Do I Have to Buy a Property in Turkey and Then Apply for a Turkish Residence Permit?

Rate this topic

Hi there, my ultimate goal is to strive for Turkish citizenship. 

If I want to minimize the hassle, should I fly to turkey, find an Airbnb, apply for a tax number, and start house searching, and purchase a property, and then apply for the residence permit?

Or should I just keep renting and apply for a touristic residence permit ever 1-2 years, and at the 4th or the 5th year of me staying in Antalya, I'll then buy house and convert the touristic residency into a real estate residency, then at the conclusion of the 5th year mark apply for Turkish citizenship? 

If I am to purchase a property, should I apply for the residence permit before or after the property purchase? 

I have also heard some rules that I have to apply for residence permit within 30 days of my arrival time, is it true or it's fake news?

Also is there a risk that the Turkish immigration refuse to grant me a residence permit after I have acquired the property, therefore creating a huge hassle?

You can apply for a Residence Permit while staying in rented accommodation and you can apply any time during your tourist visa validity but it is advisable to apply sooner rather than later.

You can still have a Touristic Residence Permit while owning a property but if you want to apply for Citizenship a Real Estate Residence Permit is preferable.

It is advisable to rent for a year or two before buying, you will then have time to learn the system and look for a place that suits you, there are many pitfalls that you will avoid like this.

31 minutes ago, Cukurbagli said:

You can still have a Touristic Residence Permit while owning a property but if you want to apply for Citizenship a Real Estate Residence Permit is preferable.

So individuals can technically say live with the Touristic Residence Permit for 5 years, and then at the conclusion of the fifth year purchase a property and apply for Turkish citizenship, while still maintaining touristic residency?

Essentially yes.

However:

You don't have to wait until the conclusion of the Residence Permit before you buy a property though, you can buy one before that if you want to.

And

You would be advised to submit your Citizenship application while having at least a year's validity remaining on your Residence Permit, the Citizenship application can take a long time.

You're welcome, that's what we try to do :)

On 08/04/2021 at 03:53, vu8 said:

Or should I just keep renting and apply for a touristic residence permit ever 1-2 years, and at the 4th or the 5th year of me staying in Antalya, I'll then buy house and convert the touristic residency into a real estate residency, then at the conclusion of the 5th year mark apply for turkish citizenship? 

You need to confirm this because they may not accept the time with the touristic permit. Purchasing a property means you have invested in the country which leads to citizenship whereas tourist permit is self explanatory.

Here's how it works. You can come to Turkey and stay at a hotel with your visa while you search for a property to buy. You can use the hotel as your address and apply for a short-term residence permit for tourism purposes.

You can actually apply for up to two years while staying at a hotel if you're searching for a property.

You'll have to apply for a touristic residence permit because to apply for a residence permit as a property owner, you must first have the property title deed and information.

When you buy the property and move in to it, you then must change your address at the immigration office.

You can then continue to stay in Turkey with the touristic residence permit while owning and living in your new property until 60 days prior to its expiration, then apply for a residence permit as a property owner.

Or you can do a transfer application for a residence permit as a property owner, but it's not necessary.

To use a hotel as your address, you need a letter from the hotel, using the hotel's letterhead, which says that you're staying there.

Learn more about using a hotel as your address.

It's doubtful you could use an Air B&B property for this. The only way you could do it is if the owner of the property signs a legal document, called a taahütname (basically a legal declaration of intent) where they declare responsibility for your debts if you leave the country without paying them. And that's not going to happen. So you should use a hotel for your address instead.

As Cukurbagli says, you can apply for a residence permit any time you want.

Zohaib is correct. But please allow me to clarify something. While property ownership is usually used by foreigners to demonstrate a close connection to Turkey (which is required for citizenship). It isn't mandatory. You can also prove a close connection through other means without actually owning property.

Also, it's not the type of residence permit, it's the property ownership itself that would prove the close connection with Turkey.

I know I'm being rather pedantic, and I apologize! But I wanted to clarify that because I've been seeing on Facebook groups people saying that a foreigner must own property to become a citizen, and that if they don't own property they can't become a citizen. And that isn't exactly true.

Great info Ken! Yeah I was planning to do the Airbnb for the 1st couple of months, and then try to secure a property and use its address to apply for the residence permit. Do I have to have a letter of guaranty or a rental contract? I can't just show them my bank statement and get the touristic permit approved?

Well I did the same, landed here, stayed in hotels and searched for the property, after 20 days I bought one and then applied for the permit with the address of my own property. 

This is extremely helpful info Zohaib!

The rules for an address don't consider an Air B&B place as an address. They only consider using a hotel as an address, or a friend's house as an address. I gave you the link to the article about using a hotel as an address. Here's the link for staying at a friend's house.

Your Air B&B host probably isn't your friend, and they probably won't do what's necessary for you to use their place as an address. In fact, the Turkish government has imposed new rules on anyone who rents out their place for short-term stays (as people do in Air B&B), because of the possibility of terrorists or other bad people using these places instead of hotels. Hotels copy people's passports and report who is staying there to the police every night. So now people who rent their places through Air B&B do so through rental companies, which report their occupants the same as hotels do.

So I think it will be impossible to use an Air B&B place as an address for what you want to do. You must use a hotel.

Read the article on using a hotel as your address. It explains everything you need.

When you register online, and add your address, you do so with a series of drop-down menus which go from province to district, to neighborhood, to the building, and the apartment. It works the same for all possible addresses you can use, including hotel rooms. So each hotel room in Turkey is also registered in the central address system.

You'll be applying for a short-term touristic residence permit first. I wrote an entire step-by-step article on how to get one here:

That article explains everything you must do and what you need.

Usually to prove that you have enough money, a simple print-out of the last six months of your bank account from your home country is sufficient.

By the way, thanks to Zohaib from me, too! It looks like he might have come to Turkey and bought a property while he was still on his visa, then got his residence permit as a property owner after he bought his property. As I understand, you can buy a property without being a resident first. I'll send a personal message to Zohaib to verify.

Vu8, as you go through the process of coming to Turkey and buying a property, would you please update this topic with your progress and let us know what you learn? I do my best to verify things by reading laws and talking to government officials, but there's nothing better than a real personal experience like yours.

Will do dear Mr. Grubb, as this Forum will also be my lifeline when I'm navigating Antalya in person this October lol! 

My current lease in Las Vegas Nevada ends in October 20, 2021, so am planning to get my testing done at EWR and then fly to Antalya after I get my negative result, as well as the HES code from the TR health ministry.

Ah, Las Vegas. I visited it before and was very impressed. I think you'll like Antalya, where I have been for the last nine years. You're in the right place, everybody here is helpful. And I'll do my best to help as well.

• Ken Grubb changed the title to Do I Have to Buy a Property in Turkey and Then Apply for a Turkish Residence Permit?