Taking Laptops Into Turkey.

Rate this topic

Is tax payable if I travel to turkey with a laptop computer or only if I have more than one?

Some of my family in turkey have asked if I can bring them laptops from the UK, I suspect that we can only bring in one each without getting hit by import duties.

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Yellowcatt just remember that the keyboards are slightly different on Turkish laptops and depending where you are in Turkey you may have difficulty in getting Windows in English.

I, for some reason, have ended up with my menus sometimes half coming up in Turkish and I have enough difficulty with an English menu. :)

Yellowcatt just remember that the keyboards are slightly different on Turkish laptops and depending where you are in Turkey you may have difficulty in getting Windows in English.

I, for some reason, have ended up with my menus sometimes half coming up in Turkish and I have enough difficulty with an English menu. :lol:

Hi Sunny We were thinking of buying a laptop when we got to Turkey, and although I was aware of the keyboard being different I didn't know not having an English laptop would interfere with me getting access to English windows....

With this info..... if we buy the laptop here in UK does this mean I wont have problems accessing English windows..

I may well be taking this slightly off tangent..... however, I have to say that I find it quite frustrating when we're asked to take things to Turkey for family. Not that I resent buying things for them - I just wonder where this perception comes from that we're in a better position to buy certain items.

As you've already said, most of the items would be cheaper in Turkey anyway, and more suitable. It would be a far more honest transaction for the person to lead us to a shop and say 'right, get your wallet out'.

I may well be taking this slightly off tangent..... however, I have to say that I find it quite frustrating when we're asked to take things to Turkey for family. Not that I resent buying things for them - I just wonder where this perception comes from that we're in a better position to buy certain items.

As you've already said, most of the items would be cheaper in Turkey anyway, and more suitable. It would be a far more honest transaction for the person to lead us to a shop and say 'right, get your wallet out'.

You only find it frustrating Sirin....... I could quote a lot harsher words than that to how I find it when Turks ask you to buy them things or bring them or send them money.... ...

Having said that we don't experience the wants from Hubby's family, but have had it from people we have never even met...

my Hubby plays one of the interactive games in facebook and has become friendly with some of the other players from Turkey, even chatting with a couple of them through MSN.... one of them is a 29yr old Policeman (plain clothes type) he did show his badge over msn so I assume he wasn't lying, a few conversations later with Hubby and him inviting us to his Home to go out with him for the New Yr in Istanbul, hubby considered him a 'very nice man, his friend'............

suddenly Hubby stopped all communication even not playing the game with him... when I asked what had happened my Hubby said the friend asked him to lend him

I have spent thousands on gifts for my Turkish friends. They always have something they need and because they have helped me here, I never ask for the money back and tell them that they are gifts.

It was exactly the same in Russia but in those days it was hard to get anything there.

I personally think Acers are poor quality and when I have to upgrade this cronky old thing which is on its last legs, will do it next year at home and buy a Toshiba.

The Acer Aspire 7735Z scored 70% in the Which Magazine test and is one of their best buys. In the UK the price is around

Yes, Sunny, you can definitely carry on laptops. I take mine back and forth so I can speak from recent experience:) I'd never dare to bring a mobile phone from the UK in case I couldn't get it unlocked here. They're always changing their regulations so you can never be sure and I heard of phones being unlocked and then blocked later on!

The law says that you can bring one mobile phone a year into Turkey. You have to take it along to one of the sevice provider dealers and register it. You need your passport and the last date of entry photocopied.

The law says that you can bring one mobile phone a year into Turkey. You have to take it along to one of the service provider dealers and register it. You need your passport and the last date of entry photocopied.

Yes that's true, and the passport doesn't even have to be yours, apparently any one's passport will do as long as it shows entry into Turkey within 3 weeks I think it was...

When we were over in Bodrum in June our friend who came from Holland had travelled using her International ID Card, and although she had an entry stamp on a piece of paper, they phone shop wouldn't accept her ID they insisted it had to be a passport......... so they happily were going to accept mine...

• 1 year later...

I use multiple computers for my business, and have traveled with a laptop in my checked baggage, and another laptop in my carry-on, and haven't had any problems.

I am a computer virgin! I have just bought a laptop and although I have broadband connection with phone supplier in UK how can I get e mail and internet connection on my laptop when I visit Turkey next month for a few weeks? Many thanks

If you have just bought a new laptop chances are it has a WiFi card installed and you will be able to use free internet in a lot of cafes, bars and tea gardens depending on where you are staying. Just ask for the password (şifre) of the establishment and enter it when your computer finds the wireless modem.

Just in case anyone is looking at the phone info. Now you are only allowed to bring in and register one phone every TWO years.

I am a computer virgin! I have just bought a laptop and although I have broadband connection with phone supplier in UK how can I get e mail and internet connection on my laptop when I visit Turkey next month for a few weeks? Many thanks

Many hotels, bars and caf

The law says that you can bring one mobile phone a year into Turkey. You have to take it along to one of the service provider dealers and register it. You need your passport and the last date of entry photocopied.

I was talking about this to a Turkish friend, he said that brining in more phones and getting them registered is not a problem 'if you know the right people'.