Can't send letters to UK from Turkey

Rate this topic

I went to the post office in Kaş this afternoon to post a letter to UK, just an ordinary letter in an envelope. However the young lady behind the counter told me that they are not accepting letters going to UK, Germany and some other countries. I asked if letters from other countries will be delivered here (I have a post office box) and she didn't know. When asked why this is happening she didn't know, they had just been told not to accept the letters. Whether this is just Kaş or Turkey wide I don't know but if it continues Christmas cards from Turkey will be very late this (or next) year. :(

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

Hi Meral, I asked a few more questions today, no more real information but their guess is that it is pandemic related. Very frustrating to not be told why :bashhead:

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

Yes you're right it doesn't make sense. I also wondered if it could be related to the financial situation here but can't imagine how. I went again yesterday and tried to push for answers to other questions but got nowhere. There was a situation last December when a mail stoppage between quite a lot of countries, Turkey included, was related to the corona virus, the Guardian had an article about it. No doubt we'll find out in due course.

I discovered the reason for the restrictions in postal services. I sent an email to the Daily Sabah to see if they knew about it and could maybe investigate. I got a very nice email back and this is what it said:

Dear Chris

The PTT office in Kaş explained that mail to foreign countries are shipped through cargo flights and they might be subjected to restrictions due to COVID-19 pandemic. Restricted countries are announced on the notifications webpage placed under the corporate menu of PTT's website (in Turkish language). https://www.ptt.gov.tr/Sayfalar/Kurumsal/Guncel.aspx#ptt_duyurular

The most recent notification on the website is dated Nov. 11. However, the staff explained that a recent corporate notification issued on Nov. 24 (not uploaded on the website) restricts mail deliveries to large number of countries, including the U.K. and Germany, probably over restrictions affecting cargo flights.

As DS, we are inclined to probe further through the PTT general directorate in Ankara, and might prepare an article on mail & cargo deliveries in Turkey and COVID-19 restrictions.

Kind regards,

Sinan Öztürk
News Manager

It makes me wonder why the staff don't get to know the reasons.

Update, Monday 29 Nov.

Well there have been a lot of behind the scenes messages and phone calls going on in the last couple of days, the upshot of which is that an article will soon be published in Daily Sabah, probably both in print and online. I shouldn't pre-empt the publication but I will say I have been educated by the options available and ways round the restrictions and there should be normal service (pretty much) available for Christmas cards and presents, having said that for parcels to arrive on time you should be sending them very soon.

If you use the Turpex system at the post office it's 155 lira (today £9) for an ordinary letter in an envelope. :eek:

Here's the Daily Sabah article, posting Christmas cards might need a couple of visits to the post office.

https://www.dailysabah.com/life/holiday-card-alert-whats-up-with-the-post-in-turkey/news