Sign in to follow this  
royedgar

Electrical Plug Adapters

Rate this topic

I have been looking on different web sites for plug adapters and it seems that they vary between countries. I see many kits with multiple styles. This doesn't seem to be a wise choice when probably only one will be of use in turkey. So which is right for turkey so I can buy multiples of the correct one?ThanksRoy :coolthumb[1]:

The sockets here are round two pin. The plugs can either be flat, without an earth or round with an earth. Knowing the sockets here and their liability to come out of the wall I would be cautious in using the added weight of an adaptor. Fitting Turkish plugs to you appliances when you get here might be a safer option. :coolthumb[1]: I hope this helps.

Abi,It does help. Also had a link to a site that sells them. Thanks SunnyWill check that option once in country since I'll be around for a year for so. I'll get a couple adpters for the short term while arranging housing.Thank You :coolthumb[1]:

Yes, we changed our plugs over as well. But if you do have to use an adaptor, it's best to plug it into a power board which sits flat on the floor. As Sunny says, the wall sockets don't lend themselves to the weight of adaptors, and anyway are notorious for being insecurely fixed on walls.It's just too easy to pull them right out of the wall along with the plug !!! :coolthumb[1]:

i hadnt even thought about this til today...funny thing is i am fed up with my hairdryer just falling out the plug socket or my hair straigtners (when i can be assed to use them) turning themselves on and off as the adaptor wont sit tight.....i will make that a job to add to my hubs list of things to do...havent a clue how to myself and frankly i dont like the blame when things go wrong after!there wasnt places to buy locally the quality i wanted so thats why i brought over some elec items a few yrs ago.....so this reminder reminds me things dont have to remain a pain in the ass (what the hell is an earth for anyway...sure that was on my science exam at GCSE)....doh

There are also a couple of other less expensive gadgets that you can use to stop your adapters dropping out of the socket. The first is a cocktail stick and the other is a sharpened matchstick. :beerchug[1]:

I have a small cardboard box taking the weight of my adaptor to my surge protector brought from the UK for my laptop. :beerchug[1]:

all very usefull ideas here.... :beerchug[1]: anyone else found turkish electrical items often have rather short leads whereas english are longer and often you have a fair bit.there are plenty of things in my house i need extension cables for even though the plug is not that far away. maybe its just me.And while we are on the subject....do objects on standby really take that much electricity? our elec bill seems rather high and im considering all options.....also means not leaving lap top on i guess.