Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

My Flea Misery Continues

Rate this topic

I've had THREE visits from the bug men! One came here only once and I paid too much and wouldn't have him here again as he was really a dodgy type. The other one came to re-spray after 3 weeks (cos of the eggs hatching) and STILL the bastards are hopping about or rather - flying in my face at times. I went out and bought flea powder (it is call Tox) and did the whole house and mixed that with a stronger pesticide powder. I left it for 2-3 days and vacuumed and that helped to decrease the flea population somewhat. That was a few weeks ago and I got bitten again twice yesterday so I am now re-powdering. The smell is vile and gives me a permanent sore throat but as I had some success with it I have to continue. I'll do it once more at Sheker Ramadam and then hopefully the cooler weather will start and the buggers will go to ground. I firmly believe you can never get rid of them as they breed at such a rate so am prepared for this saga every summer. My house looks like a poison sandpit and thank goodness I have no guests at this moment.

I had 5 dogs living in the house at one time and I've never had a big problem with fleas. Yes, from time to time I had to treat the dogs and as a precaution I put powder around and hoovered and that got rid of any that might be lurking. I think yours must be cat fleas as they are more persistant and will bite humans if there aren't any cats around. http://www.turkeycentral.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/6194.gif Perhaps you should get a cat. :D

Ben, yes that is actually what I have heard suggested elsewhere - should all else fail. I don't know anywhere to dogknapp from but there are countless stray moggies up and down this street and probably I should stick one of them inside here considering they are the guilty parties in the first place.But not having had a a pet for ages, I am rather apprehensive at the thought of the damage and dirt one might cause! I have actually made some progress but they are still about and I will never win completely. In my UK house we had a cat many years ago. Long after his departure the flea eggs remained and even despite powdering and so on, they hatch when we have hot summers and bite. But they don't bite like these Turkish fleas do and aren't as big. I am sure in the Mediterranean insects are bigger and stronger. Now my right arm has puffed up in a rash as I am allergice to bug bites. I'm so friggin' fed up today I wish I'd never come here.

My mum had a cat flea problem a year ago and having tried lots of stuff from the shops, I eventually found some treatments on ebay that seemed to work after a while. I remember it was a liquid spray and some kind of smoke bomb thing. But your write, they can be a nightmare to get rid of!AlexMy mum had a cat flea problem a year ago and having tried lots of stuff from the shops, I eventually found some treatments on ebay that seemed to work after a while. I remember it was a liquid spray and some kind of smoke bomb thing. But your write, they can be a nightmare to get rid of!Alex

Alexa - the liquid sprays that the fumigators used here were useless. Liquid evaporates and then the problems returned. I had the house fumigated THREE times and still fleas until I powdered it with something called Tox which brought down the numbers but didn't eradicate them. As the weather became hot again these past few days, the fleas returned. So I have repowdered the house with Tox and household salt which also helps as the fleas gorge themselves on salt and then die, dehydrated. However, none of this eliminates a really severe infestation. All it can do is bring it somewhat under control and then the next hot season, the eggs hatch and the fleas return. As a female can lay half a million eggs, the numbers are somewhat against you:)

I read somewhere that the best way to keep fleas at bay is to keep hoovering to pick up all the eggs remembering to empty your hoover after each go.