How Can I Receive Mail in Turkey?

Rate this topic

Hello, in a few days I will go to Turkey from the USA on urgent personal business. During my time there some documents from the USA will finish processing and I want to recieve them as soon as possible by post. I will be in Ankara and will be staying in some hotels.  Can I send mail to the post office and retrieve it there? Or do I need an address (IE, apartment)? I am not a Turkish national. 

I rent a post office box at my local PTT (post office). I don't know if you could get mail at a local post office under your name only, but you could go there and ask. If they can't do it, you can always rent a post office box.

The availability of the boxes depends on the post office. Sometimes they don't have any boxes available. If that's the case you could go to other nearby post offices and see if they have a box available.

My post office box costs 20 TL per year, which is incredibly cheap. So even if you don't use it for a year, it might be worth buying one anyway.

I infer from your post that you will be staying in Ankara for a limited period of time and won't be applying for a residence permit. If I am correct then your best choice would be to have the letters sent to one of the hotels you will be staying in.

Like Ken above I too have a Post Office box but you need to have a Residence Permit before you can apply for one.

Çukurbağlı's blog. Warning - takes you off the forum and into the www.wilderness

• Ken Grubb changed the title to How Can I Receive Mail in Turkey?