Residence permit application taking too long

Rate this topic

Hi, I applied for my short term student residence permit in early November and I got approval in February (93 days), and now it has been in ‘printing stage’ for 48 days today, is something wrong? Or does it usually take this long?

Also i never received any sms about the application, I only know because I check the ikamet website regularly, is this normal?

Thanks.

That's a very long time. In fact, it's beyond the time they're legally supposed to process a residence permit. Normally when a residence permit application is taking a long time, people call the helpline at 157, or go to the immigration office to inquire about it, and normally the immigration official will just say that they only thing they know is that it's still being processed or is in the printing stage.

However, yours has gone beyond the limit, so it might be a good idea to do that. Start off by contacting your school's student affairs office. Next, call the 157 helpline (you can call that number for free from any telephone in Turkey). Be sure to let the immigration official know the amount of time it's taken since it's beyond the limit.

I just talked to them and they told me there was a problem during the printing stage and that I should go to "Kumkapi il goc idaresi" with my biometric photos and passport to resolve it, so i will go tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

OK good then. It's a common problem that is easily resolved.

I think what's happened is that they're having problems getting biometric measurements from the photo you provided, so they need another photo to get the proper measurements. Normally the online application system will assess the photo when you upload it and reject it if there are any problems with the photo quality. Occasionally a photo will get past that first automated assessment and cause issues later when the do the actual biometric measurements.

I believe they'll just need another copy of the photo you submitted, or they'll take another photo of you at the immigration office.

Would you let me know what happens when you go to the immigration office?

Okay great, I hope thats the case. And hopefully I don't have to wait for the printing procedure all over again, considering how long it has already been. 

Also yeah i'll provide an update here on how it goes at the immigration department, might be useful to others someday.

Well it was an unproductive visit today, I told them about the case and they just said they've had a system problem and thats why everything is delayed and that there is no problem with the photos or anything. That I just have to wait 2 more weeks and it should arrive, but that if it doesn't come in 2 weeks then I should come back to them.

Hmm. I wonder what the photos had to do with it then. In any case, it looks like you're going to get your residence permit card, just not as fast as you normally would.

Thanks for letting me know how it went. I hope your card comes quickly!