Sign in to follow this  
suecrann

Damp Apartment

Rate this topic

About a month ago I moved and the apartment I'm now living in was empty for about 6 months. Since I moved in, mildew has developed on the walls, ceilings and around the windows, which are new UPVC. I leave the windows and doors open as much as possible, which is easier now it's a bit warmer and drier outside, but I'm wondering if this problem will continue next winter or is it just because the apartment had been closed up and unused for so long before I moved in? Anybody had a similar problem?? Any suggestions?Thanks :)

Is this a black mould? If it is it could have been that the damp has been a problem for a while and the place newly decorated to cover it up.What is above you, another apartment or the roof?

@scoobydoo>I had the same problem when I lived in Portugal. I suggest you contact your landlord and inform him of the problem, he maybe able to work a deal with you, i.e., providing cleaning solution, reduced rent (good luck:-), or if he own another apartment in close vacinity, he may offer you to move and work a deal with you. It seems the apartment may have been empty for a reason. I was renting a house in Portugal and the mildew was rampant all thoughout mainly because there were many open airways I had to close-up and the house was in a high mildew area, low to sea level, and often humid. I suggest you try the following:1. Wear rubber or latex gloves. Spray the wall with a solution of 1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125 ml) chlorine bleach, 1/3 cup (3 fl oz/80 ml) powder laundry detergent and 1 gallon (4 l) hot water, working from the base of the wall up. (Or you can use a commercial mildewcide, though it's much more expensive than mixing your own.)2. Gently scrub away surface mildew using a plastic scrubber sponge.3. Using the scrubber sponge, rinse thoroughly with fresh water.4. Once dry, consider applying a coat of paint containing an antimildew agent so you don't have to do this again any time soon.Next, I would seriously contact your landlord and have him come witness your problem and ask him if he would be willing to pay for the items to have the apartment clean and be very tactful while discussing it with him afterall it's his place and I'm sure he would not want the mildew to get any worse--Good Luck!

We used neat Klorak or 'camisir suyu to get rid of black mould. That kills the spores so it doesn't reoccur quickly and it gets rid of the black marks.You are right LM, contacting the landlord is the first thing to do.

..also if your not at your property for several months especially in the winter ..put a few bowls of salt ..all around the house ..very inexpensive and draws in the damp ..my villa is empty for about 6 months of the year..i have always put salt bowls all over the place ..cupboards ,wardrobes ..etc and had very few problems..

Hi guysThanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll try them out. It's not healthy living with this mouldy stuff all around me! Sunny, above me is the flat roof and it's obvious that water sits on it in some places and seeps slowly through - I can see it in the corners. This will have to be looked at this summer, maybe if that is stopped the apartment will dry out. The mould isn't black, it's sludgy green in colour and I hoover it off the walls so as not to spread the spores. I haven't used any chemicals/bleach yet, will certainly give that a go after the next hoovering session!My landlady has seen the mould/damp ceilings and I just got the usual shoulder shrug and got told I need to open the window more, which I suppose does help but the cause of the problem needs to be addressed. I've told her I'll fix the problem for a rent reduction so we'll see what happens in the respect but I'm not holding my breath! The apartment is Ok otherwise and very cheap (325tl per month!) - maybe I'd be better off moving and paying a bit more the for sake of my health!!!

Well Scooby, you've heard about the man with the leaky roof? When it was raining it was to wet to fix it and when it wasn't raining it didn't need fixing! :D

Hi Scooby,We also had mould (in winter) on some of our walls when we moved in. We removed it with straight bleach, and also repainted, mixing bleach into the paint (it doesn't affect the paint colour as one might expect). In addition we replaced the layer of porous brick cladding around the outside walls with glazed tiling. From the following winter there was no more mould formation on our walls.Hope your chosen solutions work for you. :D