Best One Minute Recipe - By Manager At Waitrose, Uk

Rate this topic

:duh[1]: Normally I am a real dunce at cooking and never seem to have the time any more to prepare a lovely roast (used to, years ago but no longer) so I was chatting to the Manager of my local Waitrose store in Surrey, UK and he suggested his very favourite ONE MINUTE RECIPE ! :Germany: - now myself, my Mum who is 80 and very traditional in her food tastes, and 8 of my friends are making this receipe. So yesterday I went to see the Manager to thank him - and gave him a Turkish Carpet Mouse Mat for Xmas as a Thank You :mellow: - now I will toast him and all of you for a Very Happy Christmas :lol: Recipe - WITH A MICROWAVE - INGREDIENTS:- Cheddar Cheese -- Guacomole Dip - - Tomato Salsa Dip -- Pack of 6 or 8 Tortillas (in UK just

Question please - to Cukarbagli or anyone else who cooks in Turkey?! - can I get all these ingredients in Side or Antalya do you think? - or should I bring some back with me from UK when I return to Side in early January?

Well I don't know about the big cities like Antalya etc but I haven't seen most of the ingredients in Kas that's for sure. I happened to see packets of tortillas in Fethiye today but I imagine yufka would substitute for that anyway. Migros have recently had packets of thin sliced ham in Kas so might have it in all the shops? :Australia: or is Kas a special case? Asparagus tips might be a bit difficult to find, as will guacomole and tomato salsa but Turkish equivalents might be ok, I don't know. If I were you I'd bring the lot, if you want to eat the dish it will be cheaper than buying the ingredients here even if they are available.

:Australia: Thanks Cukarbagli - can you suggest exactly what Turkish ingredients might be a substitute then - for any of the above? Bit messy to bring the lot with me! xx

Well since everything is out of a can I don't really know what would be the exact substitute. As I said, yufka would probably do instead of tortilla. Migros have/had ham and cheddar although it's processed and in slices and tastes nothing like cheddar. I don't think I've ever knowingly tasted quacomole so wouldn't have a clue about that.

Can't help much I'm afraid, anybody else have any ideas/clues?

Angela, have a good look at Nigella's webiste, there are recipes on there I'm sure for the salsa and the guacamole - I've seen her prog here on Digiturk and she makes both of them. I bought an avocado in Kas last week so I'm sure you'll get them easily in Antalya or Side. I've also bought lavaş bread in my local supermarket which comes in sealed packets which you can reseal - they are cheap and keep well in the fridge. I use them for making chicken and veg wraps. My local supermarket in Kas also stocks jars of aspargus too, in a low salt brine so I bet they'd be available in Migros in Antalya. I think the only thing you'd need to bring would be some super fantastic English cheddar!!!

Thanks Scoobydoo, I will look a bit harder next time I want some, I know Muhtar has all the goodies (even got proper curry paste now) and go in there a lot but never saw any asparagus tips. Avocados are readily available in Kas.

He he, Jozsika - your posts always make me smile - hic myself - just had some YUMMY hot mulled wine - 1 day to go and Xmas presents piling high under the tree here in Surrey UK.

ScoobyDoo - thanks sooo much - I am just beginning my packing now as I leave on 3 Jan for Side and was wondering what food to get, so cheddar it is and nothing more - so more room for other goodies! HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL ... Angela xxx

Yes, that one by Joz made me laugh! Angela, I always get stopped at Terminal 3 and asked (1) if I have come from Turkey and (2) if I have any meat or cheese in my cases. I guess it's only coming back here that's the problem and not the other way - into Turkey.

Coming back I have my cases packed with bodybuilding supplies - hope they don't think I'll be starting up a shop there! Bb supplies, like most things in Turkey, are imported therefore overpriced and of course very difficult to get hold of at all. They weigh so much and have taken up so much space.

The mulled wine sounds nice - can't remember the last time I had that and rarely have alcohol nowadays. Only if I go out for dinner with my friend and then the last time I only had sparkling water. I used to live in Germany and their gluhwein is famous of course. I am going back a day earlier - on 2 January - from Heathrow. I guess you mustn't be travelling from Heathrow if you are travelling on Jan 3 since the baggage handlers and check-in staff who handle Turkish Airline's have threatened a strike on 3 and 4 January which is why I changed my flight from the 3 to the 2nd.

Every now again, we really enjoy a Mexican (almost) meal with Tortilla Wraps bought here. In our experience Şok own label is the best.

Then the important bit. The fillings. We usually have a choice of: thin slices of spicy chicken; homemade guacamole (recipes on internet and most ingredients available here); shredded lettuce, hummus; chilli tomato dip; yoghurt (substitute for soured cream); sweet corn; chopped tomato, onion and cucumber; home made coleslaw. Delicious!

We sometimes have a small dish of curried vegetable, too.

It's not a one minute recipe but worth it for the explosion of flavours!