Sign in to follow this  
Sunny

Tip For Limescale In Kettles

Rate this topic

I was going through an old magazine that I'd been given and came across this tip which I'd never heard before:To remove limescale from a kettle cheaply and without odours fill it with water then freeze overnight.Take it out next day and as it defrosts the limescale will come off with the ice.I haven't tried it (yet) but if you try this can you report the results back here please. :D

But be careful, the expansion of the water as it turns to ice might split it, especially if it's made of plastic.

another method, I found online and am about to try on my kettle is:  

"Start by quarter-filling the kettle with vinegar or lemon juice and leave for an hour. Then, leaving in the acid, top up the kettle with water and boil it. Pour away the boiled water before it cools, then rinse out the kettle with several changes of cold water to remove any traces of vinegar or lemon juice (not a good taste with coffee)"

from: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/aug/23/how-to-remove-limescale