Can I get a doggy bag to-go please

Rate this topic

Howdy,

Read different cultures pros and cons in Google for asking to take home leftovers in restaurants.

In US/Hawaii, it is a given that leftover food is taken home in what is called the 'doggy' or 'doggie' bag. Restaurants provide the packaging.

In all the YT videos of meals in Turkish restaurants I've watched, I have not seen any reference to taking home leftovers.

All that yummy food and not taking home the leftovers?  Sacrilege I say.  Are you kidding? Leave a half-eaten pizza behind when you can take the rest and have it tomorrow morning for an awesome breakfast?

I understand cultures are different. Just wondering about Turkey. And yes, "I" will ask for the doggy back take-home in Turkey restaurants.  I"m a big Foodie. I have no shame when it comes to wrapping a delicious meal not finished and taking it home.

Aloha,

Will

It's not a problem. Just ask for paket (pah-keht). They'll wrap it up for you to take with you. I also do this often, and every restaurant I've been to in Turkey offers the option.

Turkey also has a food delivery website that is excellent. It's at www.yemeksepeti.com. You set up your account with your address (it's also a good idea to provide some instructions, in Turkish, on how to get there). Once you're set up it's easy to order food to be delivered to your door. You'll have to be in Turkey to set up your account first, and also access it from Turkey so you can see what restaurants and food is available.

We often have a doggy bag, generally it actually goes to the doggies. We cannot see good food go to waste. at home meals are often made from left-overs, after that the doggies hoover it up. We all need to remember that the Earth is in water crisis, and all food has taken up water as it grows, wasting food is wasting water.

Yes, wasting food is a sacrilege. At home we never throw leftovers out.  I even save the peelings from fruit & veg to give away to neighbours for their chooks (read chickens).  Everything should be recycled.

And yes, anyone is entitled to take home whatever is uneaten at restaurants... after all, they have paid for it! :) 

Thanks Folks. I agree with the idea of not wasting resources; food, water and other resources of Nature. We are reaching the tipping point of either too many people on the planet and/or not enough resources for everybody who needs it.

Thank you Ken for the food delivery website. Checked it out. Surprised at how much US franchise foods are available. Didn't expect to see so many. I will try to stick to Turkish food to order online.  I want to try to benefit local businesses as much as I can.. Here in Hawaii we have a saying: Buy Local. But I understand the Franchisee maybe a Turkish person trying to run a small business to feed his/her family.

There are usually cats hanging around apartment complexes. Generations of them. Whenever I have some leftover meat I cut it up in small pieces so the cats can eat it easily. I signal them from my top-floor terrace, a loud "psss psss psss" to let them know I'm throwing something down for them. I'm amazed at how quickly they made the association between that sound and food falling from the sky. I always throw it in the same place so they always know where to find it.