Recommendations for Izmir Neighborhoods

Rate this topic

Hi,

I have been checking the properties in Kusadasi and the prices have soared since I was last here, 3 years ago. The properties are overpriced and they look like Ikea-type boxes. I was thinking of looking in Izmir. Which would be the best neighborhoods and would you recommend one place over another and why (Kusadasi vs Izmir).

Thanks.

Mimi, 

The main reason why the property prices have significantly increased is because of the destructive inflation rate on the Turkish Lira over the past couple of years. Due to the nature of the inflation of the local currency, properties are not the only one whose price have changed but all items that are subject to purchase is no longer at reasonable prices. 

When it comes to a comparison between Kusadasi and Izmir, it is more of an apples & oranges topic. You can compare Kusadasi with other seaside towns, such as, Didim, Cesme, Bodrum etc. but Izmir is not a good versus against Kusadasi, given that it has around 5 million population and offers many opportunities such as job, events  etc, but on the other hand you can't find the same peace and chill life style that you can experience in small seaside towns like Kusadasi, Didim etc. So, it is more of a choice between living in downtown and country side, where both have advantegous & disadvantageous.  

Please share with us if you have any specific questions,  I would be happy to share my personal experiences as a local person living in Izmir. 

Good luck, 

H. Ender KELEŞ | Founding Partner
Avukat / Attorney at Law, LL.M.
T : +90 532 179 1513  |  F : +90 232 486 10 17
E : [email protected]  |  www.eglegal.net
Manas Bulvarı No:74, Trend Office, K:1 D:3 Bayraklı/Izmir- Turkey

I see.I was told that the prices went up after the earthquake because a lot of properties were damaged and there was a lack of them. I guess I want to know in which place it would be easier to find friends, and participate in various activities... I also enjoy being close to the beach and a more relaxed pace. So maybe Kusadasi is a better place for me.

You will find Kusadasi more relaxing than a big city like Izmir, but it will be much quieter in winter time. Izmir tends to be quieter in summer as people move out to the beach towns.

I've lived in both Izmir and Kuşadası. If you can be more specific on what you're looking for, maybe I can help.

As for the best places to live in Izmir, should you choose Izmir, I liked Alsancak because there's a lot of social life there, and a nice seaside area. My second and third choice would be Karşiyaka or Bostanlı. I lived in Alsancak and Bostanlı (among other places) while in Izmir. Bostanlı is considered a place where more rich people live, but you can find places that are affordable. Karşiyaka wasn't much different, but it seemed more concrete and crowded than Bostanlı to me.

Alsancak is more expensive, but you can find less expensive places to live which are near Alsancak around the fuar (fairgrounds), where you can walk to the heart of Alsancak.

I guess I am looking for a place where it is easy to make friends, get around and find things to do year round. If I retire in one of those places, I don’t want to be sitting around bored with nothing to do. I guess I am looking for a diverse expat community. I might want to go to a school to improve my Turkish, take cooking courses, find people to go hiking with...

I'd recommend searching Facebook for Izmir based expat groups. Izmir is a big city, so I'm sure there must be lots of Facebook groups with various interests. And there should be a much wider variety of interests that foreigners have in Izmir, as opposed to many of the smaller expat communities in smaller towns.

• 2 weeks later...