Sign in to follow this  
forwardtherapy

University In Ankara, What Is It Like?

Rate this topic

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the University in Ankara is like. Are there good facilities? Are there any sports facilities? How about accommodation? Is it easy to find in Ankara?

There are a number of state-owned and a number of 'foundation' universities, as they are called, which are owned by private foundations.

The most interesting state-owned university is 'Middle East Technical University'. Interesting, because it was among a few universities which are recognized internationally. Now the number of such universities must be greater than the past, but I don't know which ones are so. What I want to point out is that, it is a high standard university from many aspects. It mainly focuses on engineering, science and technology in curriculum, though social and administrative sciences can be studied as well.

For those interested in medical studies, Hacettepe, a state-owned university, is on top of the list of preferences. It has engineering departments as well. For instance, in Turkey, only Hacettepe has a hydro-geology program. For those who want to study English literature, or linguistics, it offers programs.

Ankara University has a faculty of law and a faculty of political sciences, also the 'Faculty of Language, History and Geography' of the university offers many degree programs in language. You can even study Latin or Sumerology there.

Another state-owned university is Gazi University, among other departments it has, education programs has a long past.The departments are not limited to what I wrote, you can study almost any subject you like in Ankara.

As for private or foundation universities, I can write their names or URLs if you want, and send you by mail.The student dormitories of the state universities are relatively cheap, and some are quite comfortable, though you cannot find single rooms. In Turkey students make a group of three or four and rent houses, in order to minimize the cost and enjoy the comfort of a house rather than a dormitory room. Life in Ankara is quite enjoyable for students , Ankara is a typical 'student town'. From food to entertainment, it is easier than Istanbul and more colorful than Izmir for a student.

But be warned , you may find that lectures are more like an old fashioned school with the teacher only doing the talking with no questions or student participation.

The Middle East Technical University where I was a student years ago, is based on some 'non-classic' principles. Student participation is encouraged. Most of the student leaders of the 70's were from that school, owing to its democratic environment. The things changed in Turkey, but METU has still the same mentality.

Hacettepe was quite similar to the METU in terms of educational principles.

Ankara and Gazi Universities are rather 'classic'. I was a student of the Ankara University as well, student participation was neither prevented nor encouraged.

By the way, AshR, the websites of the schools have English versions.

I found out the course I am interested in is at Hacettepe University. So I can now go into their website and check out what they have to offer. Ankara does sound like a great place to study. I have some other choices as well but I have a bit of time to decide.

I don't know about these yet, but the program will be part of a masters course and the time at Ankara is part of my home university's program, so I am assuming they will let us know what is required and the formalities. I hope so!

I checked websites of those  universities and they look really nice for me. They all suggest my most wanted specialty.

I would like to study in Istanbul more than in Ankara but I want to study in METU more. I heard it's really good. Anyway, I still have time to decide.

Also there is one thing i really worry about - price. I think universities in Turkey are really expensive, aren't they?

Bilkent is expensive (private university), but Bosphorus and METU are government universities, with fairly reasonable tuition fees for foreign students, especially compared with UK and European fees. Those universities' websites will give you information about their international fees, and the process of applying for a student visa. You will also have to buy private health insurance for the duration of your studies. Good luck !

thanks again for the information.i am sorry that i am asking so many questions, but i am young, i haven't experience so i don't know many things... and haven't any friends from my country who study (studied) in Turkey.The last (I guess) question, I heard that countries in Europe hardly accept Turkish unis dipomas..? maybe anyone knows something about that..? :)

I guess Turkish universities may not always have a high reputation outside the country (unlike degrees obtained in the UK, for example), but it's OK if you plan to stay on & work in Turkey afterwards. If you plan to return to your own country, you should ask around how they would receive job applications from applicants with Turkish qualifications. Then you will have your best answer. Good luck.

I am a high school student from Jordan and I read some of your comments. I was really interested. I want to study medicine at Hacettepe University in English. but I don't know anything about the application, the deadline, or the requirements (I do the O-level and A-level exams). And the fees. Also what do I need for visa and how much does it cost?

I want to live in Ankara. But what are the usual expenses?