Jump to content

Where to turn?


Recommended Posts

I hope I can get advice on this as it is making me ill. 

After living in Turkey for many years and being married for 8 of those I left Turkey after threats of death. I left behind my assets and came home penniless and traumatized.

My husband was Turkish and although I blocked him on all media he found me and sent threatening mail for years. Sometimes wanting me back and sometimes with threats to kill me. He had a drug and alcohol problem which I tried hard to help with throughout our marriage. He never worked and I worked sometimes 18 hour days to build up our life. 

I tried to move on with my life , but it has been hard psychologically. I contacted the registry office here for them to tell me there is no record of my marriage so I am free to marry here. I don't want to but I needed to know.

My husband is now bombarding me with threats that he needs to see me in court for a divorce and take everything I own. I have found out that he had many credit cards in my name and left debts everywhere. He told everyone I left with all of the money and now wants it back. I cant tell you how much he stole from me but it was my life savings, my house sale and daughters inheritance. I want to be free of him and maybe step back in to the country I loved and left without fear of some sort of retribution. 

I read that he can divorce me as I ''deserted '' him  without my input. Is this true? However I feel he wont do this as he appears to believe I will have even more money and he wants it. The truth is , I own nothing, I work hard for little money and rent. I want to be free of him. Please help me someone. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites


In order to establish a divorce case on the ground of "desertion", you have to be invited to get back home via notary public notification or a court order, otherwise it is deemed that the pre-conditions necessary for the case have not been met. 

I would recommend you to update your address by contacting the Turkish Consulate, as your (ex)-husband might try to do newspaper notification which you may not be aware of and he can succesfully proceed. It is good to register your new address by the Turkish government which helps you to make sure that any official paper is to be sent to your UK address first before any newspaper notification, so you would have the right to defense yourself. 

All the best,   

H. Ender KELEŞ | Founding Partner
Avukat / Attorney at Law, LL.M.
T : +90 532 179 1513  |  F : +90 232 486 10 17
E : [email protected]  |  www.eglegal.net
Manas Bulvarı No:74, Trend Office, K:1 D:3 Bayraklı/Izmir- Turkey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks for your reply. I didn't make myself clear enough and my post was somewhat emotional . For that I apologize. 

To clarify. I left Turkey 12 years ago. I cannot let him have my address or details due to threats, and I am reluctant to give them to any one in Turkey. There are no properties or money to fight over as he took everything and as far as I know has spent and lost everything . I would like someone to do the divorce on my behalf with him having no contact or knowledge of my whereabouts. 

I am not interested in what he stole form me, I just want to be free of him. 



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...