Driving From London To Denizli - Turkey

Rate this topic

Hi everyone.

It's been a long lasting dream for me to drive to Turkey and finally I'm going to materialise it. A friend of mine and I will set off from London towards the end of April by a 1lt Nissan Micra. Our plan is to arrive in Denizli in 3 days. When I was trying to get some info about how to's I've come accross this website and it's extremely valuable. I've read almost all the posts about driving to Turkey, but one thing I've noticed that almost everybody uses Belgium way straight after Calais. I was wondering if there is any specific reason for this. Maybe it's more straight forward bt we'd like to see some countryside as well. We're thinking of going down to Reims (FR) after Calais (FR) then to Germany over Karlsruhe > Stuttgart > Munich > Salzburg (Austria) > Village (Austria) > Zagrep (Croatia) > Belrade (Serbia) > Skopje (Macedonia) > brief entry to Bulgaria over Petrich > Kavala (Greece) > Komotini (Greece) >Ipsala Border crossing to Turkey > Kesan (TR) > Eceabat (TR)(Ferry to Canakkale) > Izmir (TR) > Denizli (TR).

I wonder if there is anyone who took this route. Of course there will be a lot of obstacles along the way awaiting for us.

Does sat-nav work in all these countries along the way?

I'd be very glad if somebody can give me any advice, suggestion or anything really.

Thanks

Selim

Well that's a different route. I don't know if there is any major reason for using the Belgium route other than most route planning web pages choose it. I've put your route into a route planner and it works out similar in mileage and time so I don't think there should be any problems. I would allow another day for unforeseen delays just to be on the safe side. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on, that could be valuable information here.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

Thanks Cukurbagli. I will post all the info we'll experience along the way once we've got there all in one piece. I'm really looking forward to it. WE're not in a rush, so another extra day shold not be a problem. I think AA website gives almost all the necessary information to get there safe. So, here is another question, I wonder if anybody can help, I will be on the insurance as an extra driver. The car will be registered to my friend. I know for a fact that whoever has the registration can not leave Turkey without the car. Would that be the same case for me, well I don't think so but it's best to ask. Because I will fly back to the UK on the 5th day.

RegardsSelim

As far as I am aware something is stamped in the owners passport at the Turkish boarder and will be cancelled or something like that when they leave Turkey. Maybe someone else can confirm that please just to be double sure.

Hi selim,I have read your post, i have been planing to drive Turkey end of July, i was looking information about, roads, rules, insurance and paper work and haven't diceded yet wich road i will be travelling.

I like to ask you did you get Green Card yet if you got it where did u get?

About leaving your car; maybe you should cheek this with border aggency when u enter Turkey. You can also get info from www.silayolu.com most of the post are people who travells from germany or austuria. I find a bit confusing because everybody want to say something even they never had any experiense, it's good to read have a look, i hope you will find some answers. Pls let us know about your jorney. Good luck and have safe jorney.

Take careCetin

Hi Cetin We have not yet sorted the green card issue yet. We're looking into it at the moment. As soon as I know I will let you know. But I guess it must be some sort of related to DVLA. There are also other issues that we are trying to sort out here in the UK before we set off, such as vignette ticket buying online (road tax). I'll have a look at the web site you've mentioned, thanks for that. I'm sure we'll know more very soon.

RegardsSelim