Sign in to follow this  
blacksea

Where To Find English Weather In Turkey?

Rate this topic

Hi guys, im looking into living in Turkey and this may sound strange but my main requirement is that the weather be like the English weather in other words Cold/Cloudy/Mild/Rainy lolSee i have a strong dislike for extremely warm climates with little rainfall (i.e. where temperature is above 30 C degrees i can't handle it)I am not bothered about cold i am used to cold and rainy weather so this kind of place would be ideal.So far in my research i have come to like the Black Sea area, but i am weary of living too close to the ocean so Trabzon and Samsun are probably not best option as too close to seaside.If i can find a city or large town slightly more inland where the June/July temperature is no higher than around 18-25 degrees i think that will be like heaven for me :DWhat do you think?

Hi Blacksea and welcome to our forum. I actually live about 20 km from Samsun city up in the hills.I was wondering why you were wary of living next to the sea?If you want to live in Northern Turkey I hope you can speak Turkish as it isn't easy to find an english speaker.The climate up here, well it has changed a lot in the time I have lived here, the winters do not have the same amount of rainfall. If you go inland it will be hotter in the summer than living on the coast.Are you thinking of living here full time or just buying somewhere for holidays.

Thanks for replying Abi, In the UK there are not many natural disasters, but there have been cases of severe flooding and it usually affects places close to rivers and oceans, and this is why i prefer higher ground or to be inland, ofcourse we cannot be totally immune to natural disasters as the recent earthquakes all over the world (including anatolia) demonstrate but inshallah we can try to do our homework.As you probably know many people in UK tend to buy a second property in Spain, France, or USA but i prefer Turkey because of common culture, food, history etc and i understand many words in the language so i would hopefully pick it up after some study/practice, and initially i may rent but then i would look to get a holiday home of some kind.My main concern is the climate, if the climate is good i can stay forever lol if it becomes extremely hot i would begin to dislike. :D The issue i am having is that the black sea coast is actually very big province, and stretches from duzce in the east to artvin in the east, i am not sure where to begin..Like i say it does not matter how cold it gets or snow or ice, or -40 it does not bother me, its extreme heat that makes me want to jump into the sea! :)http://www.allaboutturkey.com/black-sea.htm

Indeed the Black Sea is a vast area and will be hard to decide where is the best spot for you.There is no doubt that the climate is changing, in Samsun last year we did not have much rain, but Rize which is a rainy area had terrible floods last year and a couple of other places near there. The good news is up here we are not on any fault lines.Samsun and Trabzon are both large working cities but once you get out of the city confines there are nice areas of countryside. We and Trabzon both have airports which is useful.I think as you say it is wise to rent in the first instance as you may find an area is not to your likely after a while. You will find summer homes easy to rent and won't be a problem.Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like :DIf there is anything I can help you

There is no doubt that the climate is changing, in Samsun last year we did not have much rain, but Rize which is a rainy area had terrible floods last year and a couple of other places near there.

Yes my friend and this is true in many places last year it was very unusual weather worldwide. In the UK several cities flooded, and recently we had 2 weeks of heavy snow for the first time in 30 years :D

The good news is up here we are not on any fault lines.

Ah! thankyou for providing this vital piece of information that was what i was going to research next.

Abi, tell me what is the weather like in summer months where you live near samsun? and in the region generally?

For example in UK the winter temperatures range roughly between -10 and 8 degrees, and in summer range between 10-25 degress, if it is 25 degrees in UK that is considered a hot day, although sometimes it can go to 30's for a month or so.

Also, what would you about overall law and order situation in blacksea province? I have heard a few mafia stories (kurtlar vardisi style lol) a long time ago from some Turkish colleagues. I imagine they would be some other foreigners too, including russians or azeris in the big cities sometimes?

btw, i have actually seen Trabzon because plane landed there on holiday last year for refueling - i fell in love with the place and i did not want to get back on the plane lol, my heart is still in Trabzon so i have to go back to fetch it :)

I can't tell you where I live as I don't even live in a village so it isn't worth explaining as I said before I live about 20km out of the city in the hills.The area once you get out of the city confines it very hilly and rural with a lot of farming going on.Tempertures can reach 40 degrees in the summer, but usually temps are about 25 upwards, if you live by the sea or in the hills it is cooler as I find when I go down to the city on a hot day it is so much hotter mainly because heat get trapped between the buildings, so don't live in the city, but you can always buy an air con unit. Summer can also extend to November though it isn't as hot but still hot enough to eat outside.Law and order well Turkey does have a gun culture and it's not unusual to see a child of 10 walking around with a rifle where I live. As far as the mafia organisations goes yes I'm sure it's alive and well here same as it is anywhere else in the world, but to be honest I don't think you need to concern yourself with that and wouldn't be aware. I actually feel safer living here than I did in the UK. I know you said you live in the UK but wondered if you are actually British?.I'm sure Trabzon will have Russians and Azeris living there I would be surprised if they don't, whether they would be in great numbers I don't know.Probably the best thing for you to do is to have a holiday in Trabzon that way you can get the feel of the place at least.

Welcome to the forum Blacksea.[[but i prefer Turkey because of common culture, food, history etc and i understand many words in the language......]] With this comment I guess that although you are in the UK, you aren't British. :)As you have researched, the Black sea coast is well known for its temperate climate and although we can't guarantee you temperatures under 30 in the summer, you will find that the heat is not as oppressive as the same temperature in the UK.I agree with Abi when she says she feels safer here in Turkey compared with the UK and also when she said that it would be a good idea to have a holiday in your chosen area before taking the big step of moving here. I wish you good luck in your hunt for your ideal spot. :)

Thanks for the reply and information guys, i agree the best thing for me to do would be to arrange a holiday and explore the province. :D Do you think it will be a issue hiring a car from Istanbul and dropping it off in a city such as Samsun or Trabzon, are there hire companies large enough to accomodate this? See i would love to start my trip in Istanbul and then drive from Marmaris across the black sea coast over the course of a week or so stopping off in towns and hotels along the way, but i would not be able to come back to Istanbul, so i would need to drop the car off in BlackSea somewhere if you see what i mean. Oh yes you guessed right, although I am British citizen by birth, my parents were mixed Afghan-Central Asian ancestry. Also i am not really looking for Russians or Azeris i just presumed they would be some of these tourists simply because of the proximity and business interests.

Do you think a week would be long enough to explore such a large area?Hiring a car in Istanbul and dropping it off, say in Trabzon, is no problem.Car rentals TurkeyAvisThese are two companies that you could use but there are others in Google.Bye the way did you mean "then drive from Marmaris"? Marmaris is a town in S. W. Turkey on the Med. coast, or did you mean Marmara, as in sea of Marmara? :D