Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

Freezer Dilemma

Rate this topic

There isn't really a place to put this so I've stuck it in the DIY section.As some of you know, I live in Beautiful Beyoglu with its beautiful wildlife (!) and frequent power cuts due to its antiquity (so Bedash tell me). The question is - am I safe to keep frozen food (other than frozen veg) in my freezer compartment? I am worried about food defrosting and then being risky to eat once the freezer starts working again and re-freezes the said food. I am talking about fish and chicken etc. At the moment I am nervous to keep anything more than processed cheese (yuk) and eggs in my refrigerator.Please advise if you can:)

..with a new freezer ,without power should last 24 hours ,,with an old one i would half that ..it is still safe to eat defrosted food ..but i would eat it asap..as your fridge would obviously not be working either..also a good tip if you have a half empty freezer ,is fill it with blocks of polystyrene..(the bits from tellys and dvd players..etc)..also this cuts down your energy costs.. :)

You can also make lots of ice cubes and store them in frezzer bags in the unused space in the freezer, then if you have a few visitors you always have enough for a gallon of G&T. :)

Yes, your stuff should be perfectly OK Benh as long as you don't open the freezer door. As Steve says it should be OK for at least 12 hours.That's a good tip about the polystyrene. Are you trying to turn us into alcoholics Cukur? :D

Are you trying to turn us into alcoholics Cukur? :)

Heaven forbid Sunny, you could also use the ice to treat sprains and aching muscles like I do. :D

Being from a hurricane prone area, I am used to long power cuts. Steve has it right, and all I can add is cover everything but the compressor{it may restart} with blankets. I have made a full freezer last frozen for 4 days {don't open it} with this method. If you still have partially frozen food with ice crystals, it will be good.