Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

My New Laminate Floor

Rate this topic

As most of you regulars know, I've been plagued by a severe flea infestation in my old Istanbul house which 4 months of fighting and 8 fumigations hadn't licked. Fleas either hide in fitted carpets or between the cracks and fissures of floorboards. It didn't help that the woman upstairs has TEN cats (she swears she de-flease them but..) and that there are stray cats all up and down this street in great numbers. Beyoglu is full of historic buildings and bugs and rats as you know.As my floorboards were 150 years old there were plenty of cracks and crevices so I knew I was basically living on a flea factory. In the end, a neighbour recommended a floor guy who came to assess the place and said he'd met this kind of severe flea infestation before because of this old paraquet.So last Saturday they worked from 7.30 am until 6 pm (interrupted by one of the usual power cuts here) and I have a lovely new laminate floor which I hope keeps down the fleas. The whole house except for the little room where the water heater is has been floored so I hope when the flea season starts next year there will be some improvement. Even if it doesn't completely get rid of the fleas, it will be easier to fumigate and MUCH easier to clean.Anyone got any experience of laminate floors?

Let's hope that it cures the problem Benh.My daughter has laminate floors in the dining area of her kitchen. You must not let anyone walk on them in stiletto heels as it will leave indentations in the floor. In the rest of the house she has old floorboards with gaps in between them as her house is Victorian. To stop drafts they have lined underneath the board with some purpose designed insulation material.

Great benh I bet it looks lovely, and lets hope the reason you had it fitted in the first place works for you.......Give me a new build anyday....I have laminate flooring in my lounge have had it down more than 10 years, I got it when laminate flooring just started to get fashionable, and I paid quite a lot of money for it as it was a very good one, it's the glued type not click system I paid quite a bit to have it fitted also, two blokes laid the first row then glued the next and they had straps that they kept pulling the boards together with to make them fit tight............all these years later you still can't see a join..I was told when I bought it you could walk on mine in any shoes it wouldn't harm it, you could also drop a lighted cigarette and it wouldn't leave a mark you just wipe the nicotine stain off..........and it's certainly lived up to what I was told, it's taken some hammer what with two 6 foot lads and their mates and a dog for a few years....and I never take my shoes off even shoes with heals, but thats my flooring I think a lot of the stuff you get now you would have to be more careful with heals................The only let down I feel is the wood colour, it's a tinge bit cherry/mahogany so I feel the colour alone makes it look outdated, but apart from that to be honest it looks just like new.All I do is hover all the bits of fluff etc up (yes hover not brush it) then I just mop clean with soapy water, dead easy....

So pleased to hear that you have now got a nice new floor.I had a gorgeous laminate floor throughout my apartment when I lived in Istanbul 6 yrs ago and it was a dream. Also lovely to walk barefoot on during the winter,better than the cold ceramic tiling I now have for sure. Very easy to take care of and keep looking good.I hope it helps to clear your flea problem too,pesky things.saffie

Sounds lovely! Hope it's sorted your little problem.We have 'Rhinofloor' in our house, which is a very thick rubberised vinyl, with a textured wood-effect surface. It's fooled a few people into thinking it's really wood.We have a cat, and I'm sure it's made a difference to summer fleas.It took me a while to find a mop I liked though - those 'squeegee' ones are really hard work. I'm back to the old cotton style. And when you see the amount of dust blowing around, you realise how much dust is probably collecting in a carpet!!

good for you! it sounds great. im a real fan of it but we have tiles and its now i think id like something else as the tiles are cold and the rugs look...well so turkish! not bad but not practical to lift and clean around when you have them layered up!. i would love new floors!.....

It took me a while to find a mop I liked though - those 'squeegee' ones are really hard work. I'm back to the old cotton style. And when you see the amount of dust blowing around, you realise how much dust is probably collecting in a carpet!!

Maybe slightly off topic, but there's a new style of mop out -- really just 2 or 3 soft cloths on a pole -- I bought one, it's much better than a regular mop. We had wall-to-wall carpets back home, and when we got new carpet in the living room, I was totally shocked at the amount of dust & dirt under the underlay, which couldn't be cleaned by vaccuum. Decided there & then never to have fitted carpets again, and we don't !Enjoy your new floor benh ! Do keep us posted about your flea results !

I've got one of those 'cloth' mops and as you say Meral they are very good, so absorbent. There much better at cleaning my marble floors than anything I've tried before. They are not expensive either, just a lira or two off the market.

Thanks everyone:)Debbie, I hate new builds! Compare them with my Ottoman period house which everyone gasps at the cathedral high ceilings to one of these identikit little villas or flats thrown up all around the resorts...nooooooo thanks:) I'm sticking to my Fleapit!Yes Sunny, I am careful about the floor as I know sharp objects mark it.The jury will be out for a while re the fleas since flea season is over so I won't know until next year how things are. I don't think a severe infestation such as the one I have will be completely cured ever. The woman upstairs has 10 cats so what can we do here?? Not to mention the stray moggies cruising around and the restaurants which attract rats etc etc. It must however make some difference and will be much easier to clean when I next need to do a fumigation.