Need Help About Bringing Of The Car From Europe

Rate this topic

merhaba,I am new in this forum and I sorry that I didnt put this topic in needful place. So maybe anybody knows what is the law procedures and legal rules for bringing cars from Europe countries to Turkey, and with possibility in the future to sell it? Can anybody make any links of this kind legal and up-to-date information? tessekur ederim :rain:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

My advice: Don't!

When we moved here my dad wanted to bring his car (hyundai santa fe).

Everybody told us not to do it, but we thought "how difficult can it be".

You might now how difficult it is to get the right information here.

So everybody told us something else and we decided to believe the people from customs who said it was rather easy.

Then are car got here... We found out we would have to pay the price of a new santa fe here in Turkey ( = about 80.000 TL)This was just a tiny bit out of our budget.

It is impossible to sell the car here in Turkey,so we had to drive to the nearest european country (Bulgaria).

There we had to sell our car on a price that was far to low.

Conclusion: although cars are expensive here, it is far more expensive to bring your own,then to buy a new one.(I realise this sounds kind of preachy, but I would like it if people would learn from my mistakes)

Hi Planktos,The same thing happened to us. We bought a used car in Florence from a friend, drove it to Ancona, onto the ferry to Cesme, and finally to Adana. We later learned that the car was a tourist with a 90-day visa and had to be taken out before the expiry date, for at least 24 hours. We did this by taking it on another ferry to Northern Cyprus (that trip, counting benzine, boat fare, insurance, one night hotel and food for two ended up costing about 600 TL). By the time the second 90 days was about up we decided to take the stupid thing back to Italy and sell it--for far less than we paid, just like Helena.

You are a lot smarter than we were. You asked for advice first from people who have learned the hard way. Sometime ask me about the time I tried to have my music CD collection shipped to me from Denver to Tarsus.

wouw :) both of your stories are guite incredible :) actually I wasnt thinking that it can be something so hard, but now I realized that really it is not simple and its taking lots of time and money :) so it is time to save money and buy car in TURKEY :)just then I saw prices for example (www.araba.com) for used cars, I was in a real shock :) so because of that I was trying to avoid it, but not successfully :)thank you one more time ;)

Hi Planktos,Yes, cars are expensive in Turkey, but the upside is that they seem to hold their value pretty well, in case you ever do resell. And to add to my story, it turned out that in Tarsus we lived quite well without a car for a year and a half. It forced us to walk everywhere locally which was great for our health! The public transportation in Turkey is cheap and usually good (depending of course on the size of the city); in fact, when we moved to Gebze/Kocaeli and bought a car we ended up not using it a lot because driving to and within Istanbul was too scary.

Hi Planktos,Indeed, cars are very expensive here. If you are looking fo a cheap and new car, you should look for the brand Tata.

We bought our car (tata marina) for around 18.000 TL, but they got smaller and cheaper ones as well as bigger cars. We are pretty happy with it. Of course it depends on what you need. If you are planning on making many trips, you should invest in a better car. We bought a new car because we were also shocked with how expensive the second-hand cars are.

And Lili, I'm very sad this had to happen to you as well,but i'm so happy people can learn from our mistakes.

yeah, it is nonsence for example to pay nearly 12000 - 14000 YTL for BMW 525 tds, 92 years. omg! ;) ok, we will see in the future about this issue. therefore, thank you for your advices :)

Planktos, unless you're rich I'd advise to give up looking at 'posh' cars and look for economical ones, especially diesel as not only are cars expensive, fuel prices are the highest in the world, even more expensive than the UK!

Also the araba vergi (tax) is more expensive for engines over 1600cc.

Yes, the prices for cars and everything around it keep on rising. I really do not understand how there can still be so many cars here.

How do people afford it?

Renting prizes are getting high, the electric just went up and the wages here are the lowest.

tamam ozaman arkadaslar ;) tessekur ederim for all information :) I hope God will give us money, and we won't have any problems!!! INSALLAH! :)