Bringing In New Mobile Phones To Turkey

Rate this topic

I had my mobile phone stolen from work, and i need to buy a new one. As i work abroad and will be coming back into Turkey within the next two weeks. I thought i would buy a new phone at the airport and bring it into Turkey. Does anybody know the rules on bringing a mobile phone into the country and then having it registered for use in Turkey?

I have a resident

yes i guess it depends on your network. My Blackberry works fine in Turkey but see below,A friend here in the UK tried to send phones back to their relatives in Turkey as gifts. I don't know the reasons but the phones where fine for a few weeks with Turkish sim cards then they seemed to get blocked or something. Maybe someone else has better knowledge then me and can help more :)

You're permitted to register 1 new foreign phone per passport or ID Card every 12 months.

Registration can be done at service provider's main shops, shouldn't cost more than a 5 TL admin charge and the phone will usually be unblocked within an hour or so. Although in busy periods it can take as long as 48 hours.

Scoobie, register the phone within 4 weeks of arriving back in Turkey with it as they turned me down when I tried to do it as I was over that time period.

Angi this is what happens when the phone is not registered it is blocked after a certain time, can't remember if it's the sim card or the phone, but I'm sure someone else will know.

I'm afraid I didn't risk it and I bought my mobiles here in Turkey although it was a lot more expensive that way. Also with Blackberry friends have told me that they had lots of problems using their bb's bought abroad here in Turkey even when registered since BB has its own servers and registration etc. To be honest I wouldn't risk buying an expensive iPhone in the UK only to have problems with it in Turkey. It may turn out to be a false economy.

• 1 year later...

Buhuhu, I bought an Iphone in the US, jailbroke it and now I could use it anywhere in the world with any sim provider... except... in Turkey I have another handset registered in my name so cant register my Iphone. Unless I find someone to register it for me, I am doomed to buy a new handset - dont wanna lose my Iphone .. buhuhuhu :((((My question, when I register my Iphone, would I have a problem (legal or otherwise) because it was jailbroken? The person /representative who will register my Iphone wont know that my Iphone was jailbroken, can he come to know this while registering it? Thanks people!!

Excuse me for asking but does 'jailbroken' mean unlocked, and if it does, then there should be no problem when registering it?