Sign in to follow this  
benhalterci

Flea Time - Help!

Rate this topic

I've been back in Istanbul for 2 weeks now but the reason I haven't plagued you all with my postings (but hey, now I'll make up for it!) is that my dear old house developed numerous problems during my time away. Apart from a few minor tings which I got fixed (except my wooden blinds have warped with the sun and the mechanism has gone so need replacing)I am BEING EATEN ALIVE by fleas:( My neighbour got one of the best bugbusters around and he sprayed everyone else's apartments in the building and they are all happy now except me:( I woke up in the morning with more bites on my feet (which hardly have any more room for bites) and now on my body and face. The bugbuster came back and did everywhere again - mattress and cushions, windows, kitchen tops as well as all the floor of course - but he says this is the worst case of fleas he has ever seen!It doesn't help we have all these stray moggies outside in our quaint little street. This he says, is principally how the fleas have arrived. But getting rid of them is seemingly an endless battle.Thoughts and experiences anyone?

.........Sorry benh I can't help with your problem, it's something I have never had to deal with here in my home or anywhere else so couldn't possibly know what to suggest, it would be driving me nuts though, hope you get the little b******ds sorted soon...Glad you got home OK and nice you have started posting again......

Hi BenH, welcome back. Hope you're not in such pain now. I saw some flea stuff that sprays on for dogs in Migros yesterday. I think it might be for dog or cat beds but putting some of that on your bedclothes might work. I'd try all the insecticides if it was me. The stuff I saw was in a small white spray can I think, about the same size as the Off! sprays.

I think fleas like the warmth of the summer but I've not had many ticks on the dogs this year.

Cukur thanks! YOu can't remember the name of this stuff by any chance can you? I will go to Migros tomorrow and ask around. The local authority's infestation man has come around for the SECOND time and the house smells like a giant fly spray but they are STILL biting me:( I have hundreds and hundreds of bites and am in misery. I just feel like selling up and going home now I am so depressed. Fleas are the worst. We had one cat years ago at home in the Uk that had fleas and every summer we get flea bites despite having put stuff down. They must be one of the hardest insects to get rid of.

I can't at the moment, sorry, but I'll be down in Kas tomorrow so I'll check.

god i feel for u i know how it feels....when i was in greece staying with my x in his sisters flat it was one hot summer and the flat had been empty for some time but people were known to have pets in the flats when they shouldnt have had as contract said...anyway.....dont know how they got in the flat and more in one room but (must be story of my life) i had argued with him so instead of sleeping on the sofa with him in the only cool room of the house i chose to sleep on the bed in the spare room (the hottest)...i never checked the sheets ( i should have) and our water was cut off so i didnt wash the sheets or myself for 2 days....this was a few yrs back and in smaller place....we couldnt work out why each day i was getting covered in bites and why i felt so ill. he had some but not as many as me plus he had swam in the sea whilst i couldnt (work it out)...so for over 3-4 days i was eaten alive without a clue why (sister had no pets that we knew of).....works out after we left the landlord called us to say the whole block had been full of them and that most of the places being student flats were rarely occupied and they had been like hot houses. he said some of the mattresss had to be dumped as they were infested....im itching just thinking of this.the council came to fumigate but they had to throw away the mattress as the thought just ate at the sister on her return.so what helped partner not get bitten- sea salt or maybe it healed the bites faster. where did they live the longest- in the matress it seems and it was the least aired room too.god good luck gal and i feel for uhope it gets sorted soon :P

Thats terrible..I read the site of a bugbuster company, and found this:Flea is not easy to fight..Their eggs dont get any harm whatsoever from the chemicals used. So there must be a 20 days of interval between the two applications of poison. Eggs open in 8-10 days , it may take longer if temperature is not suitable. A female flea can lay 2000 eggs. :P What I understand from this is that, if the timing is wrong, there is no use to spread posion one after the other, eggs will stay alive and new fleas will pop out.So the 'bugbuster' working for you must know this..May be you should try the word 'pire' (flea) on the search engine. From among the bugbusters you can pick up one who hopefully knows what should be done properly..You said: My neighbour got one of the best bugbusters around and he sprayed everyone else's apartments in the building and they are all happy now except me.If by everyones else's you mean that all the apartments except yours, I'm afraid that great bugbuster didnt know that or simply didnt mind that the fleas running away would find shelter in your apartment.

I really don't know what to do...my legs are so covered with bites you can hardly see the skin and they've bitten me on the face and the trunk and the arms. I am thinking of calling the guy who zapped my roaches. It's another lot of 150 TL but I am quite desperate by now. They are biting literally ALL the time. About the only other thing is to lock up and go home until October but even then it can be warm here. They seem much harder to combat than roaches or mossies.Just read all the answers again...I might buy some sea salt tomorrow if they sell any in Turkey and I want to see what the situation is like tomorrow morning. He sprayed all my mattress but if Saffron is right that won't make any difference. Yes, if he was a flea expert he should know about this 20 day thing and they could well have taken refuge in my flat if they've gone in the others though why MY flat is a bit mysterious.

Youv'e got my total sympathy.I have a cat, and whilst mostly she didn't have a problem, last year she got some and from then on the whole house was soon full of em.I treated the carpets, the furniture, the curtains.... but yes, the initial hatched fleas would be zapped, and then their offspring would continue the family profession of making our lives a misery and keeping us awake at night.In desparation, my husband bought a spot-on treatment for the cat from the supermarket.... but he nearly managed to kill the cat, as well as the fleas. He didn't think it would matter that there were no 'cat' ones left, and thought a dog one would be ok. Fortunately, we have a good animal hospital nearby. The

benh -- if you suspect the mattress to be the fleas' headquarters (where their nest is), maybe it would be cheaper to toss it & get a new one ? The sea salt sounds promising, or perhaps any other substance that might deter them. I feel for you too -- those fleas must certainly be persistent to resist all those srtong chemicals ! I hope they don't affect your health adversely (the chemicals I mean) ! Have you got something to smear on the bites ?Ge

The best way to get rid of fleas is to hoover thoroughly to suck up the eggs and dispose of the dust etc. in a polythene bag and put it in an outside bin straight away.Also get a tub of Bolfo powder and put liberally around the place. Bolfo is used by farmers etc. to get rid of pests.

Hi BenhWell I'm afraid it looks as though my memory played tricks on me again, I checked in Migros and it is a new Tick spray that they have. Sorry.I heard of another clever idea though. Put a hot water bottle in the bed after you've got out of it in the morning and the fleas will go to that. Then you can whip back the covers and hoover them up. Apparently it works a treat but I haven't tried it.Would you believe I've got fleas in my bed now! I left someone else's duvet on it (long and very boring story). So bedclothes have been washed at 90

The other person wouldn't be one of the dogs would it? :)Hang on a minute, a duvet, in August? You must be some hot-house flower to need one in these temperatures! :)

Ha ha, not she's not a dog, and the duvet was only put there for about 4 hours but that seems to have been enough for the little so an so's to get into my bedclothes. I think her cat had been sleeping on the duvet for a few months, it smelled a bit iffy.With the windows open and the cool night temperatures up here in the hills some nights it's nice to have a duvet or extra blanket close by.Where do you get Bolfo powder?

Cat fleas are more likely to bite humans than dog fleas apparently. You can get Bolfo from pet/garden shops or council (?) places that sell chemicals etc to farmers.

People, firstly thank you all for your input:)The flea infestation continues and these ARE cat fleas and no I don't have an animal so they are feasting on me. Last night was the worst. I could hardly sleep as I felt as if I was being bitten every second and awoke with hundreds of new bites. I have spent 300 TL on getting two recommended bug busters in who sprayed the place with pesticide and apart from the place smelling like a fly spray, the problem has remained and i am getting bitten even worse in the hot nights.I read a bit online about all this. As well as table salt, there are powders to put down and I bought two canisters of something called flea salt and another powder which is supposed to kill all insects so I'm putting that down everywhere, leaving it for 48 hours as they recommend and then vacuuming everywhere.I have got antihistamine tablets and gel for the bites which are so numerous I am surprised they are still finding places to bite.In addition to trying to get rid of them I want to repel them and mossie repellents of course don't work. OFF is useless and so are lemony colognes and so on.I found out that fleas dislike lavander and eucalyptus oils so found a nice man in the Fish Pasaj who sells herbs and so on and bought a small bottle of each oil to dab at the worst points. I'll probably smear them all over the feet and legs tonight and see if that helps.Out of all the house, mine is the only apartment that is still infested. This is because the place was shut for nine hot weeks and they probably bred here!fleas are way harder to get rid of than mossies but one of my Turkish friends said she did it with flea powder. They don't sell Bolfon any more (at least not here) but I hope the other powders I bought will work. The shop offered me a liquid solution with a spray but I've had my whole house sprayed THREE times with liquid pesticide and it didn't work and I hate it so I'm going to try the powder instead.The worst of it is being unable to sleep and the sheer number of bites.