will be too heavy and would probably alter the taste...

I've also made two lots of Potato Pogaca ............... and they were lovely... gave some to the security guards here.. they loved them.. http://www.giverecipe.com/fluffy-pogaca.html

Ok I'll take your advice ladies, don't want to have to give the cake to the dogs, well not all of it anyway.

Hi Debbie,If you defrost the bananas, you could use them in a cake or a smoothy, I wouldn't eat them whole. They're better kept frozen for a smoothy tho.

If you mash defrosted ones up they'd be fine in a cake - a lot of liquid come out of them when defrosted tho.

Cheers Sue....next time I have some that look like there just turning I'll put them in the freezer and keep for baking etc......

Mind you I said to Hubby yesterday that I wasnt going to do any more baking (well not for a while) as I was eating most of the cakes etc and at this rate I would be 15 stone by Xmas....

So I've now decided to make more traditional Turkish foods... just been to market and bought some veg and few bits from supermarket and I am making spinach with rice (Pirin

Ok ladies I have to admit to narrowly averting a disaster today. The banana cake went beautifully and turned out really nice, that's the one with the slice in the picture. The disaster began occurring when I mistakenly put 525 grams of flour in to the mix for another yoghurt cake instead of 525ml. Obviously I realised I'd done something terribly wrong when I tried to mix it and had a big lump on the end of my electric whisk instead of a nice smooth mix. Luckily I was given some advice by a ladyfriend visiting me and I added another egg and some milk and it all turned out right in the end but I had more mix than the cake tin would contain so had to make two cakes (Oh what a shame!).

So here's a photo of today's bakery output, the banana cake is lovely and as the title says, "It's so easy".

post-2722-1274544416_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

hi guys..had a go at this...still dont have anything to measure things out so guess....added honey and apricot seed/pips crushed just for fun!..then same susam seeds ontop as i used for the yogurt cake on other thread we did....i used 2 eggs (all i had) and the honey was about half cup full id say...it came out a bit crunchy on the outside but soft and nice on the inside....it tastes much better than it looks id say this one! :hysterical[1]: funny i thought 1hr would be too much but it was about right.thanks fot tips and ideas....im quite getting into this...i did the purslane thing you mentioned in another thread scooby and it was bloomin fab.did stuffed peppers yesterday but the aubergines were a bit of a flop when being stuffed and overall i wasnt sure about how much nane/dere ottu to put in...needless to say im a bit porky today...despite sweating it off the few days before in the heat!! :blush-anim-cl[1]:

Oooh, shouldn't be reading this thread at work, very peckish now!!!

Must try that pogaca recipe Debbie, so many of them seem to be made with a pastry, rather than yeasted bread, which makes them too crunchy, and they dry out too quickly. The one I have uses yeast, but also butter and oil, so the one you've posted looks slightly healthier, and the pics of it on the link look so scrummy. My two boys adore pogaca, and I usually freeze a load, keep a bag of them in the freezer, then warm them in the oven for their breakfast.

Cukur, your cake pics always look so yummy, I'm very impressed. Good idea about freezing cakes in slices Scooby, might try that, it saves waste too.

Jane