Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

Changing Power Cables To House - Is It Possible?

Rate this topic

Now the autumn season is here I'm getting almost daily (and nightly) power cuts. Apart from all the inconvenience that brings I see that the other side of the old building I live in, is always power-cut free and so are the adjoining buildings. Apparently, my side has the 'old' cable which also services the stair lights which also go off when I have a cut. My question is - do I have to put up with this all the time or is it possible to ask Turkish Electricity to put my house on the 'good' cable? I appreciate I'd probably have to pay for it but this season the cuts are starting earlier and are much more frequent. Apart from the nuisance of no light etc, if the cuts go on for long stuff in the fridge will spoil etc etc.

Well I'd say go for it, they can only say yes or no can't they?Welcome back :rolleyes: .

Maybe you could get together with the rest of the residents in your apartment block it may work out cheaper. I know some blocks of apartments also have generators but not sure how all that works.

We had a similar problem a while back so i rang the electric board - Tedas - to see if they would come and sort it out.Not a chance - i had to get a private electrician to do the work. It was the connection from the roadside concrete pylon causing the problem as it didnt have the correct connectors on it - the wires were just twisted round the main cable with a pair of pliers. So even if no rain we were having powercuts galore even with a mild wind blowing it would wipe out the connection for ages until it blew again and reconnected.I think its the same if you want to swap from the old style meter to the new one - the Tedas want all the documentation and the money for it - 360tl - ish but wont actually come out and swap them, and the new meter only costs about 40tl too!!!!

Thanks for your replies everyone:)Abi - there's no use me trying to ask the other residents in this block to cooperate. Our heavy old front door kept sticking and I had to have it urgently repaired (a new door spring at the top) to stop us all getting trapped in the building:) I paid for it and so far despite people saying how good it is that i got it done, haven't seen a brass kurus off any of the other residents. They are all rich Turks with their pockets sewn up but if anything is urgent I get it done, pay for it and don't expect the others to contribute even if it benefits them.No use trying to get anyone from Turkish Electricity to help either. I have tried and with my limited Turkish and their apathy it was clear nothing was going to happen.So I've done the same as Screamlead did and am getting an electrician who did two other jobs well for me here to come around and see if anything can be done. It's possible that it can't but I'm tired of paying everything in this building and walking around in the dark while the lazy and mean so and so's in the other half never have power cuts.

benh, it's very noble of you to do these things, but isn't it setting a certain precedent ? I feel the other residents (the rich Turks with closed pockets) are taking advantage of you, knowing that if something really pisses you off, you will pay to fix it, so they just let you ! You won't get them to spend a red cent unless you can make the problem worse for THEM. Unfortunately, I have no solution to this problem, and I have a feeling it won't be your last ! Is there no residents' committee, with meetings to discuss what's to be done ? :D

Meral, you are right of course. But I rang the previous owner and she said she had the same experience and just coughed up if something was important enough.The door to this ancient building weighs a ton (I think literally) - it is very big and made of iron and twice it wouldn't open so I paid the local electrician/handyman to fix it. After that it stuck again and I forked out for a new door spring on the top which is super as the door no longer slams so loud you can hear it through the whole building and it closes slowly. A ton door slamming on you can also be very dangerous of course.Not only are people tight fisted in this building but 3 of the 6 apartments are used as ateliers (workshops) by artists and craftsmen. This means they do not actually live here but visit it from time to time so are extremely hard to get hold of. Nonetheless, the lady downstairs says she has their phone numbers so when her husband is back from her travels I am pressing her for a building meeting so we can sort all this out. She also paid for the rat hole in the basement to be cemented over and for the filthy cobweby entrance to be cleaned. The wall along the staircase has pock marks in the plaster like bullet holes and needs filling and painting throughout. The whole building's common parts are neglected but I refuse to pay for cosmetic work like painting as I know it will be like getting blood out of a stone to get the others to pay.I had to have the door done urgently. I asked the two students who live above me in 2 apartments to pay and they both said they didn't have any money. We are talking about a 30 TL contribution here so I didn't believe them. I can't just leave urgent repairs until we get trapped in the building or someone (me?) gets injured, vexing though it is, I just have to go ahead and get the work done.This is an old building and my apartment was cheaply renovated 10 years ago so there is always something that needs to be done here.