Are We Really A Dying Culture

Rate this topic

I saw this video on my facebook.....it was posted by one of my family members.... so hope its ok to post the link on here , if the Mods feel its not appropriate or offensive in anyway then please feel free to remove...

I watched and wondered if it was true !!! .... but the thought that maybe it could be, made me feel quite uneasy ... I just hope I'm not around to see it ... see what you think...

Hope it workshttp://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=...9532&ref=mf

I can not find out who is the actual maker of the video which immedietely gets me suscipious. Personally I think is a Zionist group. This author seems to think it is American right wing groups. http://tinyfrog.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/m...m-demographics/The quote by the Libyian leader, I can only find on two sites. One is youtube and the poster does not identify himself. The other site is www.str.org and they are quote "Organization aimed at building Christian thinkers for the public defense of the faith"For me to take this seriously, I need to read it from an independent source. There were numerous other quotes during the video that I can not find the source for. EG the average muslim birth rate is 8.1%???? where do they get their stats from?

Personally I think this is scaremongering propganda and anyone who does not investigate what the video is saying before beleiving it, is a fool.

Well I don't mind those statistics. The majority of the Islamic world seem to live in more harmony with each other than the Christian world has done, the crime rates are lower and there is more respect for your fellow man. It's only another religion after all and this is exactly what happened back in the growing days of Christianity. Had we computers and films then we would have had stories with scary commentaries then too. What is the problem with Islam? Can they really do any worse than Christianity? Or am I talking through the wrong part of my anatomy?

Most of us have moved from a Christian country to an Islamic one by our own choice after all.

[[Most of us have moved from a Christian country to an Islamic one by our own choice after all.]]Precisely, and we don't find it scary or a problem as the video seems to think we should.

I personally do not think that those stats are correct and unfortunately there are a lot of people in the Uk and america who have no intention of moving to an islamic country, that will believe those stats without questioning the source. Videos like that, the BNP and the daily mail are the main courses for the so-called Islamification fear in the UK. Double that with the powers that be who decide that they have to assume thinking for every muslim in the country, and that is where most of the religious tension stems from. A majority of muslims in the Uk just want to keep their head down, earn a wage and look after their family. Videos like that IMO cause hatred and distrust where there need not be any.

The only reason why films like this are made is to cause hate and fear. It is said that 98% of the population in Turkey is Muslim but as we all know not all of that 98% practise their religion. As others have said those of us that have chosen to live in Turkey do so without any fear of being harmed by the Muslim population.

• 1 year later...

Well I don't mind those statistics. The majority of the Islamic world seem to live in more harmony with each other than the Christian world has done

Key thing being tense there. The [developed] Christian world is no longer particular 'Christian' and thank god too. If you think the worlds Muslims live in harmony with each other, I respectfully suggest you do a bit of research!!

Cukur's comment was written before the Arab 'spring' so at that time Islamic countries did seem to be a lot more peaceful.

As far as Christian countries not being particularly Christian any more is a retrograde step if you measure it by society in these countries and behaviour of people. I say this as a non religious person.

Cukur's comment was written before the Arab 'spring' so at that time Islamic countries did seem to be a lot more peaceful.

As far as Christian countries not being particularly Christian any more is a retrograde step if you measure it by society in these countries and behaviour of people. I say this as a non religious person.

I was not referring to the current Arab world but to the general Muslim one. Whether it's apostates being murdered, women being stoned or the annual scuffles that erupt in Mecca between Saudi Sunnis and Iranian Shias, the Muslim world has been and is far from a model of peaceable behaviour. 'Unpeaceable' behaviour is not simply drunkenness, drug addiction and disrespect to the elderly lady down the hall, it is also state-sanctioned murder, superstition-fuelled devotion and widespread propagation of ignorance by religious figures - all of which are common occurrences in the Muslim world. (The former set being common occurrences in the western world). Yes, a feudal village in southern Iran where the youth talk to the elders with respect and humility and everyone adopts that typical veneer of mutual respect may well feature an element lacking in parts of the western world, but it's crucial to remember that the Iranian village example is a result of drummed in obedience and indoctrination, default respect of tradition and frowning of anything and anyone that may wish to peek beyond its limits, and this by definition results in a reduction in zest for life. Whilst the west is plagued by social behaviour problems, it is due more to the decline of proper punishment and deterrents (and breakdown of family structure) rather than to the decline of Christian values which just happened to promote those same things (along with a bunch of other thoroughly undesirable tenets).

Interestingly, Iran has a serious drug problem.

Whilst the decline in prominence of religion in the Christian world has undoubtedly, with individuals that have no other source of moral fiber, allowed antisocial behaviour to increase, it's decline has also freed and empowered a huge segment of society and seen the collapse of dogmatic strangleholds over happiness and motivation and free thought. Religion is by no means the only source of moral conduct for societies to act upon. In fact it represents beliefs that encourage thoroughly amoral conduct in the name something or other, so why so many people cannot draw upon their human instincts of goodness rather than lament the passing of the dominance of an earthly representation of an omnipotent big-brother along with rituals and inane superstitions simply because it kept the dregs of society somewhat more contained on a day to day basis, is beyond me. Besides, the view that when the Christian world was more pious it had more peaceable societies is somewhat idyllic. The traditionally Christian world has waged wars and exhibited examples of utter social chaos and inhumanity since time immemorial precisely BECAUSE of religion, and although wars are still waged, the fundamentals behind contemporary western-structured societies (that includes Turkish society to a great degree, thanks to Ataturks reforms) provides far more opportunity for self improvement, freedom of thought and action (and thus contentment) in a much less scrutinized, suffocating, stunting and superstitious manner than even just a few generations ago. All thanks largely to the combatants of dogmatic faith.

• 8 months later...

Virtually all the 'facts' in the video are lies spread by people who think like Anders Breivik. Culture only has a connection with fertility rates for people who think culture is also connected with race, and who believe in the superiority of certain races over others. My father fought in the second world war to stop people like that.

Not sure why you felt the need to 'find' that video Turko because if you open the link in Post 1 and 2 you will see that this thread is all about the video you posted today.

As I said before and I will say again "The only reason why films like this are made is to cause hate and fear"

Virtually all the 'facts' in the video are lies spread by people who think like Anders Breivik. Culture only has a connection with fertility rates for people who think culture is also connected with race, and who believe in the superiority of certain races over others. My father fought in the second world war to stop people like that.

I agree with you all the way Fil ,Whoever makes this propaganda needs to get the "facts" right , For example there are 27 countries in the EU and not 31 as stated and that's just for starters.

'Unpeaceable' behaviour is not simply drunkenness, drug addiction and disrespect to the elderly lady down the hall, it is also state-sanctioned murder, superstition-fuelled devotion and widespread propagation of ignorance by religious figures - all of which are common occurrences in the Muslim world. (The former set being common occurrences in the western world).

I do my best to avoid talking politics or religion (partly because I subscribe neither to a political party nor a religion) but I have to put in my two cents here. ALL of these are common in the US, which executes more of its citizens (often innocents who have been wrongfully convicted) than any other country on the planet, and has as much (or more) "superstition-fuelled devotion and widespread propagation of ignorance by religious figures" than most other countries, some of which are elected into high offices: Reagan and both Bush's were all fundamentalist xns (look where they got us); Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan are also extreme theists; on November 2nd the Huffington Post reported that "[Charlie] Fuqua, who served in the Arkansas House from 1996 to 1998, wrote there is 'no solution to the Muslim problem short of expelling all followers of the religion from the United States,' in his 2012 book, titled 'God's Law,'" and these are just some of the examples of the extreme "xn right" that weilds much power in the US and elsewhere (I will give credit where credit is due in that the GOP has "distanced" themselves from Fuqua in a press release in which they called his words "ridiculous, outrageous and have no place in the civil discourse of either party.")

The point is, radical religious fundamentalism and the problems it creates are far from unique to the muslim world, and the xn right is just as if not more guilty of trying to keep up with 14th century "civilization" instead of moving on in the 21st. At the risk of making a generalization, the one thing Xns Muslims and Jews have in common (other than the fact that they all worship the same god -- yes, they do, look it up) is that many of their leaders are filled with hatred and do everything in their power to spread that hatred among their followers, often, unfortunately, with some degree of success.

Lenny Bruce said that "Any man who calls himself a religious leader and owns more than one suit is a hustler as long as there is someone in the world who has no suit at all." I guess all that means is that there are a hell of a lot of hustlers out there, and they're all very good at what they do.

• 2 weeks later...

"so why so many people cannot draw upon their human instincts of goodness rather than lament the passing of the dominance of an earthly representation of an omnipotent big-brother along with rituals and inane superstitions simply because it kept the dregs of society somewhat more contained on a day to day basis, is beyond me"

I totally agree with that statement, less religion and more humanity and empathy all around and the world would be a much better place

Is it because humans largely appear to lack spontaneous humanity & empathy, that there was a need to embody these requirements into a code of behaviour, which then became religion?

So, religion is a means of control -- an attempt to keep humans on the straight & narrow? The rituals & inane superstitions are just a means of keeping us busy & supposedly out of trouble.............. Interesting conception! Posted Image

I The rituals & inane superstitions are just a means of keeping us busy & supposedly out of trouble.............. Interesting conception! Posted Image

Yes an interesting concept Posted Image

saying this, I am not against personal beliefs and I`m not a Atheist, I just think that my beliefs are just that, "personal" and that if anything people should be at peace with religion, emphasizing and promoting the common and good principles present in every major religion instead of perverting it and even killing each other in the name of.