The Need Of A Turkish Will

Rate this topic

Most foreign property owners in Turkey are not aware that a Turkish will is necessary to ensure easy transition of their title deeds to their benefactors.

This is because without a will in place, under Turkish Law your estate will be held by the government until inheritance is ruled on by the courts. This can of course be a bureaucratic, time consuming and expensive process.

By making a will in Turkey you are over-riding the automatic rules and ensuring that the person/s you want to gift your property to can claim it and avoid other parties from inheriting.

I have writen on this subject before. Basically there are 2 types of will the hand writen or the formal both are valid but to make sure it is an easy transition for the benifactors. Have it registered at the notery. This will then be registered with the government and your wishes will be respected. money and personal items can be covered by a UK will. Property is more complicated and unless you get it registered it can be taken as property of the state.

Rainman, You are so right to say that most foreign property owners are not aware of the fact that they need to have a will which is prepared according to Turkish laws. The foreign wills are not valid in Turkey if the will is related with a property in Turkiye. Because according to Turkish law, the property is related with Turkish laws. I advise the owners to do that in formal way which should be done in notaries.

• 5 months later...
Guest Agamemnon

This is something I need to know about, I have property and the thought that it may be divided up or passed onto those who don't deserve it bothers me.

So how does one go about getting a will which is acceptable in Turkey? Is it just a simple case of writing down your preferences on a sheet of A4 and then getting it stamped by a notary? I really can't believe it is that simple, nothing is simple over here even just paying a utility bill or paying a parking or speeding ticket, there is always a pantomime. So come on, give us all the stuff you have to do from A TO Z, don't leave out the slightest detail otherwise as you know we have to go all the one back to square one and start the whole thing all over again!

I don't think you can expect professionals to give you all the information for nothing.

Rainman is an expert in helping people to write wills and you should perhaps consult him.

• 4 years later...

For any foreign will, you should firstly get it translated and notary approved, then appoint a lawyer to present to the court, then comes the waiting time for the judge to accept or reject the will but most likely it will be rejected as it is not prepared as per the Turkish Inheritance law. If you have a property in Turkey to make life easier get a Turkish Will done. This will make life much more easier for your inheritors.

Rainman my husband and I don't have any wills made. We both aquired Turkish citizenship including our child, so we are all dual citizens. If we pass away is there a default law that our children will automatically inherit everything as next of kin? How does this work if they are under 18 years old if something tragic did happen?

I ask this because, my mother died when I was 12 and she left a house for me in her will. My brother was listed as Executor of everything since he was the oldest. He sold everything before I was 15 so I didn't inherit anything.