Sign in to follow this  
Meral

Turkish Names For Plants & Herbs

Rate this topic

Hi Saffron ! The dictionary says kekik means thyme, but Tansaş sells kekik suyu, which is translated on the bottle as oregano water. To my knowledge, oregano is an entirely different herb. Whenever I ask Turkish people, they say there are many kinds of "kekik", as this is a general term for a variety of different herbs. I have collected wild thyme from the hillsides around here & it is exactly the thyme I was familiar with.And secondly, the word mersin means myrtle (according to dictionary), and the pazar has started to sell dried yabani mersin. They resemble dried raisins, but are red and very sweet (I bought some). Could these be cranberries ? Cranberry isn't in my dictionary, and I've never tasted it but heard it's very sour. Also, the word enir was the solution to the clue yabani mersin in a Turkish crossword (and of course it doesn't appear in the dictionary) . So now I'm really confused ! Can you help to sort this out ?

Well don't know about the Myrtle yet but here are the types of Kekik which is both Thyme and OreganoAdi kekik -> Thymus vulgaris.Akdeniz kekiği -> Thymian pulegioides.Alanya kekigi -> Origanum majorana. Başak kekik -> Thymus capitatus.Beyaz kekik -> Origanum majorana.Bilyali kekik -> Origanum onites.Dağ kekiği -> Thymus vulgaris.Eğe Kekiği -> Thymus capitatus.Hakiki kekik -> Thymus vulgaris.Isrial kekiği -> Origanum syriacum.Izmir kekiği -> Origanum onites.Izmir kekiği -> Origanum vulgare.Kara kekik -> Satureja thymbra.Kekik -> Thymus vulgaris.Kekik lila -> Thymus capitatus. Kıbrıs beyaz kekiği -> Origanum syriacum Lila kekik -> Thymus capitatus. Suriye kekiği -> Origanum syriacum T

Thank you Screamlead -- that was VERY helpful ! Now I know cranberries do grow in Turkey ! And kekik certainly does seem to cover a number of herbs loosely, but generally does mean thyme. I guess enir must be a local or colloquial name for cranberries (?).Thanks to you too

very useful info guys thanks......also im confused about radish here....is it possible they are bigger than ones ive seen in UK? im used to smaller pinkier ones but i was given a bag full from a neighbour that are bigger like apples and as much white as pink....and havent seen any labels in local market to be able to tell them apart -i said are they turnips and they said no.not that id know them apart.dere ott ...not sure on spelling - fennel confuse me too- we have 2 plants growing one has more taste kind of but i cant tell the difference really between them as they look the same.Do people use this often -if so how? salads? im not surewill look online myself and at the website mentioned above.....

I've pinned this topic so it doesn't get lost as I'm sure we'll want to refer to it from time to time.

UK radishes are about the size of a marble and can be very hot and bitter. Turkish radishes are best if they are about the size of a tennis or cricket ball and the taste can be quite mild and pleasant.Fennel leaves are often mistaken for, or even substituted by dill. In general the fennel roots are cooked and the leaves are used as a garnish. Fennel is also one of the main ingredients in absinthe and is widely used for medicinal purposes.

Hi Meral, I wrote about mersin, and kekik will follow..If they sell cranberry it would be a big surprise, because only since 2000's some attempts were made to cultivate it..The fruit you met, is it small, round, pink or red? has a bit sour taste? not juicy ? 'Alı

thanks kkw - interesting. i remember reading about paris heydays where absinth was the cause of many an illness and crazy lifestyle...where can you buy it!! only kidding am teetotal.... :D would also be interested to know who eats normal ott ...how is it spelt? my neighbour lets another neighbour pic hers for salad and i love it too but many think its a weed.

Hi Saffron,The fruit I bought was dried, a red-wine colour, and very sweet and pleasant to eat (that's why I wasn't sure if it was cranberry, because I had never tasted cranberry before but heard it should be tart). To make sure it's really cranberry, I guess we need to find someone from the USA or Canada, who is familiar with the taste of cranberry ?Lucid, I was always bemused by those oversized radishes, and in fact I've even seen black ones (or are they something else?) And I was surprised to learn from the village women how many of the ordinary weeds in our garden are actually edible ! Wild radika, wild leeks, wild lettuce and wild pazı (silver beet to me, chard to the British), besides many others -- all of which I thought were common weeds !I love dere otu (dill), which is mild, but don't like arap sa

As they say Lucid, absinthe makes the heart grow fonder. I think.And isn't ot usually applied to cattle fodder??? But in saying this I'm not trying to answer the question who eats it.Pass the Pernod jozs.

The only wine-red dried fruit coming to my mind is plum..In Turkey the plum varities are green, yellow, red -wine-red- and purple..Plum is 'erik'. Dried plum is erik kurusu (kuru:dry)Purple coloured fig is available in dried form now, but I guess you wouldn't confuse it with something else..By the way, fig is incir. Dried fig is kuru incir.Just another thing came to my mind, but I dont think its appearance would be confused with cranberry. Anyway, date, when dried, has a reddish brown, and transparent colour. Indeed very sweet it becomes, when dried. If it has a long kernel inside, it must be dried date. Date is called 'hurma'I found a good pic of dried hurma is it this fruit?http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...800px-Hurma.JPG

Maybe the fruit you tried were currants Meral. They sell them in little packets here not in the pound packs like in the UK and they are smaller too.You lot can keep all you bits of green stuff thanks, I'll stick to rokka and maydonuz. Those are my limits when it comes to green stuff to be eaten raw. Well perhaps broccoli is OK too. :D

Currents in the UK are bigger, about the size of a pea, saffron and are used in cakes.

Meral I have tasted fresh cranberries and you are right they are very sour and I won't be doing it again :D

Abi, you have confirmed a doubt in my mind ! I am no longer convinced that the yaban mersini I bought from the pazar are truly cranberries.I googled it & found that yaban mersini can refer generally to other species as well, even to blueberries ! So that means I still can't exactly identify the sweet ones I bought. ..... but they are so delicious, I'll buy some more next time ! Saffron, I was quite amused, when googling "enir", to find this definition : Kare bulmacalarda "bir t

Its called - Dried jujube - on English although i have never heard of it. Looks interesting though too.Have a look here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JujubeAt first it looked like coffee beans - lolPS anyone got one in their garden - i would love a few seeds !!