Sign in to follow this  
scobbiebhoy

Turkish Driving License

Rate this topic

I have a Turkish driving licence, and at the time of my lessons the instructor told me that the Turkish licence will be changing over to the European driving licence format later this year.I think he meant with the Euro stars on it etc. Does anybody else know anything else about this?Or am I hopelessly confused and giving off false info?The instructor had spent a lot of time living in England (25 yrs) and I do think he knew what he was talking about.

You mean you took the Turkish driving test? But you are UK based? Wow. What was the test like? I've got a Turkish driving licence, which I am very proud of, but I got it by validating my UK licence here. The international women's association here in Antalya organised a validation en masse. The Turkish licenncew is terribly useful, the banks prefer it to my other id.

Did you take the Turkish test because you don't have a UK one or because it's easier than going though all the stuff to get the UK licence validated?

I took the Turkish test because i don't have a British one. I thought about going back to the U.K and doing a crash course (pardon the pun!). But in the end i stuck out the long process of doing the Turkish test.You can only do the written test on a certain date and you can only do the practical test on a certain date. So you end up waiting about 4 months to get through the whole process.My instructor told me that it will all be changing and that they will modernize the system with a computer based multiple choice exam.The assessors that assess your driving, have no formal training, they are school teachers. (you do your written exam in a school)And wait for it.On the same day as the driving tests, motorbike tests were being held.The driving instructor (whom also does bike lessons) told me that the assessors for the bike tests don't even have a bike license themselves!!!!

..thought i would share tis ..as origanlly thought this after being told by many of my turkish friends..i got my uk licence translated (the translator also english ) said this is all i would need, to confirm this ..i took a turkish friend of mine to the traffic polis ..were they also confirmed that this is all i would need .. and were curious why yabancis even want a turkish driving licence..(total 550 TL) so now i have to carry my uk licence and translated licence ..and i would never have a problem if stopped ..total price for me 54 TL a very happy bunny.. ;)

My brother, who lives in Fethiye and has a residence permit, was told when he made enquires about renting a car, that because he has a residence permit he needed to get a Turkish licence before he could rent a car. If he had stuck to a tourist visa it wouldn't have been necessary!He was not a happy bunny!I believe you don't have a residence permit do you Steve as you've mentioned doing visas runs to Samos?

..could be different rules in different areas Sunny i rented here before i bought ..and i never had a residence permit..possibly all the belvederes have different rules ..maybe thats why yabancis get confused on different foums ..just a thought.. ;)

interesting post on another forum...posted on a turkish forum yesterday ,although not Kusadasi i would imagine the same applies .. At the recent British Consulate meeting here in Didim and Akbuk it was announced that you do not have to have a Turkish driving licence now BUT you must have your UK card licence translated and notarised in Turkey and carry this translation with you in your car/wallet. The British Consulate also said that if any insurance company refused to insure you or charge you more because you don't have a Turkish licence then this is wrong according to the Turkish Highway Driving Law (don't know the exact name) and its article 40 section G. For more information I would e-mail the British Consulate for more information..happy days

Good to see that the British Consulate have finally got their act together.Although it seemed that a Turkish licence was not necessary (despite rumours to the contrary), since the Embassy website was never updated from the original version stating that "If you wish to drive in Turkey, you are required to carry either an International Driving Permit issued in the UK or a notarised copy, in Turkish, of your Driving Licence".

I wrote the US Embassy in Ankara and got this:

"Foreign driver's licenses can be used in Turkey for a year providing that you carry a notarized translation of your driver's license and your residence permit with you. After a year, you must obtain a Turkish one from the Turkish Security Directorate-Traffic Department."

So I wrote them back and said the British Consulate said this was not true. Their answer was:

"As far as we know this rule applies to all foreigners but sometimes different rules may apply to different nationalities based on the reciprocity agreements between the two countries. Americans need to get a Turkish one after their one year residency in Turkey."

Two countries bordered by a common ocean, separated by a common language and apparently different rules for driving. I guess UK residents must be more trustworthy Posted Image

... I guess UK residents must be more trustworthy Posted Image

Tabi canım....

:lol:

Why? Is it because French people don't need to produce their licenses at all? Just give their word? Or do a mime like in charades?

They just say "Bof" and give a Gallic shrug when they are asked to produce their driving licences.No, it was because holders of French driving licences (not necessarily French people) never have to renew them, even when they are old and decrepit. I suppose you just don't notice the difference in the driving skills of a senile half-blind French driver and the rest of French drivers.I was always surprised at the number of people I met in France who had bought theirs, and I made a metal note never to get into a car with them.

My wife asked the local police in Kaş to clarify the issue about the requirement for a Turkish driving licence. They confirmed what the US Embassy wrote me. They did say that residence permit holders who do not spend all of their time in Turkey, MAY get away with not having one. However, that being said, they also strongly suggested that anyone who spends most of their time in Turkey and holds a residence permit, should get a Turkish driving licence. In Kaş, it will probably not make much of a difference but who knows how other traffic police might interpret the law? In that case, you may have a case, then you will have to take your case, in a case to an attorney and after a case of money being spent on your case you may still end up with a case of the Blues...

Like the French, the Turkish licence is for life, (unfortunately) Posted Image so the price is for one time only.

i have a six month residence permit and do not have a driving license in my own country, how i could get a turkish driving license in Ankara. is there any training school for foreigners? 

appreciated if someone could help!

How do you obtain a Turkish driving licence?

Go to your local Trafik office and get the application forms. You'll need to have you UK licence photocopied, translated and notarised amongst other things.

Anyone changed their licence over recently?

After being told at the traffic police in Dec 2015 that I do not need to change my licence over, I have just had a warning at a (very friendly) traffic check. I was already to do this in Dec, went to traffic with UK licence, notarised translation and photocopy, with photos etc, but they would not accept it.

My question is this, at which stage do they take your home country licence away, when you apply or when they issue you the Turkish one? I have a trip to the UK coming up and will need to rent a car.