Ginger Biscuits

Rate this topic

I finally got my act together and wrote out the recipe that you've all been waiting for. Here is the basic Ginger Nut biscuit recipe but I modify it a bit and substitute one cup of ground oats. What I do is get a packet of porridge oats (yulaf ezmesi) and whizz up a cupful in a blender so that it looks like rough flour. Once when the electricity was off I ground it in a pestle and mortar which works just as well but you have to put a bit of effort into it (makes 'em taste better though!)I also use fresh ginger and whizz up a big bit or grate it with a fine grater. Once grated it equates to about 2 tablespoons but you might need a bit more flour to soak up the juice.

All the ingredients are readily available here, sometimes I put different spices in but try them out in small amounts first, I nearly blew my head off with one batch and even the dogs wouldn't eat them!

Ingredients1 eggpinch of salt125g butter1 cup sugar 1 tsp powdered cinnamon 2 cups plain flour (or 1 of plain flour and 1 of ground oats)1 tsp honey (or Golden Syrup if you have it)2 tsp ground ginger 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (Karbonat)MethodSift the flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon, salt (and ground ginger if using it) into a bowl then rub in butter until mixture like fine bread crumbs. Beat the egg with the honey and add to dry ingredients. Add fresh grated ginger at this point. Work into firm dough with hands. Roll into small balls about 2cm diameter and place on greased oven trays (or use baking parchment) about 5cm apart. Bake in a moderately slow oven (130

Sounds absolutely delicious and quite made my mouth water:) Oats are available here at the bigger supermarkets but they are much dearer than at home. Haven't seen fresh ginger here but that's because I haven't looked for it:)Cukur - if it's not too much trouble, how about posting one of your wonderful photos to see how they turn out?

You can get fresh Ginger on the markets when in season - big lumps too. I have some in the fridge and some frozen as well. You can also cut the root into smaller pieces and plant them in a pot and the will sprout and grow into new ones for you.

I also found some in Migros once in the veg section.

Yeah I usually get mine in Migros in Kas.

Benh, they don't usually last long enough for me to photograph them but I'll try with the next batch I make. The cheapest oats I can find are about 5 lira for a 1 kilo bag, they are produced in Germany. Quaker Oats are available but they are about 16 lira for a half kilo container, but you can keep nails and things in the container afterwards!

Strangely I have been scouring for days now for ginger..... I guess I will have to wait til my next visit to Izmir as there is none to be found here... and I so wanted a ginger cake....... but those biscuits sound delicious....xxxxxThanks for sharing.....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Cukur - I bet they don't last long:) The oats I found I think were a Turkish make and about 3.75 TL for a smallish box. Germany is muesli-land so coming from there to here was a bit of a contrast. I shall have to look out for fresh ginger. The supermarkets around where I live can hardly be called supermarkets; they just have the bare essentials but thanks to the new metro I can get to Migros in Levent.

Ok, I'm feeling kinda spoiled now since my 1.19 kg bucket of Quaker oats costs less than $2 here and ginger is a year-round commodity in the Super Wal-Mart. I actually just got some ginger the other day to try to dehydrate and make candy out of. Maybe I'll make biscuits instead.