Possibility for reimbursement of hospitalization in Acibadem Hospital for a foreign nation

Rate this topic

Feryal

Hello,
I've just got my TC. I got sick and was hospitalized in Acibadem Hospital 5 days before my Kimlik card arrived which cost me almost 3000 Lira. I have a temporary residency for a year and a half and a foreign nation.
I'm wondering if it is possible to make a contract with any insurance company which covers these medical, inpatient/outpatient, and hospitalization costs for foreign nations. Moreover, is it possible to reimburse these costs after I make a contract with one?
I'd appreciate it if you could help me with this.

What do you mean by "TC?" Do you mean Turkish citizenship? Did you become a Turkish citizen?

Want us to do your Tukey residence permit application, get your tax number and health insurance, and make the payment of your residence permit fees for you? Then visit our other website, TurkeyPermit.com.

Normally the identification number they give to foreigners is called a yabancı kimlik numarası (foreigner identification number, or YKN).

"Kimlik" just means "identification," or "identity." However foreigners often use that word for citizenship, a citizenship card or residence or a residence permit card. I know... it's confusing!

So good... you have your residence permit. And to apply for a residence permit you must either buy a health insurance policy, or register with the government if your country has a bilateral agreement with Turkey for health care coverage.

Did you buy an insurance policy before your hospitalization?

Want us to do your Tukey residence permit application, get your tax number and health insurance, and make the payment of your residence permit fees for you? Then visit our other website, TurkeyPermit.com.

If you bought that policy before your hospitalization, you might be covered.

Let me explain first. If you bought one of the policies specifically designed for residence permit applications, they are all the same. You get it from one company or another, the coverage is the same, even if the price is different.

For all of these policies, coverage in the first year is limited. This is to filter out people with pre-existing conditions.

In the second year and years after, these policies go into full force.

Normally, if you are hospitalized with one of these policies, the hospital can check and see what you're covered for. They just need your foreigner identification number and the name of the company.

This exact thing happened to me. I was hospitalized. They asked me for my insurance company and got my identification information, and everything was covered.

However, who's to say they didn't charge you cash, when you were actually covered? To check on this, you need to read your policy, or talk to someone with the insurance company.

I'm not saying this happened, but for hospitals, it's a lot faster and easier to get cash than to bill the insurance company and wait for payment.

So read your policy to see if your medical procedure is covered, and talk to someone from the company about it to make sure.

My pleasure!

Feryal, may I ask what country you are a citizen of? I want to check to see if you can be covered by Turkey's national health insurance plan under an international agreement.

Also, would you please let us know if you find out if you are covered by your existing health insurance plan in Turkey? I think it would be of great help to me and many other foreigners here.

Of course!

I'm originally from Iran. It's been a couple of months that I'm in Turkey so based on what I have read in your webpage I need to have at least one year residency to be eligible for Turkey's national health insurance plan. Am I right?

Regarding my exciting health coverage, I have just sent emails to different departments of Turk Nippon Sigorta, thanks to you, explaining the incident. I would definitely let you know if I get any update about it.

I checked, but Iran doesn't have a bilateral agreement with Turkey for healthcare.

It wouldn't have helped you anyway, but some insurance companies sell the basic health insurance polices for residence permits to foreigners even when they know the foreigner could get much greater coverage, for free, under such agreements.

I need to have at least one year residency to be eligible for Turkey's national health insurance plan. Am I right?

Correct.

I personally went to my local office of the Sosyal Güvenlik Kurumu (Social Security Administration, or SGK) to see what I had to do to join. I had no intention of joining, since I'm covered by a worldwide insurance policy, but I wanted to see what was involved.

They just needed to see my Turkish residence permit, and in my case my previous residence permit (since the start date of my current residence permit was less than one year before) to determine if I had been living in Turkey for at least one year.

"That's it?" I asked. "That's it," they said.

All I would have to do is sign some papers and start paying the premiums.

I know that's a long answer to your question, but I wanted you to have some idea of how it will go for you.

And by the way, the premium is the same for everybody, and spouses and children are also covered. The premium is the same if you are single and if you have a wife and 20 children.

I am here to help you in any way I can.

Hi,

I've got an answer from Turk Nippon Sigorta Company.

They won't reimburse the money that I paid to the hospital and cover any kind of medical coverage either.

That contract with the insurance company is just a compulsory document for obtaining a short-time residency and doesn't include any other kind of services.

You can read your policy to see what it covers. It does cover things but the coverage is limited in the first year. Then it covers a lot more in the second year. I have had a medical procedure fully paid for by one of the residence permit policies. However after that they considered the condition a preexisting condition and wouldn't cover it any more.

Anyway read your policy to see what coverage you're entitled to to be sure.