Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

Electrical Generator

Rate this topic

I'm having power cuts of at least an hour almost nightly. The worst thing is that they are unpredictable and suddenly I'm plunged into darkness and inconvenience.My question to you DIY experts is this: is it possible to buy a small generator just to serve one apartment or is that impossible? As some of you may know, I live in the entertainment district of Istanbul and as it is old and historical, so are its power arrangements. This place was never intended to be non-residential and these wretched discos and bars no doubt contribute to these power cuts but all have their own generators while we residents are left literally in the dark.If it is possible - what is the Turkish for electrical generator?

I was wondering the same thing. For the last couple of years, every time we have power cuts (and during storms), hubby spits the dummy & swears we'll get a small generator. But we've never gotten around to it. I was thinking by the time we got it started up the power would come on again, but if Saffron says you can just pull a rope, then that's OK. Saffron, did you ever notice much noise ? Of course it would only be temporary, but very handy if you were in the middle of something important. I too, was wondering about the fleas, Benh ! :D

Generators are a god send where i am - fortunately i had realised about all the powercuts before i moved here and i brought one with me from UK.Mine is a 6.5KW beast and will run the whole house no problem at all.For an apartment you wouldnt need one that big and they do sell small ones big enough to cover your needs.If possible get a diesel one, mine runs for 11 hours on one tank. You really need to work out what you need to run from it before you buy ie fridge, freezer, cooker, computers, lights, heating etc? or do you just need something small for lights?The small ones are not too noisey if put on a veranda or patio - just run a cable indoors on an extension and plug in what you need - or you can do what i did and installed a socket on the inside on all three floors of my villa.I have a switch i bought that should fit between the mains and the generator so i can link it in to the mains but apparently the Turks dont like this so that was 200 quid down the drain.You can also get them in different voltages too ie 240 volts or 120volts mine is dual and also has a 12v charger on it for batteries too.Thing to remember is - 240 volts is standard but you dont get many amps for that you may get only 18-20 mine is fine as its so big but if you wanted to run a cooker a kettle and a heater at the same time then there would not be enough amps to cover it so the 'genny' would switch off. I have 18amps on 2 connections at 120 volts on mine or 18 amps on one 240 volt connection.The small ones are fairly cheap here too and most of the industrial estates have them and will service them too, another thing to remember with 'gennys' too - is they eat engine oil big time so need checking before use or weekly. Always good to give them a once a week run too just to keep the internal starter battery charged up too.Sorry - mines an electric start jobby not a rope pull one.

Yes, I knew Scream would come up with the goods - and in such great detail too:)Thanks everyone for your input on this one. My conclusion is that is's unrealistic for my apartment only. Firstly, I have no balcony or outside place it could stand and secondly the place is 150 years old and is jeek by jowl to a lot of other old apartments. I think that the generator solution is really only appropriate for people who have villas and not old city apartments and who have more room and a balcony which I do not have. There is the possibility I suppose of getting one to service the whole building and stick it on the roof where the satellite dishes are but firstly I would have to ask the other owners and get their consent (according to the local bye-laws) and as they are constantly AWOL or reluctant, that's unlikely - plus again I'm paying out for them without their contribution although to be honest, if it was realistic and reasonably priced I'd do it because the amount of power cuts we get here are notorious. I know power cuts are part of Turkish living but almost every evening is a bit too many I'll think you'd all agree. And as Abi says, it's always when you're doing something important. I am always worrying my puter's hard drive will be destroyed if it is booting up or down since this once happened in Germany when the power went (not through power cut). And I can't even have a shower as the kombi is electrically controlled.Yesterday I bought several torches, some of them wind-up, because we are earthquake risk in Istanbul and because I need to have them available once the light goes off. PS: Sorry to report that the fleas are still here. They are just very occasional because the autumn weather is here and they love the summer humidity which has now gone. I have had 3 fumigations and done 4 of my own. I couldn't find Bolfo as Sunny recommended but there is a very good garden shop here which sells many pesticides and I bought a strong insect poison powder plus a fleas power and plus table salt which is a deadly combo. This reduces the numbers but I firmly believe that with ancient wooden floorboards with big spaces between you'll never completely eradicate the eggs. They love the smell of food and I saw a huge one hopping near my omelette yesterday:( Important thing is I haven't been bitten lately. I bought a kind of flea bomb which you open the tin and then leave the house for 4 hours. I'm going to leave that all until next season now.The only cure here is to gut the house and tear up the old boards and lay down a modern floor with no spaces for the blighters to hide and breed. That isn't practical or affordable as I've spent enough here. These old houses are cute but impractical really:( The floor is also hell to clean with all the spaces so I don't do it as often as I should. I have to have it done by a cleaner very occasionally. She makes a bit of a mess and is cheeky (takes foodstuffs I brought from the UK) but she does a grand job.