Turkish Foreign Policy

Rate this topic

I'm wondering what you all think about Turkey's very active diplomacy with Iraq, Syria, Iran, Armenia, Russia. Alot has gone on over the past year.

Are you fans of Davutoğlu, his strategy?

How do you feel about Turkey's friendly relations with Iran? Good realpolitik? Bad association?

Can Turkey be a credible leader of the Muslim world in the way that Egypt tried to be the leader of the Arab world in the 50s and 60s?

• 4 weeks later...

Turkish foreign policy had primarily been based on conflicts towards her neighbours in the last century. This was mostly because of giving the people the impression of the compulsory of having a very strong army in case of any crisis with her neighbours. Military spending of the country that cover almost the half of the total budget could have barely been justified by the people in the view of this hostility environment. This high percentage of the military expenses was both in favour of the junta(which have always formed an informal guardianship of the regime) and the global powers that could make a good money out of this relationship. And with this reason, the hostility between Turkey and her neighbours have always been urged by the global powers in order to sell weapons and the 'deep state' that seriously needed to have a very strong army in a probably coup which is actually not an extraordinary event in Turkey.

In summary, Turkey had to have diplomatic and political crisis/hostilities with her neighbours in order to serve the interests of the focal points shortly mentioned above.

In the new era of the Akp government, these military expenses -that's actually the main reason of the backwardness of some points such as education, health and justice- are tried to get reduced since it's impossible to develop while paying such huge amounts for weapons and other military expenses. If I need to talk about my thoughts; although not being a person who vote for akp in the elections, I'm supporting this policy that will serve the regional and global peace as reducing the tension and the military spending while canalizing these amounts to other fields which are as important as security necessity.

@Cem TURKTEKIN>Wonderful and brilliantly written piece! Nonetheless,I could not agree with your sentiments more! When I arrived in Turkey in the late 90's, I was filled with joy and fear but the worst has passed becaue I've come to love Turkey so much given my many pleasant and even bewildered times. History, wars/conflicts, and politics as you so eloquently pointed out were driving forces in building the Turkush Replublic. And anyone can talk about any country's birth and continued existance but it's helm of prosperity rest with exacting occurances as the Turkish Republic although at different degree's of strife.

@Sean:Your Question: I'm wondering what you all think about Turkey's very active diplomacy with Iraq, Syria, Iran, Armenia, Russia. Alot has gone on over the past year.

Reply: Although, I have not been in Turkey physically, I'm a student of politics and world events, especially given the facts of America's involvement in two (2) wars and fight agaisnt terrorist not only in Turkey but worldwide. Diplomacy is certainly a feverant requirement for any countries growth exponentialy with it's foreign neighbors. Unfortunately, Turkey is or has been in a tight predicament for years. And it being a muslim dominated country creates further problems with both their neighboring muslim countries and western allies. It's certainly difficult to play the fence and/or ride a tight rope and remain in good favor with all countries. Next, it's imperative that Turkey do engage their fellow muslim countries as they have been intertwined with the countries you stated for generations. However, to do so, it must be done to a degree in which diplomacy and how it's accomplished does not create static discord on a countinued basis, i.e., one without a forseen/planned time period of calm and tranquility. I'm sure, especialy given western powers fight against terrorism, coupled with the fact that the religion of islam happens to be a forever concern by many who identify it with Terrorsit organizations that it's going to be a long and eshausting world concern--A great deal of the world's existance believe it or not in my personal oppinion rest with the current diplomacy of all countries involvement and not just Turkey or it's neighboring countries. And clearly there is much seperation between a religious belief and terrorist organization's who use Islam as their fighting mantle agaisnt so-called oppressor's! Similarly, yes, the U.

S.

A has a great deal if not the most involvement in all the uproar and if one U.

S. presidential administration catapulted high energies to Turkish Mulsim-nation diplomacy it's former president's Bush's! Your Question: Are you fans of Davutoğlu, his strategy?

Reply: "What are you kidding me--ABSOLUTELY"! Davutoğlu has the leadership, educational, and social upbringing to implode Turksih diplomacy world-wide and he has unquestionably taken the mantel of purseverance and nation-building dialog to new heights! I was very impressed with his initiative and forming of the 2010 Global and Turkish Foreign Policy gathering in Ankara which lasted until January 8, 2010. Furthermore, I foresee him being a strong force and candadiate for president in the unforseen future. He has exapanded dialong with neighboring countries, European Union, United States, Gulf countries, Central Asia, Middle East, various international bodies, outreach to Latin America, the Pacific and the Caribbean region. Similarly, Turkey has expanded it's embassies by seven (7) in 2009 and plan is in the works to open twenty-six (26) more to which most will be opened on the African continent. His strategy you say, " well it's taken off like a high-speed rocket and I pray for his steadfast and continued leadership and promise not only for Turkey and it's citizens but for the world abound--T

• 3 years later...

As latest developments have shown, current leadership of Azerbaijan tries constantly to dictate its terms to our Turkish authorities. At first Azeri parliament dared to criticize our President A. Gul's congratulating his Armenian counterpart S. Sargsyan on his re-election (www.azernews.az/Azerbaijan/50090.html), indicating our independent country how it must behave towards Armenia, then Baku started openly declaring as if flights of our private Borajet Company to Armenia from Van deepen Azerbaijan's conflict with Karabakh (DEAD LINK)! And how after it does Azerbaijan desire to get our support as its regional ally, I wonder?! To all seeming current Azerbaijan's leadership has decided to walk heavy in contacts with our Turkey, eh?

Azerbaijan are beating war drums that are worn and tired.

There is no reason why the area can't strive towards a more pro-active stance on reconciliation and forgiveness. Armenia aren't enemies anymore and they don't have the ability to start dictating policy in that area. It was a refreshing approach by Gul to congratulate Sargasyan's success.

However, old wounds die hard.

• 2 weeks later...

i am not turkish, being somali i think turkey today under erdogan is much different turkey before,and i am not defending erdogan because he went to mogadishu,somalia,but really ...i think attaurk was great leader,he made turkey secular right time ,and remeber turks werent as educated as today back then,the country could have become iran,but now turkey is confident to practice its faith without fear of radicalism,turkish women can wear hijab proudly and say "i am european and muslim @ same time" just like bosnia, and dont forget u cant brain wash turks today they are very educated and sophisticated like any other european country. the problem is not turkey,the propblem is western christain countries who assume "europe means christain" instead faceing the fact that there are indeginous european muslims.

besides the question is not "can turkey have good relation muslim world? every country should have good relation with muslim world to get rid off islamaphobia,i remember this guy in my class he had this fear about islam,then i asked why u fear little headscraf on head? then he said to me i visited turkey even they fear and they are muslim! i was speachless and didnt know what say,there is no good or bad discrimination,discrimination is bad and we have to accept. man i praise Davutaglu.

could have become iran

A lot of educated Turks think it may become Iran.

turkish women can wear hijab proudly and say "i am european and muslim @ same time"

But they don't think of themselves as European at all. It's good to be free to wear whatever you want to wear. Personally, I am unsure of the actual religious reasons for wearing headscarves, I believe it is more political, and more about male control.

u cant brain wash turks today they are very educated and sophisticated like any other european country.

Turks can be brainwashed just like any other population. They are not that sophisticated outside of a few cities in the west. And even then, not every part of those cities.

the problem is not turkey,the propblem is western christain countries who assume "europe means christain" instead faceing the fact that there are indeginous european muslims.

There is without a doubt a problem with 'Islamophobia' in Europe. I personally don't think it's the main stumbling block for Turkey joining the EU. I think Erdogan is playing as many players as he can - whether they be north, south east or west of Turkey.

why u fear little headscraf on head? then he said to me i visited turkey even they fear and they are muslim!

This is true. Erdogan is chipping away at secularism. Some people are noticing. Some people won't notice until it is too late.

I just found this article

DEAD LINK

interesting article, one thing i always hear form turks is "them and us", the city sophisticated people and the backward country people., i think personaly it is not true,every country u go to even in america,the country people are more conservative than new york people,but that doesnt mean they the country people are backward. i think the problem is all turkeys muslim neighbours are in a mess,syria and trust me iran is nest,now how could u blame turkey having a little anxiety. one little mistake turkey made was it wasted alot of time waiting to join EU instead focusing development, you see now turkey is focusing become superpower intead saying please let me in EU,now that is confedence,and that is good role model for muslim world.

somalis love turkey not because money and power,saudi arabia has all that, and millions somalis live in saudia arabia and middle east since they are stone throw away from us,dubai is close to us,but the reason we love turkey ist the way they think,turks dont like extremism or creating anti american agenda,that is what attracts somalis to turkey, money is nothing peace is everything.

and turks shouldnt devide each other into city and country,i mean i wouldnt feel peace knowing country people feel they had no rights,because one day it will explode

one thing i learn from human psychology is if dictate how some one should live in personal life,not only it will backfire but the back fire would be EXREME. for example if i tell u cant eat ice cream for so long,then one day when u the chance,you will eat the ice cream in LARGE AMOUNT,but if i letu @ the begining may be u would had one spoon of ice cream,so my point is when u tell women u cant women weear hijab @ university,then u will create angry human beings who not only want wear hijab but may even cover their face for revenge,even those who sympothesie for them will wear it,i am sorry that humanity, you see somali government did same thing in 70s and 80s but now what do u have ungry wahabi ideology thanks to opressing those who want wear little scarf on their head,

interesting article, one thing i always hear form turks is "them and us", the city sophisticated people and the backward country people., i think personaly it is not true,every country u go to even in america,the country people are more conservative than new york people,but that doesnt mean they the country people are backward

It depends what you mean by sophisticated.

In Istanbul shopping centres you will see 2 year old children being pushed in their buggies while they play on iPads. Children take iPhones to school. I doubt you'd see that in a village.

I think there is a big difference between country people and city people as far as disposable income and access to education are concerned.

Female children will be encouraged to leave school early, there are no Dershanes, sports facilities etc. Internet access will be very limited or non existent. Time stands still in these places.

Therefore the level of education is quite low. And the chance of improving education is low.

But even with all the education available in the cities, things can still progress really slowly. So I agree, people's attitudes, thinking can still be quite similar to country people.

i think the reason why turkish cities in the east is behind comared to west is there were this believe of "if i look towards EU everything will be great" but in reality and EU had played hypocracy also by promising turkey it will one day join EU while @ same time crating civil unrest in its muslim neighbours. and to be quiet honest turkey is doing well considering they dont have huge oil reserves like saudis,you country is in interesting period i mean after erdogan elected all the sudden turkey has no enemy neighbour excpt greeks, and people feared erdogan of damaging secularism,but instead he created harmony around his neighbour,before itwas military nation and always asssumed some one will attack turkey,look now erdogan can go to egypt and he will be loved,africa he will be loved,asia,europe ,everywhere infact and now he can focus raising standad living of turks instead military military military more military anxiety that left all its taxpayers in weapons for god sake pakistan india they all have nuclear but they are third world country,having nice defence but people without bread aint right

bytheway greeks will never welcome turks,infact they are the ones who is behind blocking u entering EU, funnly the greek are just like ethiopian,u see every time ethiopians hear the word "somali" all the sudden they remember ancient holly wars between islam vs christainy in abyssnia,now when u living the past like that u cant have friendly future, but in reality ottomans were really the only empire in the who didnt discriminate people, i mean how could u have turkish government for 500 years and still speak somali,wear traditional somali clothesthat is never heard of in western history,that is clear sign how ottomans were tolerant of other races,religion my grand father told me when ottoamans conquor somali land the first thing they did was digg a well for nomad villagers,now that sounds a movie clip if i tell westerner but infact that is what happen

bytheway greeks will never welcome turks,infact they are the ones who is behind blocking u entering EU, funnly the greek are just like ethiopian,u see every time ethiopians hear the word "somali" all the sudden they remember ancient holly wars between islam vs christainy in abyssnia,now when u living the past like that u cant have friendly future, but in reality ottomans were really the only empire in the who didnt discriminate people, i mean how could u have turkish government for 500 years and still speak somali,wear traditional somali clothesthat is never heard of in western history,that is clear sign how ottomans were tolerant of other races,religion my grand father told me when ottoamans conquor somali land the first thing they did was digg a well for nomad villagers,now that sounds a movie clip if i tell westerner but infact that is what happen

Ahmed, there are errors in your post.

Greece is not blocking Turkey entering the EU. Greek Cypriots ( Cyprus is a country in its own right) and the Island of Cyprus are one of the stumbling blocks. to accession

Every country who had an Empire or Colonies imposed thier will,The Ottomans like everyone one else thought they were better and more powerful than their subjects and they were, that's why they were able to subjugate so many countries for hundreds of years

I can only speak for the British, they did not force people to speak English or to adopt British dress because they were too busy accumulating wealth and keeping the natives in their place just the same as the Ottomans, Countries had empires and colonies for the sole reason of plundering a countries manpower and assets,

Ottomans did most definitely discriminate just as much as the other nations who had empires and colonies, so don't look at their benevolence through rose coloured glasses.

Ahmed can I ask you why you, as a Somali, living in Australia, are interested in Turkey?

• 4 years later...
9 hours ago, Abdinasir Hassan Nor said:

FenerEniste you know turkey has great impact to world muslim side of military power and  politics and has long term civilization to lead muslim world as before turkey lead the islamic empire (khalifa).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion...but have you been to Turkey?  Have you lived there?  Visited there?

In my opinion, the current government party (AKP) & its leader (Erdogan) are making a country that is proud of its SECULAR stance more ISLAMIC, which is what the founder (Mustafa Kemal Ataturk) fought so hard to avoid.  Have you read the history of Turkey?  Pick up the book: Ataturk by Andrew Mango...give it a good read...& then read it again. 

Believe me, with all the things going on right now...

Ataturk is turning in his grave!  The constitution has been rewritten to allow a more Islamic state...and almost what seems to be a dictatorship where Erdogan is in power for years.  I love Turkey, but sometimes I feel for what it once was...these days it's a lot different. 

Finally...how can Erdogan be the savior you want so bad for the Middle East...when he won't even treat his fellow Turks with respect?  From the handling of the Gazi Park Protests (çapulcu) ) to the Gulenist threat (what a laugh), the investigation into his sham elections, corruption & of course to the current (& long standing) purge/arrest of journalists etc...Do you really know what's going on or are you just playing troll on the internet

Yes Ibrahim Abi all the members on this forum must obey the rules and regulations of the forum so on my opinion presidnet Erdogan took step to strengthening the basis of peace and stability in the region creates an environment of mutually beneficial cooperation with states in the region and other states in the world so Erdogan is a great leader.