Private healthcare

Rate this topic

Are there any private healthcare policies in turkey that cover pre existing conditions for first time policy holders?

What is the rough cost of a good / comprehensive private healthcare cover?

In the UK, the policies (for UK cover only) I have seen generally range from £80 - £130 per month with £250 excess.

Will a UK based company that provides international healthcare (not travel insurance ofcourse) be sufficient to obtain a residency permit?

International cover ranges from £240 - £310 per month with £250 excess.

Thanks

Just to add to what Redders has already said...

You can't use a foreign policy for a residence permit. The company must have an office in Turkey. So any insurance policy you get must be from a Turkish company.

Here's a link to the contact form which goes to Mertsel Insurance. They provide health insurance for residence permits for our members and guests.

https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/18-turkey-residence-permit-health-insurance/

Besides the basic residence permit policies which only meet government standards and have limited coverage, Mertsel also offers more comprehensive private policies that can be tailored to your needs, including what you want to be covered, deductibles, and co-pays.

Their policies also contain the wording that is required for a residence permit, that is, a statement that it meets the minimum Turkish government standards.

Howdy,

I have a specific question about children (the eldest is 10 years old). What is their status when it comes to healthcare? Do I need to get a private health insurance for them?

Thank you. 

For people under age 18 or under and 65 or over health insurance isn't required for a residence permit. Also, after you live in Turkey for one year you can join the government SGK insurance plan which will cover you and your entire family (including children), if you're interested in that.

Thanks, Ken. Beyond the residence permit, how does it work if I have to take one of the kids to a private doctor/dentist? I would imagine they will charge for their services. Would a health insurance cover for part of the expenses should I get one for the kids. 

There are three types of insurance you can get.

1. The minimum-coverage policy specifically for a residence permit.
  2. A more expensive private policy that exceeds the minimum coverage standards, which you can also use for a residence permit as long as it has a statement saying it meets the minimum standards.
  3. SGK national insurance you can get after one year of having a residence permit.

If you can tell me which type of insurance you're referring to, I can give you a more specific answer.

On 29/08/2021 at 09:26, Ken Grubb said:

For people under age 18 or under and 65 or over health insurance isn't required for a residence permit. Also, after you live in Turkey for one year you can join the government SGK insurance plan which will cover you and your entire family (including children), if you're interested in that.

I am 68 and my Fiancé 51; She is no problem but; can I get healthcare insurance that gives me complete coverage ?

It is unthinkable for me to live without full coverage. If available it is probably out of reach expensive ?

Please advice,

Thank you very much

The only way you can get full coverage over age 65 is with the national health insurance plan. You can enroll after you've lived in Turkey for one year. For 2021, the monthly premium of ₺858.60. The premium is the same for everybody.

OK, and does that cover everything ? All the big ugly ones we all hope to avoid ? Heart, cancer, pre existing and so on ?

That is not bad at all if it does; Have tickets to be in Turkey next month.

Hopefully I can get advice from you for my residence permit and maybe legal help to get it done if you know someone not

to expensive ? Health insurance and available good healthcare is important .

Thank you very much Ken

Paul

Thank you REDDERS, I appreciate that info very much; that changes everything for me I think. It is impossible to have peace of mind if no insurance covers the most important health issues that usually occurs late in life.

Let me know if you hear of any miracle changes.....

It does cover those issues, it just won't cover a condition you already have. So if you develop a condition after joining the SGK plan it will be covered.

However, It would be a good idea to get a health report done before you join the SGK plan. That way, if they refuse to cover something saying it was a pre-existing condition, you can use the health health report to prove that it wasn't pre-existing. You can learn how to get a health report here: 

We have someone who does residence permit applications for our members and guests. Her name is Selma Akdeniz. She is also an insurance broker so she can also provide health insurance policies (I mention that for anybody else reading this topic). Selma has a contact form here:

https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/17-residence-permit-application-service/

If you need legal assistance you can contact our community lawyer, Mr. Ender Keleş. He answers questions in the legal forum, so if you just have questions, please ask them there. His contact form is here:

https://www.turkeycentral.com/forms/20-legal-services/

If you would like to learn more about Turkey's national health insurance plan, see this article: