Sign in to follow this  
Fil

Your First 23 Nisan

Rate this topic

23 nisan is a memorable holiday in Turkey. Can you remember your first? It was 22 years ago today that I drove from Side to Kaş in my orange BMW. The weather was fresh but sunny, just like today. The road on the hill before Kumluca was under construction and consisted of small stones that shifted around a lot. We gave a lift to a guy with an enormous bag of tomatoes who had just got off the back of a motor cycle, not powerful enough to make it to the top. He gave us a tomato of thanks. The next day the local children danced in the square while I had breakfast in the Mavi bar. We were quite a large group, about half a dozen TWITs (Teachers Working In Turkey) and assorted Istanbul bank inspectors and middle managers who were students at the language school of the TWITS. In the evenings on TV Ruud Gullit and Rikjaer were impressing with Ajax. In those days the square by the mosque and harbour was not pedestrianised and most of the buildings around the square were houses, not shops and restaurants as they are now. Most accommodation was in pansiyons, not hotels. Our pansiyon was on the street just above the square with a great view of the town and harbour. It isn't a pansiyon any more and looks neglected, hasn't been painted since I stayed there, I wonder what happened to the friendly elderly couple who lived there. Kaş still looks basically the same, the Mavi Bar even has exactly the same rough wooden chairs. Kaş is still my favourite place to be. Can't get there this year though. Must make a plan for the silver jubilee in 2013.

Mine was about 18 years ago and my memories of it are rather vague. A bright sunny morning, children walking higgledy-piggledy behind a band down the gentle slope of the main street towards the town square. Some, dressed in traditional, brightly colured costumes performed dances. There were speeches, which I didn't understand, by several adults, and some children, topped off with the National Anthem. :(

World children make early start to Children

dont recal my 1st as such but the day involves hub going off early in morning with 2 othr unlucky co-workers (despite the fact its supposed to be a WHOLE day off for office workers :drunk[1]: ) and does some ritual at the base of some big figures statue...yer yer i know hes important n and all and they are giving thanks, but why is it always kids who stop adults having lay in's?? :( and we dont even have any technically!! :clapping[1]:what about a new tradition..instead of wasting fresh flowers on displays of memorial flowers..local kids could go round to locals houses (with adults!) to give one flower to each household...then in case their children are away or people are alone or lonely or whatever they are reminded of the love between the young and the old...oh well i just hate seeing dying flowers in the sun

That's a lovely idea Lucid. I too don't like to see flowers dying in the sun, or in vases for that matter. They are much better left in the garden. :(