Social Activities

Rate this topic

selcuk

cesme seems so boring place, more than 6 week I settled to cesme but there is nothing to do, no opera no theater no concerts, shortly there is nothing! only i am runnig at the seaside reading books, thats all. I have some friends but even also they dont know playing scramble, tabu, jenga etc. what do you do in your spare time???

For a start you will have to teach your friends to play those games or rummycup which you can play with an Okey set - if you don't know the rules google it. It's a good game, much more interesting that Okey. My friends and I play that a lot. We also go for walks, play table tennis or bowls at the sports salon not far from your office and go to the weekly Monday quiz night at the No Problem besides reading, visiting friends and spending time online on forums or reading on-line newspapers.

Yes, sunny, has said it all really. In fact, many of us look forward to the end of the season when the weather is cooler and we can enjoy the occasional walk. In the past week, for example, we have been on a couple of lovely afternoon walks with sunny and another friend, played Rummikub (and Triominoes"!) and in the next week or so we shall be resuming our visits to the sports centre for our regular table tennis (or indoor bowls) sessions.

We never feel bored or have much time when we can say we have nothing to do, but when friends or family ask us how we occupy our days, I have to admit it doesn't sound very exciting or time-consuming.

But we wouldn't have it any other way and value the small but close circle of friends we have who seem to enjoy a similar sort of life style.

As Abi and sunny have suggested, give the Quiz Night a go at No Problem Bar on Monday evenings.

If you know anything about films, UK football, and music you can come and be in my team.

Questions like, Which was Roger Moore's first James Bond film?

What was Michael Jackson's chimp called? In the Star Wars film which 2 actors played Obi Wan Kenobi? Which band has released albums titled -Word Gets Around,Just Enough Education To Perform and Pull the Pin?

Guest Agamemnon

See Selcuk, you are just spoilt for choice. If you have transport you can always travel to Izmir where there are lots of cinemas, restaurants, theatres, and the occassional outdoor concert, plus there is a French culture centre and the fair where they have international shows, I think the car show is coming soon for example. I am sure there are others on thiis forum who have the odd shopping trip to Izmir as well!

Yes I do have the odd shopping trip to Izmir but I usually incorporate it into dropping or picking someone up from the airport.

Unfortunately I don't think the quiz night will be going on much longer as it will be getting too cool to sit outside and the bar isn't big enough for all to get inside comfortably. :)

Guest Agamemnon

Ah yes, the cooler months, so as you can see when the q nights stop your choices in Cesme are somewhat limited I'm afraid Selcuk. Good luck with trying to fill in those empty days and even emptier nights! Are there any bars or private clubs that are worth using on a regular basis in Cesme at this time of the year?

That I can't tell you as I have no need of them and it wouldn't be my scene anyway. :rolleyes:I don't know why you have such a down on Cesme, I mean you bought a house in an even quieter place, and even your beloved Alacati isn't exactly busy now.

Thats very sad Selcuk, why don't you join Sunny for the quiz night on Monday's you may make some new friends who can play scrabble etc?

i am sorry i was too busy this week, i could not reply up to now. usually i am leaving office about 9 pm mondays and tuesday but i will try to join quiz night next weeks.

For a start you will have to teach your friends to play those games or rummycup which you can play with an Okey set - if you don't know the rules google it. It's a good game, much more interesting that Okey. My friends and I play that a lot. We also go for walks, play table tennis or bowls at the sports salon not far from your office and go to the weekly Monday quiz night at the No Problem besides reading, visiting friends and spending time online on forums or reading on-line newspapers.

yes i dont know rummycup but i will seek it from google... if it is similar to okey, i am sure i will like it...

See Selcuk, you are just spoilt for choice. If you have transport you can always travel to Izmir where there are lots of cinemas, restaurants, theatres, and the occassional outdoor concert, plus there is a French culture centre and the fair where they have international shows, I think the car show is coming soon for example. I am sure there are others on thiis forum who have the odd shopping trip to Izmir as well!

yes i have my vechicle but petrol is unbelievable expensive, i am really shocked about the price, in fact i am from alsancak and my family lives there and i am planing to go french culture for learing french but petrol cost is realy big problem i dont know what i am going to do. weekend trip 80 tl for only petrol cost. i am really suprised about petrol prices in TR i just come back from dubai, difficult to believe prices was only half lira per liter :mellow: 7 times cheaper than TR.

Ah yes, the cooler months, so as you can see when the q nights stop your choices in Cesme are somewhat limited I'm afraid Selcuk. Good luck with trying to fill in those empty days and even emptier nights! Are there any bars or private clubs that are worth using on a regular basis in Cesme at this time of the year?

agamemnon cesme is a small costal town for rich turk citizens from istanbul and izmir, season is only 1-2 month. here so many good quality beach clubs bars etc but after september most of them closed.

I think that next Monday is going to be the last quiz night for the year (weather permitting) and I will be setting the questions for it so I will put in a few Turkish questions especially for you Selcuk so I hope you will be able to make it. :mellow:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Agamemnon

Is it possible to hold car boots sales here? I have a bundle of stuff I don't use any more that someone else may have use of. Does anyone have any experience of putting such a thing together? I understand this type of social activity is unheard of in Turkey

Yes, it's almost unheard of here, although I'm sure I've read about it in places like Fethiye or Didm where it's driven & patronized mainly by the expat community. There also seem to be no such thing as charity shops for donating unwanted but still usable items.

I give my unwanted stuff to a family in the village (who live in a gecekondu) .... the old lady has 10 children, countless grandchildren, and even a few great grandchildren, and they always grateful & manage to distribute everything. I'm just glad the stuff is of some use & isn't wasted.

I think the IWAI (International Women's Association Izmir) run fundraisers that include 2nd-hand goods.

Good luck ! :)

I've not heard of any car boot sales in the Cesme area but they certainly have them in the Fethiye and Bodrum areas.

Perhaps you'd like to organise one Aggie, but wait till about Easter when people have come back from their winter break in the UK?