Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

Unbelievable (Fleas)

Rate this topic

In the mild winter that we've so far being having the fleas have made an unwelcome return:( I got bitten a few times on the foot. Not anything like before but sadly shows that despite my lovely new laminate floor, there were still enough of them to hide out somewhere. I'm going home for 2 weeks soon but if it has been mild over Xmas will fumigate when I get back and then again in Spring. Damn!!!!

Oh dear, sorry to hear that Benh. They really are indestructable little so and so's aren't they. At least you will have some respite over Christmas.

That is bad news Benh, I am wondering if they are getting into your flat from somewhere else. After 6 months of living with my MiL we moved into a top floor flat that she rented out but before we moved in the whole flat was renovated. This included a wall being knocked down between the lounge and kitchen, the whole of the old kitchen was taken out, and a new one put in also new floor tiles were put down in that area and the rest of the flat had laminated flooring put down. After a month of living there cockroaches started to appear and it was a nightmare, one might say that it was because I wasn't cleaning the flat properly but I was.What we did find was that in the kitchen 3/4 of the way up on the wall was a vent hole that you connected the cooker hood hose to which hadn't been sealed properly around the hose. So the net result was because the vent hole was opening out to a central ventilation shaft that went from the bottom flat to the roof if anyone had got unwanted visitors like fleas and cockroachs we all got them. We did find that after sealing properly around the hose and killing the cockroaches that were in the flat that we didn't get any more.So, I am wondering if you have the same system that is where your fleas are coming from as I think you said that a lady above you had a lot of cats.

Abi, yes I also had roaches a while back but the bug buster got rid of them. So far so good about those anyway.The fleas are another thing entirely. As Cukur so rightly said - they are indestructible. They are also far smaller than roaches and reproduce at an alarming rate as you probably know.I do believe that this all started because I was in the UK for 3 months last year and the windows were closed. The eggs which were obviously dormant here from before I moved in, hatched and the whole building was infested. The bug buster had success with the other apartments but not mine which was the worst infected and where the original hatching started.However, the actual cause of the fleas is the large number of cats here. The woman at the very top has 10 cats which she swears (she would, wouldn't she) she has de-flea'd but there is no way of believing her or checking of course. Even she would never know if they were all flea-free. Added to that are the large numbers of cats living on this street and roundabouts. They are 'looked after' strays i.e. the locals put out cat food for them so they are all quite well fed looking. Beyoglu is a historic area with old houses and numerous hidey holes for fleas and vermin to breed so really one is fighting a losing battle. The only thing I can do is pounce on them with flea powder in Spring and if (I hope not) when I come home from the New Year holidays they have become unmanageable. Otherwise I have to grin and bear them and put antihistamine gel on the bites. If it's only the odd bite I don't go to all the hassle and mess of fumigating the place. It smells horrible and gives me a sore throat for weeks. Also I am weak with dieting for a possible contest in March so want to keep all excess work to a minimum now.

This website that Abi posted a link to has some good natural remedies for a few different insect infestation problems including some for fleas. Could be worth having a go at some of these.http://www.eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm

G'day BenH,

Sorry to hear this..

No, I am not going to say;" Sell that place and move on"..

Pest control places I queried all agree on the same thing:

You are missing the breeding-infesting spot somehow..

Animals outside are not the cause..

Once that spot is found and treated, the problem should vanish.

After all you have been through, you really deserve "problem free" times..

Regards,

Cukur - yes I tried salt along with the poisons and the whole combination was very effective the first time. It made a hell of a mess but I was being eaten alive before I turned the house into a sandpit.Joz...no don't tell me to move cos was such a hassle moving into this place and getting it beautified:) And yes, your answer re the breeding spot is a very good point but what can I do?? This bloomin' place is moggy heaven as you can see from my original post. It only takes one infected cat and there may be loads of them here so there could be quite a few breeding spots.When reading about this subject I see that fleas have a 'cycle' and that if you interrupt this cycle it can work. I think this means to fumigate and then do it again 2 weeks later when the eggs are hatched. I did that before but never really beat the problem and the recent warm snap brought them back again, albeit in a very small way.The weather should not be a problem now however as it is FREEZING, COLD AND blowing hurricanes here at the moment!