Parsnips

Rate this topic

Fil

Does anyone have an explanation for why parsnips are not in the markets and are not part of Turkish cuisine?

The climate is surely suitable, especially in Thrace. They had them in Hungary.

But why not here? This is a mystery we have often exercised our minds on and never found an answer. Any ideas?

..i asked this question around a month ago on another forum..as this is my favourite veg..someone says they sell them in bodrum..also you can grow them from seed .but instead of putting them in a propogator , ..apparantly yo start the seed of in the fridge.. :mellow:

I've tried growing parsnips and swede but I had no luck at all. Maybe they don't like lime soil. :mellow:

they don,t like it to hot Sunny, to start of with if you try them in the shade..also in a grow bag.. ;)

Maybe we'll get ourselves an allotment some time. I should imagine the winter weather would be suitable down here. If they can grow carrots OK I expect the soil will be ok for parsnips too. Grow your own would be fun but it wouldn't produce enough to quieten the Sunday lunch craving that comes over us.

My wildest fantasies (well maybe not absolutely my wildest) involve persuading someone from the faculty of agriculture that parsnips could be the next novelty veg in Turkey, just right for the Istanbul elite. They are always searching for new lines, especially exportable ones, like the flower trade, which is doing well, I have a friend who sends a couple of truck loads of flowers off to Hull every month.

Good idea Fil. Swede as well as the parsnips.

Carrots and swede mashed with a bit of butter and black pepper, ,along with roast parsnips, mmmm yummy!

Does anyone have an explanation for why parsnips are not in the markets and are not part of Turkish cuisine?

The climate is surely suitable, especially in Thrace. They had them in Hungary.

But why not here? This is a mystery we have often exercised our minds on and never found an answer. Any ideas?

I was given some turnip juice with my Raki at my local turkish restaurant recently.

God it was awful!