M Plate Car Query

Rate this topic

Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

Owners of M plate cars.

Your registration document states that only the persons named as owners can drive the car: The law allowing family members to drive with a letter of authority was changed last year (2008) and no longer applies.

If you own a M plate car but it is only in one person's name and you both want to drive you will have to 'sell' half the car to your spouse/partner incuring the cost of noter's and translator's fees and re-registration of the car then you will have to pay to have the Trafic Sigorta upgraded to include the spouse/partner.

..confused about this one myself Sunny we bought our car in Izmir and i ask the showroom( who also insured it for me) ..at a cost of 750 lira a year .and when i said i wanted my partner on it for driving ,as the car was bought in my name ..i was happy to put the car in joint names to keep the insurance above board,they said it was ,nt nescessary ,as the owner can give permission for anyone to drive, but i have recently heard the exact opposite to what i was told..i do have a friend in the traffic polis in Kusadasi ..but keep forgeting to go in and querie this ..any advice would be helpful. :)

I am not sure how it goes, but they keep telling me that only the person who is on the insurance and registration can drive it. However, my vehicle pass that I had to get to go on and off Incirlik AB says that both my wife and I can drive my truck here. It seems very confusing....

I reckon this is going to turn into another one of those "it depends which policeman you ask" questions. I've just been down to Kas and while there popped into my favourite Trafik Takipci and he says as long as the surname is the same there's no problem and you don't need a letter of authority. A trafik policeman I asked said "no problem"... not really sure he understood the question! I'll ask at the Trafik Ofis next time I'm there, but this is Kas and things seem to be different here sometimes :)

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

..i know Sunny ..i am in the same boat as you.. :)

I don't know about the change, but we had a military member in Izmir who let his girlfriend drive his car. Her former boyfriend spotted her driving it, and reported it, and his car was impounded. The payment to get the car back was so high, he just donated it to customs instead! This was ten years ago, and I haven't heard of a case yet, but at least when this happened, it was rather clear that you could lose your car by allowing a Turk to drive it.

But what happens if you have a partner whose name isn't the same?

Dunno :beerchug[1]:

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

Sunny,As I understand it your post is correct.

The law was changed last year but as this is Turkey, the Insurance and (not all of ) the police are now aware of it.

They give you conflicting advice.

To digress slightly, for all the Yabanci's that are driving on there home country License for more than six months ( in the UK's case ) then in the event of an accident the insurance Co. want to see your Passport to check if your last entry stamp is longer than six months.

If it is then they will not pay out.

Both my and my wife's insurance state that the vehicle can be driven by ' immediate family ' what on earth does that really mean.

I hope that somebody can tell me.

..all very confusing

..a M plate car is for europeans , my car is an MA ..but they they have recently changed to MB :huh:

..a M plate car is for europeans , my car is an MA ..but they they have recently changed to MB :birgits_coffee[1]:

The 'M' stands for Misafir which means 'visitor' in Turkish. Depending which region it is registered it could be MA, MB, MC, MD or ME. We get visitors from all over Turkey here in Kas and I saw my first ME a couple of days ago, it was from Istanbul if my memory serves me correctly (no guarantee of that these days!)

I think actually that they are working through the alphabet so it won't be long before we see an MF plate.

as far as i know MA is for Aydin..but was told it recently changed to MB ..apparantley, every 1,000 registrations then it changes,a friend of mine recently bought a car and that was also registered in Aydin ,and that car is now an MB. mines was also registered in Aydin at an earlier date,and mines is an MA..

I suppose Izmir area has more cars registered or have been issuing plates for longer that's why they've got to ME. Perhaps Iztanbul or Ankara plates have gone past ME, anyone know?

There are one or two old 35 cars still running around with MA plates.

as far as i know MA is for Aydin..but was told it recently changed to MB ..apparantley, every 1,000 registrations then it changes,a friend of mine recently bought a car and that was also registered in Aydin ,and that car is now an MB. mines was also registered in Aydin at an earlier date,and mines is an MA..

Edit: Just read my previous post again and I realise it was as clear as mud. Sorry. The second letters start off at A for all areas, then they carry on alphabetically. My car registered in Antalya is MB but my scooter registered the following year also in Antalya is MA.

I think they might recycle numbers that have been de-registered too.