Customs Problem with FedEx Package Delivery to Turkey

Rate this topic

Customs parcel Broker Help Needed.

I sent a parcel to my daughter, Who lives in Marmaris, It just contained her personal belongings, and a couple of Christmas & birthday gifts.  I went on a comparison website, and it was parcel compare/ parcel Hero who the booking was made with.

FedEx collected the parcel the next day. And I thought all was good. The parcel has now been at customs in Istanbul for the past week, And I have been told we need a broker to clear the items.

We had no idea about this. FedEx won’t help because we booked through a 3rd party (they won’t even allow the parcel to be returned to me in the UK) and parcel hero are saying we should have been aware of this situation. My daughter has tried to find a broker to help, But most say they only deal with companies, not individuals.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and can offer any help or advice on finding a broker to deal with this. I have been told that after 30 days, The parcel will be destroyed, which will be devastating for my daughter, as some of the items are personal memories that can’t be replaced.

Just sharing my experience here... I ordered a book from Amazon.co.uk maybe ten days ago. The delivery company called me a few days later, and said they needed my foreigner ID number so the package could clear customs. So I gave it to them over the phone.

I got the package in Antalya the next day. So I'm thinking you could ask your daughter to find out from the delivery company what office she would need to call and get the telephone number, then have a Turkish friend call for her to find out from customs themselves what they need.

I've never heard of a customs agent being needed to clear a simple parcel in customs. I've had to pay a customs fee when a package arrived at the post office, and in this case have had to give them my foreigner ID, but that's all.

You didn't say who told you you need a customs broker. Sometimes people just talk off the top of their heads without really knowing what's involved. Information can also change when it's passed from one person to another, or one government official to another. In the past I've followed up on information I was told and found out it was wrong. So if I was in your daughter's situation, I'd definitely follow up and go to the source.

I'll give you an example. I had overstayed my residence permit once. The border policeman said I had to leave the country for three months. I called my embassy, who called the immigration office, and they said I could pay a fine and simply renew my residence permit (I don't think it's like that any more).

Then I went back to the border policeman and mentioned that he told me I had to leave Turkey for three months. He acknowledged this. Then I asked "couldn't I have just paid a fine and just renewed my residence permit?" and he said "Yes, you could do that too."

Why didn't he tell me that in the first place? Because I didn't ask!

I've learned that I have to ask a question in the right way to get a correct answer. I suspect this is the case with your daughter's package and customs.

So she should definitely follow up on this and not assume what she's being told is correct, no matter who is giving her this information.

Hi everyone, Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. FedEx have been emailing with the customs department in Turkey, And they said that the Turkish customs people would not allow FedEx to be the broker for this consignment.

My daughter then got an email from the customs lady in Turkey, Asking my daughter for her details, copy of her passport and photos of her passport stamps when she entered the country. I also took the advice which several people on here gave me, To add her Turkish ID number, She is still waiting for her card to arrive, so I told her to also put her partners details down, and his ID number, As they are both registered at the same address.

She received an Email the next day, saying that the parcel will now be cleared through customs, And will be delivered to her, And this will take around 4 business days.  I am not sure which particular factor helped, But I feel relieved that she will finally get her stuff. So we are keeping everything crossed now, That it will arrive next week, Once again thank you all for the help you gave me

Excellent! I'm happy things worked out and she'll now get her package. It must be a big relief.

One question I have: She got an e-mail from the customs lady. Did your daughter contact the customs office first? Or did that come as part of the regular process without your daughter contacting them?

I'm asking because if someone else has the same problem, I'd like to understand more about how it works.

I was given the FedEx customs lady email and number But the number was not in service) I wrote to Elif Mutlu first. She just wrote back, sorry we can’t help you.. That was it.

I had complained to just about everyone at FedEx, making multiple calls and sending multiple emails each day. Then a lady called Angela Forbes got involved with my case, And she was the one that really got the ball rolling.

My daughter then got an email from this Elif woman requesting her details & contents of boxes photos of passport etc. They had told the UK lady (Angela) that they had been trying to contact shy & Diyar by phone and email, But got no reply... This was a lie.

We was given a FedEx customs email, when we first started to complain, and was told to contact then. This was one of the many emails that was returned to us, as the email address was not in use.

My daughter was told she had to contact the customs department first, to give them instructions of the Broker she wanted to use. but they was unreachable. I think if the English lady at FedEx had not of been helping, we would of just never seen the parcels again... ( not that we have the parcels yet ourselves) This has totally put me off sending any further stuff to her.

when I lived in Istanbul, I sent 5 boxes to my new home, They arrived a few days later, I had to show the courier my passport, and pay a small fee ( not sure why, But just paid it...) it was that simple, This was only a little over 2 years ago.

The only thing I would suggest is to check that when you look for a courier to send your parcel to Turkey, Read the small print, and check that they are going to assign a Turkish Broker, to get your parcel through customs.

My nightmare isn’t over yet, The parcel according to the tracking, is still arrived at customs, and just been sitting there for the past 14 days. My daughter was told she would get it yesterday.  But it still hasn’t arrived as of today.. And tracking info still as before.

Wow that is really frustrating. I'm sorry you've had to go through all of this. I hope the parcel gets moving soon, hopefully since it's in tracking (at least) and you're daughter's been told it will be delivered, that will get things moving.

Thanks for letting us know what's been happening, and especially for your advice. I was unaware of how such issues could come up when something is sent using a consolidator website like that (I didn't even know they existed).

I hope her package gets there soon.

• Ken Grubb changed the title to Customs Problem with FedEx Package Delivery to Turkey