AirBnB Minimum 180-day Stay - Interferes with Permanent Residence Strategy?

Rate this topic

Howdy,

I've found a SuperHost apartment on the east end of Alanya that checks all my boxes and it has an awesome unobstructed panoramic sea view. But it has a 180-day minimum stay.

Is that going to gum-up my strategy for my wife and I as renters to getting the short term residency and finally the long-term residency?

The idea is not to have to leave the country and come back because our Visa expires and I do not have the prerequisite 1-year lease contract by the time my wife and I have our immigration appointment.  Maybe much ado about nothing but need to be sure.

Thank you much,

Will & Lana

Unfortunately, you can't use such a short-term rental for a residence permit application.

I called the immigration office about this a few months ago and they said you must have at least a one-year rental contract.

Secondly, shot-term rentals like Air B&B are actually illegal in Turkey, unless the property is a hotel or is being rented by a licensed agency which follows the same reporting requirements as a hotel. 

People still advertise properties in Turkey on Air B&B and similar sites, but if they're not a licensed agency, it's illegal. And they can't be used as an address for a residence permit application.

However, you can stay at a hotel while looking for a place to buy or rent, and apply for a one or two-year short-term residence permit while staying at the hotel. Then after you find a place to live, you can report your change of address.

If you haven't heard of it, try www.sahibinden.com. They list both rental properties and properties for sale. For Alanya, I'd recommend waiting until October or later, since right now there are a lot of people renting places there.

I like Alanya a lot. I just got back from staying two weeks there. It has the best beaches of any seaside town I've seen in Turkey, that is, of those seaside towns that aren't dead during the winter months.

There's a popular restaurant/bar you might check out in Alanya, called the "Viking." There's at least one other by the same name so make sure you go to the one in Oba. It's a a popular place with expats and a good place to get to know people and make friends. They have trivia nights during the winter, and karaoke (if you're into that) all year, and also musical performances. There's an excellent American guitarist who plays there on Sunday evenings--guitar, mandolin, trumpet, violin. I've been considering moving there myself from where I am now, in Antalya.

I don't know how much time you've had in Turkey so far, but if there's anything I can to to help you retire in Turkey feel free to post in the forums. I'll keep an eye out for your posts.

Thank you Ken.

Yes, I've been perusing www.sahibinden.com to get a feel for what my pension will afford me. Looking at 5,000 TL tops for rent.

I am in no immediate rush; just counting down my time to be eligible to start collecting my pension from my State job next July. Right now I am in my research phase; taking notes and bookmarking online pages for reference.  I was thinking as you said that a late fall move around next Sept/Oct. would be the best time to negotiate a 1-year rental.

I will need to make a quick local friend or two to help me with the translation/language barrier for dealing with folks on sahibinden.com. Thank you for the tip about the VIking in Oba. Will certainly follow-up on meeting other expats.

From what I've learned about Alanya from articles and YT videos is the fact it is much smaller and has more of a local Turkish vibe than Antalya. I have lived in Honolulu for over 30 years so I am used to a touristy city but will probably find a place to live in the eastern part of Alanya just off the beaten path. Looked at Gazipasa to the east but it is an agricultural community and way too quiet for me. And east of there seems to be more of the same agricultural/farming communities until Mersin. Mersin seems too big an industrial/commercial area for my liking. Mind you- this is all just me doing research and getting my info online. But the overall consensus is that Turkey and Alanya is a great place to visit as well as to put down roots.

And Hawaii is very multicultural, including the locals, so I can deal with multicultural environments; and my wife is from Ukraine and speaks fluent Russian, Ukrainian and English. My first plan for retirement years ago was to live in Ukraine but since then Russia occupies Crimea and part of Ukraine proper, I don't feel it is safe.  My wife's city is Kherson, only 60 miles from Crimea. And at that time I didn't know anything about Turkey and now that I do I can picture it as the best retirement option. So my wife Lana and I have talked it over and Alanya is going to be our new home. Retirement from my State job can't come soon enough.

Thank you for all your contributions to Turkey Central Ken. It is truly a gold-mine of knowledge about Turkey.

Aloha,

Will & Lana 

Have a look at the article about translating Turkish web pages with the Google Chrome browser and the Google Translate extension. Using that you can view the property pages in English.

When I was looking for property in Alanya using Sahibinden.com, I used the drop-down list for the names of the districts in Alanya and made a list of them. Then I went to Google Maps, and one-by-one learned where these districts are. Then I deleted those districts from my list that were areas where I didn't want to live. That way I could refine my search for properties in areas I liked.

I also clicked on a few markers for various local businesses near a property I was viewing to see the info and address in the left sidebar of Google maps. From that I could see what district the property was in and make sure it was on my list.

One note though. You'll see a district called "Oba." In Google maps it shows it as being Northeast, away from the main part of Alanya. Technically, that is Oba. But there's another Oba that isn't among the addresses. That's the Oba where you'll find the Viking Restaurant. It used to be a lake called Oba Gölü (Oba Lake). But people in Alanya also call that area "Oba" or Oba Gölü."

There is a large Russian community in Alanya, mostly based in Mahmutlar, with a lot of apartments and a beach. So your wife will be able to meet other Russians as well.

You're right about the areas East of Alanya. There isn't much there, except for Anamur, which has a nice beach but the town is quite small. I've been to Mersin a few times and I don't think I would want to live there. It's a big city with a port but other than that, I don't think there's much to say about it.

Thanks to you for your posts here. It makes the information in our community richer, and thousands of people read these topics even after they're no longer active.

Super strategy on using Google to find the neighborhoods I would be interested in living.

I did just that search and found 'neighborhoods' and townships east of Alanya.  Funny think is; what Sahbinden calls neighborhoods the Google maps calls a town or village. Anyways, good finds: Kestel, Demirtas, Tosmur, Mahmutler. 

Maybe you can clear-up a little quirk with Sahbinden. In Real Estate/Housing/For Rent are subcategories for Apartment, Residence, Detached House, Villa, etc.  So what is a  "Residence" if not an apartment, detached house or villa? Just curious if you might know.

I tried finding the Viking Restaurant the way you said. Honestly, Google wasn't any help. Oba Gölü means nothing to Google maps. There was a Viking restaurant but it is close to the beach, not a lake. I'm sure I will find the expat hangout eventually.

Thank you much for your guidance Ken.

Aloha,

Will

A "residence" is a more luxurious apartment complex, often a gated community with security, a pool, recreation rooms and areas, etc.

You may also run across the word "site" (see-teh). A site is basically just a group of apartments where everyone pays a monthly fee for maintenance expenses and the upkeep of common areas in the complex. It can be a low-cost budget complex or a very luxurious complex. By that logic, all residences are sites but not all sites are residences.

So the word "residence" refers to a site which has lots of amenities and is more like a residential community.

For the Oba Viking restaurant, take a look at the above map again. There should be a map marker in the center showing where the Oba Viking is. Are you able to see that?