Importing A 1997 Mercedes Benz S Class (s320) To Turkey

Rate this topic

Hi, I want to keep this as short as possible, for the sake of the readers :)I am well aware that you are not allowed to bring a vehicle into the country that is older then 3 years from now. But I read many other ways that its possible, I thought of the 6 month idea, but that means I will need to take it out once every 6 months and leave it abroad for 6 months before I bring it back.

I heard something like, if I wanted to move to Turkey to do business, that it is tax-free and that I can stay as long as I like with the car. Or somthing like, if I wasn't a Turkish citizen, that owned a British passport in Turkey to do business that again I can stay as long as I like. True or false?

The story behind me wanting to bring this over there is that it is a family owned car from new, and it has some what sentimental value to us. It is a LHD, we imported from Germany back in 1997.

Any thoughts?

Regards,Godbrother.

You can try contacting this company who deal with all sorts of blue plate cars, but from what I've heard it's better to take some photos of your Mercedes to remember it by and buy a new car over here.

Hi Godbrother.

You will have no end of problems with an imported car.

Here are some of them and I have one so I do know.

You can only sell it to another foreigner with a Residents Permit and living in Turkey.

You can bring in the car for 6 months and then take it out for 6 months, then you can bring it back for another 6 months after that you cannot bring it back in again.

You can import the car without paying Tax or KDV. but you must leave a sum of money Frozen in your Bank Account ( you do get the interest though ) Turing will tell you how much. I have a Land Rover Freelander 40,000TL frozen.

If you follow this route then every time you leave the country without it you must leave it at your Nearest Port of Entry and pay 8 TL per day for the pleasure of doing so.

You will also have to insure it at your original Port of Entry and if this expires before you get the documents to import it then you must go back to your original Port of Entry to re insure .

I have an ongoing problem when I wish to leave the country as Passport Police do not normally know the procedure so I am delayed for around 30 / 60 minutes whilst they check it out.

Next, if you do leave the country on a regualar basis then your Passport will soon be filled with stamps from Customs where you have to leave your car.

All in all, Don't Bother ! Buy one here bit more expensive but no hassle.

Ian

So wait, let me get this straight... If I Import the car and actually register it as a Turkish vehicle... That all this will happen? ^^ Even though it has become an ordinary car.

And when you mean they freeze your money, does that apply if I Import and register the car as a Turkish vehicle? So for example, they freeze 40,000YTL, that money is still actually mine - Just won't be able to use it? Even though the X5 is registerd as a turkish road car?

I have no intention of selling the the X5 if I ever went there with it, I will keep it until it expires I guess (probably the 500,000km mark :() So selling it won't be a problem for me.

I believe you are only allowed to import cars from the country for which you have a passport ie the UK for you, you must have owned it for 6 months or more and the age limit for the car is 3 years if you wish to change them to normal Turkish plates and of course for that you'll have to pay the tax.

Look at this theme where Bey Altinay has posted http://www.turkeycentral.com/index.php?showtopic=3815. Part 6 refers to Turks who are returning to Turkey.

I went through this years ago, and if the rules still apply, it's as RIK says. Basically you'll be "importing" a foreign vehicle to Turkey, and the Turkish government has set things up to discourage this practice as much as possible. Because the import duties were so high, and since I had free shipping from the US military, I simply sold it to my brother at a good price and used the shipping privilege to send it back to the USA, where my brother took possession. The alternative was to pay exorbitant import duties.

It sounds like this isn't deterring you! :( So if you actually go through this process and import your vehicle to Turkey, you'll be the only one I've ever heard of who's done it!

If you do import your vehicle here, it would be of great help if you would post something here about what is involved!

...... if I wanted to move to Turkey to do business, that it is tax-free and that I can stay as long as I like with the car......

If you are thinking of importing the car as one of the business assets of your company you might be subject to different rules. It would be worth asking the tax authorities here in Turkey.

Whatever you find out it would be really interesting and helpful if you'd tell us about it.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

Hi Sunny.

No you do not pay the Tax even when you change it to Turkish Plates.

Thats the idea behind freezing your Bank Account.

You CAN choose to pay the Tax which in my case is 40,000TL or not.

If you are naughty and sell it to a Turk then they will take your cash from your Bank Account.

I just put up with the grief and tell myself not to make the same mistake again.

Ian

RIK, this is what was posted by our resident expert T. Altinay

C A R / MOTOR CYCLE FOR TURKISH NATIONALS PART : 6

One car per family can be imported but is subject to substantial import duties/taxes.

Car must be registred on the name of importer since 6 months in the Origin Country before incoming to Turkey and must not be older than 3 years ( inclusive registration date and year of model ) and must be

used ( no brand new ). Please get in touch with in order to learn Import Tax by giving us the make, model (year) of car and cylinder capacity of engine . The owner has to get in touch with Turkish Embassy/Consulate to receive necessary info and documents before to ship the vehicle to Turkey.

RIK, this is what was posted by our resident expert T. Altinay

C A R / MOTOR CYCLE FOR TURKISH NATIONALS PART : 6

One car per family can be imported but is subject to substantial import duties/taxes.

Car must be registred on the name of importer since 6 months in the Origin Country before incoming to Turkey and must not be older than 3 years ( inclusive registration date and year of model ) and must be

used ( no brand new ). Please get in touch with in order to learn Import Tax by giving us the make, model (year) of car and cylinder capacity of engine . The owner has to get in touch with Turkish Embassy/Consulate to receive necessary info and documents before to ship the vehicle to Turkey.

Hi Sunny.

If the guy is a Turkish National then I guess that your expert is correct.

If you are not then you can get away without paying the Tax.

Mine is imported and no Tax paid.

Wouldn't like to go to court and argue the point though.

Ian