Learn Turkish in Antalya

Rate this topic

Jaafar

There are two schools I'd recommend.

Tömer: This school is a part of Ankara university. You can even get a university degree in Turkish there after you complete 12 courses. If you complete eight, you can get a fluency certificate. They only do classroom courses.

The second recommendation would be the Turkish American Association. They give both classroom and private courses up to and including advanced Turkish.

I've been to both schools and can verify both are of high quality.

@Ken Grubb: Many thanks as always.

I contacted both organization for additional details about their courses. I could not find any on their websites.

If you happen to have any, I would be interested.

Tomer is of interest since in Konyaalti where I happen to live, but the 20 hour/week may be an issue as I need some schedule flexibility. 

I think you would need to visit Tömer or the other school to get more info, I'm sure both schools have brochures in their main offices (Tömer does), and of course people who can answer your questions.

I went to Tömer and had difficulties. There were maybe 15 students in the classes, and a lot of them had Turkish spouses, so they spoke Turkish on a daily basis. Not having that luxury, I struggled to keep up. Later I went to the Turkish American Association (TAA), and ended up getting a private teacher. Basically they just called a certified teacher who worked freelance for them, and we had classes at the TAA.

At one point, since it was only him and me, I suggested we meet at a tea garden instead. He agreed and the TAA had no problem with it, so from then on we met somewhere else for the classes.

So something like that might work for you if you want to pay for private classes. The teacher could meet you wherever it's convenient. They might even have somebody in Konyaaltı.

Tömer doesn't give private classes, so for that TAA would be your best bet.

Something else that might help.

I have taken lots of Turkish courses, although I often end up forgetting the more advanced stuff because the usual conversations I have don't require it. I think I have used practically every course out there!

The best Turkish course I have ever seen, by far, is Kendi Kendine Türkçe. It takes you from level A-1 to Level C-1, which is considered advanced, C-2 is the highest level. It has high-quality online video courses, with a teacher presenting the lesson. Not just some guy in a classroom talking, but an excellent video presentation of the language.

You can buy the book at http://www.speakturkish.org/.

The online videos come with the book.

5 hours ago, Ken Grubb said:

Later I went to the Turkish American Association (TAA), and ended up getting a private teacher. Basically they just called a certified teacher who worked freelance for them, and we had classes at the TAA.

At one point, since it was only him and me, I suggested we meet at a tea garden instead. He agreed and the TAA had no problem with it, so from then on we met somewhere else for the classes.

How much are private one to one lessons?

When you take the course, please let us know how you liked it. Personally, I loved it. Throughout the course, I could understand everything being taught because it was presented so systematically, at just the right pace. If there was anything I didn't understand I could back it up a minute or so and listen again until I got it and it made complete sense to me. That didn't happen very often because the pace of the course was exactly right.

• 3 weeks later...

I received the book over the week-end and started my education : I LOVE it. The combination of book/videos makes a huge difference. I learned if few units and 2 days what I did not in over a month of trying different materials out there. I am looking forward to advancing, and thank you @Ken Grubb for this great recommendation. 

The only bummer is the quality of the print, the binding is poorly done so the pages tend to separate from the spine... I just used tape to put them back in; and I won't hold that against them since their learning system is so great.

I had the same problem with the book. Mine now has a lot of pages that separated from the binding. But the material, especially the videos, is presented so well that I could go through the videos again and understand every word from beginning to end, even in the advanced courses.

I tended to forget a lot of the advanced Turkish because I don't use it. I normally speak just everyday sentences in a taxi, at a restaurant, etc... but the advanced stuff is a sentence like "Ayşe told me Ali was going to go to Ankara tomorrow but she wasn't sure if he would actually go or not." Yet because of that course I still remember how to say things like that!

• 1 month later...
On 17/07/2021 at 23:53, Ken Grubb said:

Something else that might help.

I have taken lots of Turkish courses, although I often end up forgetting the more advanced stuff because the usual conversations I have don't require it. I think I have used practically every course out there!

The best Turkish course I have ever seen, by far, is Kendi Kendine Türkçe. It takes you from level A-1 to Level C-1, which is considered advanced, C-2 is the highest level. It has high-quality online video courses, with a teacher presenting the lesson. Not just some guy in a classroom talking, but an excellent video presentation of the language.

You can buy the book at http://www.speakturkish.org/.

The online videos come with the book.

Thank you Ken for this Turkish language course insight. However, on the website I cannot function since it is only in Turkish and I cannot figure out How to buy the book from the buy book link. I guess they don't take PayPal. :-)

You can use the Google Chrome browser with the Google Translate add-on. Here's an article on how to set it up and use it:

With that you'll be able to read the website in English.

Unfortunately PayPal doesn't work in Turkey. You'll have to use a credit card.