Sign In Now with Your E-mail Address

Rate this topic

I've made a change to the sign-in function requiring members to sign in with their e-mail address rather than their display name.

This is a security measure. Since your display name is plainly visible in the forums, someone who wants to sign in as you will already have half of the sign-in information. Since your e-mail address is always hidden, it makes it more difficult for someone to access your account.

I apologize for any inconvenience, but I want to have the highest level of security possible.

No problem Ken... have there been any problems with this, or are you just being extra cautious?  I know there's a lot of hacking going on everywhere, hoping the troublemakers won't target our forums. :) 

After I posted that I was thinking I should have mentioned something about that!

Since its beginning in 2002, There has never been a security breach of Turkey Central. Please indulge me as I brag a bit about the security level here...

Turkey Central uses the Invision Community platform. It's a top-of-the-line, paid-for community platform, also used by

• NBC
  • Warner Bros.
  • Reuters
  • The National Hockey League
  • The National Football League
  • Jenny Craig
  • Lego
  • Sega
  • Evernote
  • Gibson (the guitar maker)
  • AVG (the antivirus company)

Among other famous companies and organizations. 

The Invision Community platform also has top-of-the-line security features. Invision Community monitors their communities in use and sends out alerts if there are any potential security vulnerabilities.

So besides me, there are a bunch of guys in Lynchburg, Virginia (USA) looking after our community in the same way they look after the communities of NBC and Reuters.

Yesterday, when I upgraded the community, Invision Power recommended that I change a setting so users must sign in with their e-mail addresses instead of their display names (as I explained above). Perhaps it was in an abundance of caution on their part (and mine). But I want to be 100% sure, at all times, that there are zero security vulnerabilities on Turkey Central.